YOUR POST OFFICE

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I guarantee you mine is a contender for worst post office in the United States. 20 minutes in line is the norm. Workers give customers an attitude when they're confused. They must getting hamburgers in the backroom, cuz it takes them literally 15 minutes to find one package. Their faces look dead. There are no smiles, but the smirk on the worker's face when he or she faces an obviously agitated customer.b, 21b, 21Things that I have overhead:b,121b, 21Guy in late 20s, walks in, walks out, "F*ck THIS SHIT!!!"b, 21b, 21Women in 40s talking to her friend in line "I just wanna shoot them!"

Comments

• For real, that sucks.. I'm in Ontario and every post office I've ever used has been great sometimes my clerk helps me save money by planning out which service I should useb,121b, 21Subway officials on the other hand img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" /1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yuichi: which one you go to? The one on Exposition?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yuichi: which one you go to? The one on Exposition? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Yup. Luckily I don't ship packages that often.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    mine rules...the only thing they don't do that I wish they did, was when someone gets up to the counter with a package slip they don't ask if anyone else in line has one, that would cut down on people's waits big time.

• I go to the Santa Monica/Fairfax post office and there are often half hour lines. That's when I use the machine. Also the tellers have mad attitude, but with the stuff I see customers pull, I don't blame them. They love me, though. I have them charmed. Even after I went on a vulgarity laden tirade on another customer, threatening to knock him out. I think they liked me more after that.b, 21b, 21Just smile and treat them like humans. They will love you for it.

• However quirky your post offices might seem, let me assure you that Brooklyn's post offices are leading this race to the bottom by a mile.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Funny post. Seattle Chinatown post office is great. One block away from my building and the staff is always friendly and helpful. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" /1

• I'll agree with you that post offices can be frustrating places and sometimes you get that "just open a new f*cking window" feeling, but...b, 21b, 21b, 21everytime I hear some dude bitching about "this is ridiculous" and "oh come on. (turns around) Can you believe this?" I think to myself "what a f*cking asshole."b, 21b, 21Yes, there are legitimate times to get upset at the lines, but it's the post office. It's kind of one of things you should expect. The people who huff and haw in line and try to rally the troops in support of their "this is ridiculous" campaign can choke on a customs form. I'm not trying to join your asshole party and I don't want to be seen talking to you.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yuichi: which one you go to? The one on Exposition? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Yup. Luckily I don't ship packages that often. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21shipping, no. but i did you hear you're that dude for receiving large packages quite often. especially ones that where clad in leather and have a faint musk.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i got a real good one and it takes the sting out of mailing many packagesb, 21b, 21all korean or indian ladies b, 21one of which i have nicke named "lightning" beacuse she is so FAST!!b, 21and I can make her Blush every time i call her that ...shit is funny yo

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I live around the block from my PO and thank goodness everybody pretty much has a good personality.b, 21I had to go to the Bridgeport PO once and holy Christ what a bunch of miserable bastards.b, 21EVERYTHING was a problem and a major chore for them, even reaching over for a book of stamps.b, 21And a tip for when you're in a long line at the PO:b,121If you're lucky enough to be facing the entrance, focus on incoming peoples faces and watch their expressions change, I've done this for years and it's pretty damn entertaining...and I agree with C7 on the cats making outbursts in line. I generally tell then to shut the F*ck up and get here earlier next time if they throw that negative shit my way.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21everytime I hear some dude bitching about "this is ridiculous" and "oh come on. (turns around) Can you believe this?" I think to myself "what a f*cking asshole."b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21so annoying...i say suffer in silence!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I mail so many packages that they gave me a special card that lets me cut in line. It's pretty awesome.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    at my local PO there was an older mail lady who would always handle my packages, she was great, we'd talk politics, music & stuff - she would also give me homemade brownies! b, 21b, 21unfortunately she died this summer from an infection after a liver transplantb, 21b, 21RIP Ms Lumpkin, you are missedb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/530.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I mail so many packages that they gave me a special card that lets me cut in line. It's pretty awesome. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21You know what would be neat, is a special window or branch where high volume shippers could go and do their business. It sucks for everyone when I've got 30 records to ship out and like an 80 year old lady walks in and wants to buy a stamped envelope and has to wait for them to ring all my shit up first. I try to facilitate when I can, but if they're already in the middle of the transaction there isn't anything you can do. And then you get the "Can you believe this" assholes who will even try to start shit with me cause I have too much stuff to ship. Sometimes I want to turn to them and say, "I spent 15 grand at this branch last year, whose business do you think they'd rather have, mine or yours?"

