finding some heat by someone you actually know...

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
and you were unaware that that person had some heat...Joyce Cobb...she does the radio show before mine and D**ws, so we talk often and deal with radio station stuff together.I knew she had some records (the most common being a 45 on Cream from 78) but they werent my cuppa. She does a lot of Jazz singingaround town and such. I know lots of people have met someone they were a fan of, but how oftendo you find out someone you already know had made some good music in the 70s that you didnt know about?here is the track, a little Dusty Springfield-esque gem on Truth from'75..."Lonesome Time in Memphis Town Tonight"

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah this guy isaac hayes. he had a few gems out.

no not really, but my dad knew him well and lived across the street from him for a minute when he was on stax. pops use to tell me about them two jammin out [dad on sax] at the house. my half sister use to play with one of his daughters too.

other than that...i know no one outside of rap.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    pops use to tell me about them two jammin out [dad on sax] at the house.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    it's sort of a sad state of affairs now with my dad though. i mean, i use to always talk music with him and he broke me off all his bob james & donald byrd's when i frist started collecting, but that was when i was 15. fast forward to 3 years ago when he had a bad stroke. he's pretty much paralyzed and can hardly speak. i want nothing more than to chill out with him and talk music these days, but he's laied up in a nursing-type home in CA. that schitt aggravates me so bad.

ohh yeah, did i mention there was a period of time for about 6 years where i didn't keep in touch with him for some reason or another, then that stroke happened.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Hannes Beckmann from "Sinto" on Amayana Records used to be my neighbour... He??s good friend of my hommies Dad, we hung out on his shows (still do). He has no vinyl copies left, because of a Fire in his appartment, but he was mad happy when I asked him...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Not heat, but my good friends--one of whom is my current roommate/landlord--have a noise band called What's Your Damage? down in Florida. I was at a flea market in Manhattan and found one of their 7". I copped that.