Larry Davis Shanked to Death

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Larry Davis (May 28, 1966 - February 20, 2008), who changed his name to Adam Abdul-Hakeem in 1989, was a New Yorker who shot six New York City police officers on November 19, 1986 when they raided his sister's Bronx apartment. The police said that the raid was executed in order to question Davis about the killing of four suspected drug dealers.[1] At trial, Davis's defense attorneys claimed that the raid was staged to murder him because of his knowledge of the involvement of corrupt police in the drug business. With the help of family contacts and street friends, he eluded capture for the next 17 days despite a massive manhunt. [2] Once the search was narrowed to a single building, he took a family hostage but surrendered to police under the belief that the presence of reporters provided assurance that he would not be harmed.[3] Davis was acquitted of attempted murder charges in the police shootout case, and was acquitted of murder charges in the case involving the slain drug dealers. He was found guilty of weapons possession in the shootout case, acquitted in another murder case, and was found guilty in a later murder case and was sentenced to 30 years to life in prison.[4] In 2008, Davis was stabbed to death by another inmate.[5]The Larry Davis case generated controversy. Many were outraged by his actions and acquittal,[6] but others regarded him as a folk hero for his ability to elude capture in the massive manhunt, or as the embodiment of a community's frustration with the police,[7] or as "a symbol of resistance" because "he fought back at a time when African-Americans were being killed by white police officers." [6]
One of the greatest NYC shootouts evar. I wish i could acquire the newspaper diagram of the escape incident.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "That's why we represent them ni---- like Larry Davis
    Before he let you cowards kill him he just aimed and sprayed it"

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts

I watched this dvd earlier this week... The details of the shoot out in his sisters crib is

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I watched this dvd earlier this week... The details of the shoot out in his sisters crib is

That was right out of the movies. Shooting through the wall and kicking dudes out of windows and shit.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Whats so shocking about it? these things happen in prison.

• "Larry Davis - he knew what time it is
    He didn't let 'em kill him, so he went fugitive"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The combination of Perry Mason and Larry Davis
    Martin and Malcolm, this is the bigger than the album

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Who said it was shocking?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Apparently batmon did by including the graemlin in the title of this thread

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hood - madman, I rip up stages
    Lay down your wages, I'm wild like Larry Davis...

• The combination of Pappy[/b] Mason and Larry Davis

Although I think I like The combination of Perry Mason and Larry Davis better b/c it means Davis could act as his own defense attorney.

• dang! I had never heard of this guy, sounds like some wild shit though. I can't watch the youtube video right now but does anyone else have the story on him? That's not biased or anything, or I can just watch this Larry David doc. if it's the best thing.

+ + + + = Larry Davis

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

notice William Kunstler and Lynne Stewart in this pic. I guess Kunstler was already famous at that point, Stewart had yet to gain notoriety. great team.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The combination of Pappy[/b] Mason and Larry Davis

Although I think I like The combination of Perry Mason and Larry Davis better b/c it means Davis could act as his own defense attorney.

Haha... that was a pull from OHHLA (my copy of BOBW came and went within the space of a week about five years ago).

I remembered there being something about Larry Davis on the intro and was wondering how I possibly could have forgotten Jay describing his team-up with Kells as the meeting of Perry Mason and Larry Davis

Pappy Mason makes a lot more sense, though.

• (My copy of BOBW came and went within the space of a week about five years ago).

We had the band at our wedding kick into "BOBW" right after the "I now pronounce you man & wife" announcement. Unfortunately, they were so bad I think only one of our friends caught the joke.

I'll never eat up out a garbage can
    I'll Larry Davis a cop, and if I make it alive, it was the Father's plan

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    great documentary
    i never knew details of the story
    all i knew was it was a guy who knocked off a bunch of cops in a standoff and lived to tell.

RIP larry davis

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    5-0 make me wanna flip Larry Davis style,
    got a n___a depressed while he's awaitin' trial.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Apparently batmon did by including the graemlin in the title of this thread

• Options

I wish i could acquire the newspaper diagram of the escape incident.

Yup. That and the one for Eleanor Bumpurs stick out in my mind from when I was a kid. I remember on hers they had an image of a big fat woman wielding a butcher knife.