is there such thing as a free vacation?

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So some lady from someplace called TrendWest called today and she offered me airfare and hotel to Las vegas or Cabo San Lucas for FREE if I go to some 1.5 hour presentation about some new resort downtown.I said "Do I have to buy anything?" "No""Can I go on the trip whenever I want?" "Yes""Can I stay wherever I want?" "Yes, it's a voucher for $700"so I took her number and said I'd ask the hubby. We _have_ been wanting to go to Vegas.Is this legit? Has anyone gotten a free vacation? I am such a skeptic. I know they will try and rope into some bullshit, but as long as I resist, do I still get the trip?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i used to work for a telemarketing company in downtown SD that offered a similar vibe. i lasted about a week and a few years later got a class action lawsuit check from them for 400 dollars!

moral: something shady was going on there if they had to give me that much cash for my 17 hours labor, i'd stay away...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    So some lady from someplace called TrendWest called today and she offered me airfare and hotel to Las vegas or Cabo San Lucas for FREE if I go to some 1.5 hour presentation about some new resort downtown.

I said "Do I have to buy anything?" "No"
    "Can I go on the trip whenever I want?" "Yes"
    "Can I stay wherever I want?" "Yes, it's a voucher for $700"

so I took her number and said I'd ask the hubby. We _have_ been wanting to go to Vegas.

Is this legit? Has anyone gotten a free vacation? I am such a skeptic. I know they will try and rope into some bullshit, but as long as I resist, do I still get the trip?

dude.....I used to sell time share. We would get our "prospects" from people who came wanting a free vacation and where willing to sit through a presentation.

If you don't mind a "hard sell" then do it, but they'll try and do all types of crayz price breaks and even do a "exit interview" where somebody will try and sell you a cheaper "less desirable" location.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    is erik estrada somehow involved in this?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Has anyone gotten a free vacation?

I don't know about getting like a 7-day vacation for free, but some of the resort/real estate/land development companies offer small, 1-2 day vacations (hotel, transportation, and partial--if not full--air plane ticket refund) as a way to get people to check out the properties or whatever else they are trying to sell. For example, my parents and I received a free weekend trip/mini-vacation to San Felipe, Baja Mexico from this company building a big resort, golf course, and housing development down there. The first day they drove us around and showed us a bunch of different lots, houses being built, etc. Of course we had to endure the sales pitch and everything, but the next day we weren't bothered--and it was free. That's slightly different than what you are talking about, though. I'd still be highly skeptical.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

haha, I wish

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So some lady from someplace called TrendWest called today and she offered me airfare and hotel to Las vegas or Cabo San Lucas for FREE if I go to some 1.5 hour presentation about some new resort downtown.

so I took her number and said I'd ask the hubby. We _have_ been wanting to go to Vegas.

Is this legit? Has anyone gotten a free vacation? I am such a skeptic. I know they will try and rope into some bullshit, but as long as I resist, do I still get the trip?

dude.....I used to sell time share. We would get our "prospects" from people who came wanting a free vacation and where willing to sit through a presentation.

If you don't mind a "hard sell" then do it, but they'll try and do all types of crayz price breaks and even do a "exit interview" where somebody will try and sell you a cheaper "less desirable" location.

I am cracking up just imagining you putting the "hard sell" on someone.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    There's a free magazine that comes out (or used to) in SF (forgot the name), where the columnist tries to do provocative stuff like take a job as a security guard at a fast food joint and be as obnoxious as possible (chastising a guy for picking fries from his friend's tray etc). Anyway, in one edition he went to one of these free vacation things with the intent of refusing absolutely everything they tried to sell him and just trying to get the free vacation. He just answered everything with 'i'm not interested, i'm just here for the free vacation'. As I remember he did get something, but it got a bit confrontational and the salespeople got really pissed off at him.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

A...yo?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

That's why I did okay their. I didn't look like I would be a fast talking salesman with a hard sell and pink striped shirt.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Bahhhhh! HAHHAHAHAHHHAHHAHH!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

A...yo?

REJECTED!

If you're gonna AYO that one, you need to at least do a cosmetic post edit. Maybe something like:

I am hard just imagining you "getting it cracking" with someone.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    That's why I did okay their. I didn't look like I would be a fast talking salesman with a hard sell and pink striped shirt.

HARD SELL[/b]

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Found it...

