Ive changed my mind about smoking in bars

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
I dont like the smoking ban...at first, I was looking forward to it...not smelling like an ashtray when I got home, no second hand smoke, etc...b,121b,121but we had our soul night Saturday and it wasnt a super big success, but we had over 150 people there based on what the door took in, but I dont think there were ever more than 75 people inside as it seemed it was a big rotation of smokers that kept going outside...really kills the momentum of a DJ night and I could only imagine what it would be like if I was in a band and kept watching folks go outside and end up out there for 20 minutes...I mean Im glad people chose our sidewalk and were willing to pay a cover charge to hang ut on it when they could have chosen a different sidewalk...but it makes it hard to get it goin like it oughta with dozens of folks going outside every friggin 15 minutes...b,121b,121bring the smoking back, for fun's sake

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I dont like the smoking ban...at first, I was looking forward to it...not smelling like an ashtray when I got home, no second hand smoke, etc...
    b,121
    b,121but we had our soul night Saturday and it wasnt a super big success, but we had over 150 people there based on what the door took in, but I dont think there were ever more than 75 people inside as it seemed it was a big rotation of smokers that kept going outside...really kills the momentum of a DJ night and I could only imagine what it would be like if I was in a band and kept watching folks go outside and end up out there for 20 minutes...I mean Im glad people chose our sidewalk and were willing to pay a cover charge to hang ut on it when they could have chosen a different sidewalk...but it makes it hard to get it goin like it oughta with dozens of folks going outside every friggin 15 minutes...
    b,121
    b,121bring the smoking back, for fun's sake1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I said it then and I'll say it now.....b,121b,121If a club owner wants to allow smoking he should have that right.b,121b,121Anyone who disagrees can kiss my "never smoked a cigarette in my life" ass.

• Dudes, you're missing the point. 1Smoking bans have clearly improved the smell of peoples clothes.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Dudes, you're missing the point. 1Smoking bans have clearly improved the smell of peoples clothes.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Now if we can just pass a law to make them wash their asses and use some deodorant.....

• Smoking makes people look stupid. 1b,121b,121b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121b,121b,121Except Obama.b,121b,121When I heard he smoked I was going to vote for McCain, till I found out he smokes the crushed bones of infants. Pro life my ass.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121but it makes it hard to get it goin like it oughta with dozens of folks going outside every friggin 15 minutes...
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I can see this being very wack for a DJ.1b,121b,121b,121I was at a loft party on Saturday night and smoking was allowed. 1The way word got around and how excited people were about it, you might have just as well said "There's free weed in the bathroom."

• been that way for a long time here. And everyone who doesn't smoke ends up outside with the smokers anyway because all their friends are outside smoking.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121And everyone who doesn't smoke ends up outside with the smokers anyway because all their friends are outside smoking.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, no shit, and ex-smokers like me end up SMOKING outsideb,121with my friends because they are all out there, and my buzzed assb,121wants a smoke BAD when I'm out there hanging out in their cloud.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Seriously. I had to join a private club down the road frequented by squirrel hunters because I cannot get enough of the migraines, nausea, & asthma attacks brought on by the second hand smoke.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Seriously. I had to join a private club down the road frequented by squirrel hunters because I cannot get enough of the migraines, nausea, & asthma attacks brought on by the second hand smoke.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Still, it was worth it.

• smoking has an old world charm to it

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121And everyone who doesn't smoke ends up outside with the smokers anyway because all their friends are outside smoking.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Yeah, no shit, and ex-smokers like me end up SMOKING outside
    b,121with my friends because they are all out there, and my buzzed ass
    b,121wants a smoke BAD when I'm out there hanging out in their cloud.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm 10 days without any nicotine at all right now, been about a month since I decided it was time to quit and I've only had a few drunken smokes in that time frame. I know, that's not done yet, but it's still an accomplishment.1 b,121 awesome.b,121b,121Saturday's gonna be tough... pool party at my house which means 12+ hours of heavy drinking outside. Uh oh!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    keep it up manb,121b,121the ban here has worked great...b,121b,121on the upside I went to a departure party for my friend chilled all night and stayed outside paying no cover charge or hearing the wack band play (summer rel)b,121b,121smoking brings the party outside to the streets

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121keep it up man
    b,121
    b,121the ban here has worked great...
    b,121
    b,1211
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121keep it up man
    b,121
    b,121the ban here has worked great...
    b,121
    b,1211
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"11
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121here in Toronto, too. and I also experience the same thing every time I play at my regular spot - a small pub that used to get so smokey you couldn't see to the back of the room and I actually had a few friends who stopped coming because of it.1b,121it's a bit different for me as I'm set up in the window where the music can still be heard out front and me and my guest can still make some eye contact with folks and see if they are reacting to what they hear. some nights it bugs me that the party seems to be outside. but most nights, it feels like there are two parties at the place. as a smoker and a DJ, I love the ban.