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121You know what would be neat, is a special window or branch where high volume shippers could go and do their business.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21This is essentially what it is. They just started it earlier this year so maybe it'll catch on. It seems like this would actually make more sense in "the big city" anyhow. My PO doesn't even get all that busy.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121You know what would be neat, is a special window or branch where high volume shippers could go and do their business.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21This is essentially what it is. They just started it earlier this year so maybe it'll catch on. It seems like this would actually make more sense in "the big city" anyhow. My PO doesn't even get all that busy. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21b,121b, 21It's called the "BUSINESS LINE" and it is nothing new. Maybe they just opened one at your local post office but I've had a well worn pass for years now. b,121b, 21If you are constantly selling and mailing things, I highly recommend it. b,121b, 21Fill out a form and wait for your special pass to appear magically in the mail. b,121b, 21You get to "cut" in front of folks in the standard line if your local P.O. has a business window. Good luck dealing with the grumbling of half.com housewives people waiting to get their passports and and dude who sells matchbox cars. Also be prepared for routine closures of the business window/line as workers go on lunch, so get the schedule down. b,121b, 21Just like finding any quality service in life, it's all about finding a good local post office and developing a relationship. Cookies and treats seem to help, too. b,121b, 21Good luck!

• I don't think they have a Business Line at any of the branches around here. Why must I cry?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121It sucks for everyone when I've got 30 records to ship out and like an 80 year old lady walks in and wants to buy a stamped envelope and has to wait for them to ring all my shit up first. I try to facilitate when I can, but if they're already in the middle of the transaction there isn't anything you can do. And then you get the "Can you believe this" assholes who will even try to start shit with me cause I have too much stuff to ship. Sometimes I want to turn to them and say, "I spent 15 grand at this branch last year, whose business do you think they'd rather have, mine or yours?" b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21^^^Nail on the head, I often run that exact scenario/conversation in my head as I wait for the business line or occupY that window. Postal employees are told that it doesn't matter about volume, you got there first in line. b, 21b, 21The point is the pass lets you "cut" but grandma waiting for her elvis stamps will still have to wait for you, since you are occupying that window, especially if other workers have gone on lunch. b,121b, 21Learn the schedule at your local P.O. and find one with lots of windows. Definitely helps reduce on the glare you get from fellow customers. b,121b, 21Of course if you go all the time you develop a relationship with the employees and hopefully the management at your local P.O. That also helps. b,121b, 21Okay, enough about the post office. I'm way overdue for dinner and game 3 fuk these terds I bought today. b,121b, 21Good luck!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I don't think they have a Business Line at any of the branches around here. Why must I cry? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21OUCHb,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raerface.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/717.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" /1

I guess those of us who don't live in the cultural mecca that is San Diego are made to suffer.

the last time I went to the PO I was in line behind a guy trying to mail a live goat

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121the last time I went to the PO I was in line behind a guy trying to mail a live goat b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raw.gif" alt="" /1

do they let bums panhandle in line at any of y'alls post offices?

• the employees are miserable because the P.O. drug test, most employees beat their wives or drink heavily hence not in the best mood to deal with you. b,121b, 21real img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/baller3ae.gif" alt="" /1 shippers don't F*ck with the line at all and just load packages with pre-paid labbels to carts in the back of the post office that get loaded directly onto trucks

