A little Help with this Please

breaxjunkiebreaxjunkie 97 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Daam,b,121b,121I am an Idiot! LOL b,121this is a classic i've listened to it times and times again, but now i can't really locate it in my memory!b,121b,121Can someone help me? b,121b,121a href="http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/30/1730272/Beat_2.mp3" target="_blank"1Beat_2.mp3b,121b,121thank you.

Comments

• It is obviously an "Ode To Billie Joe", do you guys know whose this version is? somebody?b,121anybody...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    hey check out this thread.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121hey check out this thread. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121What tuning do you use on your banjo, or do you change it? I found a youtube for open-g. Seems to work for the one song I can play so far. My lady got me a lesson at goodtime next wednesday.

• whoa, BOOBS!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    BCear I use CGDA tuning. Its the standard tenor tuning for playing early jazz stuff. Irish Music is also played on the tenor, but thats a different tuning. I'm not really into Irish music I guess, so I have never tried it.b,121b,121The way I have been learning is by finding a song I like, then look up the chords for it online, then there are charts online that show you how to play those chords, and there you go. If you learn 3 chords there are a ton of songs you can play.b,121b,121You could also just pick out a melody on 1 string... or....b,121b,121you could do both at the same time... a style called "chord melody" which is where you not only play the melody but also the chords too at the same time. So if the melody of the song called for a C chord with the E note as the melody, you just play the "inversion" of the C chord that puts the E on top. Its actually not as hard as it sounds. Because CGDA tuning is tuned in 5ths, that same fingers for a C chord with the E on top is the exact same for any chord with the 3rd on top. Once you learn the chord shapes for every note in scale you open up a WIDE range of music.b,121b,121Of course, knowing a bit about chords and scales and notes helps a lot. I already knew that stuff before I began, so it was just a matter of figuring out how to do it on the banjo. b,121b,121You can also find some chord-melody charts out there that tell you how to finger the chords, although they are actually pretty hard to find for the tenor banjo. b,121b,121And you don't have to play just old jazz either. Last night I was playing "I wear my sunglasses at night" as a joke. Its totally doable. I can play scorpio too.b,121b,121When you show up to your lesson the teacher will probably ask what type of music you want to play. If you say "duelling banjos type hillbilly music" he will tell you that you got the wrong banjo.... just a heads up.