Maryland Film Festival 2008 Line-Up (May 1-4)

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited April 2008 in Announcements
www.mdfilmfest.comThe festival takes place May 1-4, with all 5 screens of The Charles Theatre, UB's Student Center, and MICA's Brown Center as venues.We've announced the majority of our titles, with text and images online. Go to the site, click on 2008 Festival, than click on film guide.Exact screening times/venues are NOT up yet. Will be ASAP, hopefully w/in 48 hours. Ticket sales hopefully by this Friday as well.More titles will probably be announced, but this is the bulk of our line-up.Some highlights:Closing Night is the new film from MELVIN VAN PEEBLESWe're showing the Ms. Bassie favorite CHOP SHOPJOHN WATERS presents Claude Chabrol's STORY OF WOMENTHE UPSETTER -- new doc about LEE "SCRATCH" PERRYMISS SADIE THOMPSON -- vintage film presented in two-projector 3-D!UNDERWORLD -- 1927 gangster silent w/ live performance from ALLOY ORCHESTRAGONZO -- new doc on HUNTER S. THOMSPON by Oscar-winner ALEX GIBNEYWR: Mysteries of the Organism -- 1971 psychedelic freak-out presented by GibneyAt the Death House Door -- new film from dir's of HOOP DREAMSMEDICINE FOR MELANCHOLY -- awesome SF-set African-American indie drama/romanceSpine Tingler -- new doc about cult-film legend WILLIAM CASTLEWHITE LIES, BLACK SHEEP -- fiction debut from director of AFRO-PUNKSECRET SCREENING -- I can't tell you what it is... but if it turns out to be what I think it's going to be, everyone on this site would want to have a ticket in hand -- face-melter for reals.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    two more "hot doc" titles announced:

AMERICAN TEEN -- doc about American teens today, being marketed as this generation's Breakfast Club

THE BLACK LIST -- Elvis Mitchell interviews a wide variety of successful African-Americans about their experiences being black in America, including Chris Rock, Toni Morrison, Colin Powell, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Bill T. Jones, and, uh, Slash.

www.mdfilmfest.com

Showtimes/venues and ticket sales for most titles now up.

BTW, dunno if any strutters are attending or not, but if so:

a)feel free to PM me for questions or off-the-record opinions about any titles. will do my best to get back to you.

b)if you're planning to see a lot of films, check out the festival pass for $150. That's $100 cheaper than they were last year, gets you access to all movies (including screenings hosted by John waters and Melvin Van Peebles) and several genuinely fun parties.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    AK! I wish I could have a whirlwind Baltimore trip and see some of this.

It looks amazing - congratulations! I hope you have an amazing festival.

Thanks! Wish you could make it down.

Lemme drop another title people here might be interested in:

Betrayal (aka NERAKHOON), the documentary (and directorial debut) from Ellen Kuras, cinemtaographer on ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.

Just announced: Barry Levinson will be hosting our Opening Night Shorts Program, which includes a 3-D short, a short by Slamdance-favorite Heidi van Lier, and the SXSW favorite "Doxology."

To spice this thread up a little, here's art for some of the MFF films I'm plugging...

GOLIATH:
    http://www.md-filmfest.com/films.cfm?id=104

YEAST:
    http://www.md-filmfest.com/films.cfm?id=141

MEDICINE FOR MELANCHOLY:
    http://www.md-filmfest.com/films.cfm?id=112

WR: Mysteries of the Organism:
    http://www.md-filmfest.com/films.cfm?id=140

Opening Night is this Thursday!

Starts tonight.

The Upsetter (Lee "Scratch" Perry) doc...

Beautiful Losers...

Tulia, Texas (doc about drug war and a racist cop):

Out Late (doc about GLBT people who come out of the closet at senior citizens):

The Water Front (doc about water privitization in the US)

went off very well for the most part.

did any strutters attend?