A Waste of Timeshare
    Harmon Leon finds out how hard it is to get a free trip to Vegas.
    Harmon Leon

http://www.thewavemag.com/printarticle.php?articleid=23002

• I went to one of those timeshares meetings for free tickets to Islands of Adventure and they get on ya ass hardcore. It's like pressure sale tactics, real aggressive. I just kept telling them straight up that I was broke and just wanted the free tickets. When they saw that I wouldn't budge, they practically threw the tickets at me and was like 'get the fuck outaa here' But I got free tickets.
    One of my mom's friends takes cruises likie that all the time.

I think I'm going to drive to Vegas in the new car and try to get a discount at the Venetian where I just found out a long-lost illegitimate uncle of mine works.

I'm not great at saying NO.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I think I'm going to drive to Vegas in the new car and try to get a discount at the Venetian where I just found out a long-lost illegitimate uncle of mine works.

Whuh??? Who's the uncle? How can I be down?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Man, my wife pissed me off by signing us up to attend a time share "presentation" for gift certificates, while we were in Hawaii (of all places). We had to endure nearly 3 hours of bullshit sales tactics while it was nice and sunny on the beach outside. I had to finally scream on folks to stop pressing us and we broke the fuck out. I was salty as hell, at both my wife and those barracudas!!! If it sounds too good to be true, it is...and that's the word!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Whuh??? Who's the uncle? How can I be down?

dude. Dad's secret brother has a son who manages the spa at the Venetian, Andrea and fam are friends with him. Dad's in denial, didn't I tell you?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    trendwest is legit... fucking irritating, but legit. my girlfirend and i "won" a "free" digital camera, and a trip to reno, vegas, or anahiem (most ass-cities in the us, sorry) to sit and listen to the joys of owning a time share. basically, we sat there for 45min, until my girlfriend said keep the shit, it's not worth it. they have all sorts of "contests" for specific demographics, like "FREE ESCALADE BLING!!" if you're in an urban area, or "FREE VACATION AWAY FROM THE URBANITES" if your in the suburbs. fuck these people... for reals.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Vegas is like the Holy Land for these seminars. While we were there for our wedding, a friend of my wife's went to one and they shucked and jived her hard for about 3 hours. She smiled, nodded and when they were ready to have her sign, she told them "I think I'll pass, just want the tickets." like someone else mentioned, they got rude, practically threw the tickets at her and told he she had "wasted their time". man, from what she said, she gave that lady HELL for that. All I could think was "what a lousy job that must be".

She got those tickets though. I think she enjoyed the confrontational aspect of it all.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    a long-lost illegitimate uncle of mine

Dad's secret brother has a son who manages the spa at the Venetian, Andrea and fam are friends with him.

Wouldn't the son of your dad's brother be your long-lost illegitimate cousin[/b]?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Wouldn't the son of your dad's brother be your long-lost illegitimate cousin[/b]?

who you calling illegitimate, son?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    ANNA, this is quite simply not possible. EVERYTHING in life comes with a price. peace, stein. . .

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Years ago I thought I could get a free vacation out of Trendswest.

Went to the spot saw a slide show and listened to a talk with a group of people. There were a few plants in the audence gushing about what a great deal it was, and they had been to their friends Trendwest spot.

Then we sat down one on one for the hard sell. I remember the sales guy asking what we liked to do on vacation. Look for records. Guess what I am like 90% of people who like to shop on vacation!

We finally told him we were not buying. We got a gym bag. A few weeks later we got our vouchers. All the days and times were the absolute least desirable. We ended up not going.

Trendwest's pitch is that it is not a timeshare for a specific rental. They have rentals all over the world and you can pick wherever you want to go.

On the other hand my parents got free vacations by being a higher class of potential sucker than you and I.

Next week: how I won an encyclopedia salesman.

Dan

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Hey Anna,

I've stayed there a few times... Great place. Even just a regular nite there cost $99.00 (Or atleast it did when I've stayed there). Every room is a suite and the large bathrooms are a nice touch.

Hope U have a great trip.

As far as the free vaca goes... One of my best friends did one of those in the winter.. Stayed 2 nights and got the "Hard sell" on the second day. He works @ IBM in sales, so he was able to say no over and over.. But he did say some people looked like they went down and bought some time. They push pretty hard.

l8r,

You know, I'm not worried about buying a timeshare, that's not even an option for me right now. But I _am_ worried I might cry or something. Not worth it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    You know, I'm not worried about buying a timeshare, that's not even an option for me right now. But I _am_ worried I might cry or something. Not worth it.

Maybe if you flipped the script and everytime they used the words "buy, timeshare or finance" you started to get a tick and act a fool, it would be kinda fun. Would make an interesting vaca...