• the ban is the best. fuk 2nd hand smoke. my records would be stank, my skin, my clothes. who cares if people go outside or to the rest room or to the bar...all of which are not on the dancefloor.

• I quit last April (after smoking for 23 years)1so it is doable. I'm still against smoking "bans" and think it should be up to individual establishments. That said I love that DC bars are smoke free now. I was in Atlanta and Chapel Hill last weekend and had forgotten how nasty a smoky bar can be. I had a sore throat the next morning from the second hand.b,121Things should settle down in Memphis once folks get used to it.1Hang in there.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I LOVE TEH BAN
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121I love smoke-free venues. I can dance all night and not die.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121I love smoke-free venues.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That way I don't stay at home to avoid that shit. I'll never get why people feel inclined to smoke inside.1They need to ban that shit at the beach.

• I highly apprechiate the smoking ban here in Europe!1b,121The smokers have no right to harras the nonsmokers with fumes.1It was about time!b,121b,121If you want to smoke then get the fu_ck out please...1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I highly apprechiate the smoking ban here in Europe!1
    b,121The smokers have no right to harras the nonsmokers with fumes.1It was about time!
    b,121
    b,121If you want to smoke then get the fu_ck out please...1
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121A view from the other side as1I am still an unreformed smoker despite my best efforts.1I wasn't particularly happy about the smoking ban, believing it should be up to individual establishments, but took it like an adult who knows the game is up and tolerated it. b,121These days I spend more time outside a pub or club in the beer garden than I do inside and actually don't mind it that way - the smoking ban has forced many establishments to invest in proper seating, music, and, most importantly in the UK, outdoor heating so there's none of this huddled out the back door having a quick ciggie stuff.1The fact that many people are out there at the same time means that I strike up conversations with randoms far more than I would otherwise as1well.b,121b,121So, all being said, while it would be nice to smoke indoors I get on with life and don't complain. b,121b,121However, what truly fucks me off is the evil stares I get from self righteous non smokers who insist on giving me disgusted looks everytime I'm outside having a fag.1The reason why I'm polluting the sidewalk or garden is because I'm not allowed to smoke anywhere else - it's not out of choice. It's like there's a group of people who have been waiting years for this moment and now feel free to walk up to me and grimace or start telling me smoking is bad. No shit? Smoking's bad for you? If they want someone to blame they should focus on the government who could never ban it outright as1we're putting millions back into the NHS each year with the extortionate taxes we pay. I don't blow smoke in people's faces, I don't smoke in enclosed areas, I don't smoke round children, I'm standing outside on a street the only place I'm allowed to smoke and yet I still get grief for it, half the time from people who then become social smokers when they're drunk and end up trying to smoke half your packet as1they would never stoop so low as1to purchase cigarettes themselves.b,121b,121Sigh, feel free to skip this is you want. Goddamn I'm mad doggy this morning.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I highly apprechiate the smoking ban here in Europe!1
    b,121The smokers have no right to harras the nonsmokers with fumes.1It was about time!
    b,121
    b,121If you want to smoke then get the fu_ck out please...1
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121While I smoke I also think it is a good thing in general to ban smoking from locations. However, it depends on the location. Having 800 people dancin their ass off in a bigger club without any smoke inside can make you smell things you really never wanted to smell. Believe me, I've smelled it. Healthier? Might be. Better? Not really.b,121b,121b,121 img src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XYB2YSEFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg"1

• The smell of stale tobaccoo, mixed with sweat and puke is bad enough, good riddance, but what I certainly don't miss from the pre-ban days is PEOPLE SMOKING AND DANCING AT THE SAME TIME. Why? Why do it? I've had huge burns all over clothing and skin from bumping into people on the dance-floor, dancing with a ciggie in their hands.1Thankfully this is now restricted to house-parties.b,121b,121As a smoker I don't mind the ban, certainly not when the sidewalk is such a social place!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121the ban is the best. fuk 2nd hand smoke. my records would be stank, my skin, my clothes.1who cares if people go outside or to the rest room or to the bar...all of which are not on the dancefloor.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1