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121However quirky your post offices might seem, let me assure you that Brooklyn's post offices are leading this race to the bottom by a mile. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Nope. Two years ago, the U.S. Postmaster General a href="http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=4589877" target="_blank"1personally visited town/a1 and apologized to the city of Chicago for the general level of incompetence manifest within their operating centers here.b,121b, 21 a href="http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1316/is_/ai_15585482" target="_blank"1Things haven't changed much in over a decade./a1b,121b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 The mid-December news story, coming a month after yet another angry Yates letter to Postmaster General Marvin Runyon, led Rogers to order his staff and a team of postal inspectors to find out just how bad things really were "up north." The resulting two-pronged inquiry took the hide off Chicago Postmaster Jimmie Mason's north lakefront operations and found that many of the problems were citywide. Yet Mason did little except write Rogers an upbeat memo that promised reform without providing substance. In response to that lack of response, members of Rogers' staff leaked copies of the two investigative reports.b, 21b, 21These reports, which hit the city like bombshells, revealed that:b, 21b, 21* Mammoth mounds of undelivered mail were found at several stations--including one pile 800 feet long, nearly the length of three football fields.b, 21b, 21* Information and complaint phones sometimes rang scores of times before being answered--if they were answered at all.b, 21b, 21* Mail deliveries frequently were late or were skipped; many carriers lost mail, failed to deliver it, or didn't forward it for weeks or months. Other carriers didn't want to go out in the cold, or came in when it got dark without checking with supervisors.b, 21b, 21* Lines were lengthy and waits interminable at postal station windows; lobbies were dingy and filthy; stamp and envelope vending machines didn't work; clerks were surly and unhelpful; and vacation "holds" on mail weren't started or weren't stopped.b, 21b, 21* Discipline was erratic and frequently ineffective and morale was too often in the toilet. Workers complained that on-the-job drug and alcohol abuse sometimes went unpunished.b, 21b, 21Hard working, conscientious carriers and postal station workers too often were discouraged by the chaos around them. The performance of even the best, most dedicated employees suffered as a result. Adding names and faces to these investigative findings were individual horror stories from postal customers who had phoned, faxed, messengered--and even mailed in--their complaints to reporters after the December story had run.b, 21b, 21Before, during, and after this series of disclosures, there was more bad news. One carrier was found with 40,000 pieces of undelivered mail--some more than two months old--stashed in the back of his uninspected delivery truck. Another 20,000 pieces, some 11 years old, were found when the basement of a retired carrier's home was cleaned out. Nearly 200 pounds of commercial mail was found burning beneath a railroad viaduct and more than a ton of undelivered mail was found when fire broke out in a Chicago carrier's suburban condo. Fifteen hundred pieces of mail, much of it five years old, were found beneath the back porch of an ex-carrier's former home, and a rural letter carrier, who took his car in for new shocks, stunned mechanics when they found his trunk full of old mail.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21 a href="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07E6D8123CF930A15750C0A962958260" target="_blank"1Another link, from when the NY Times investigated it 14 years ago./a1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yuichi: which one you go to? The one on Exposition? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Yup. Luckily I don't ship packages that often. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Dude, that's the same one I use and I've almost never had a problem there in the 2+ years I've been using them. There might have been one time when picking up a vacation hold took 15-20 minutes, but that was also because I was waiting for my shit alongside 4 other people. I've always found the folks who work there to be decent - not the nicest folk but hardly the surliest I've seen. b, 21b, 21The problem isn't the people who work there. It's the entitled, d-bag Westside crowd who use that post office.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Back in 2000, a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/03/17/MN13431.DTL" target="_blank"1The Stanford Post Office was on some Chicago level shadiness./a1 I was living on campus at the time and I had to switch my address on my credit card bills to my work address because they were not arriving on time, or at all.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There was a time when my post office would have only one person working during a peak time (7:30am, 12noon, or 3pm). Not good when you have one envelope and one package to mail, and there are no stamp machines there. Better to go to the post office at the supermarket, they pretty much do everything except international shipping.b,121b, 21A few years ago, there was a news story about how a lot of mail had been stuck in a warehouse in or near Spokane, Washington, and this was for mail meant for within the state, along with what was meant to go to its proper destination. The news crew went into the warehouse, saw things postmarked with dates that were 18 months old, and no one could understand why.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yuichi: which one you go to? The one on Exposition? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Yup. Luckily I don't ship packages that often. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Dude, that's the same one I use and I've almost never had a problem there in the 2+ years I've been using them. There might have been one time when picking up a vacation hold took 15-20 minutes, but that was also because I was waiting for my shit alongside 4 other people. I've always found the folks who work there to be decent - not the nicest folk but hardly the surliest I've seen. b,121b, 21The problem isn't the people who work there. It's the entitled, d-bag Westside crowd who use that post office. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21No, that post office sucks, workers and all.b,121b, 21You can justify poor service however way you like, but bad service is bad service.