where can i get some 2" tape?

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
anybody have any idea about this? im toatly new the analog recording, so i just want one for myself to screw around and learn. but I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE!!!quantagy would be awesome, but i am not limited to the brand. PLEEEEEEEEEASE HELP ME!!

Comments

• Good luck... a few months ago there was a publicized shortage of magnetic tape. It might be the end of that era. Steve Albani just about crapped himself.

• damn, jazz record mart out here in chicago had a few boxes for reel cheap...like $15 for a box of 5 or something like that. i don't use 2" tape, but it seemed like a steal. i'll check next time i'm in there.

of course there's always:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67808&item=5765894005&rd=1

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Nobody makes it anymore, so the demand will only get stronger. Not a good time to be starting out.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    That is a really good price, $100 each is the usual going price.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    paid $150 for a used reel.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Nobody makes it anymore, so the demand will only get stronger. Not a good time to be starting out.

When did they stop? It would seem there are still a lot of low budget studios out there that would use it, but I guess everyone has really jumped to digital the last few years. 5 rolls of 2 inch tape and you just bought pro tools.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Quantegy stopped making 2" tape, but one or two other companies are going to start making some. If there's a market for something there's somebody that will try to make that money. I read about the other companies that are going to start making tape again in TapeOp magazine but I don't remember the names off the top of my head. When I find my issue with the info I can post it here.

Regardless, when Quantegy announced they were dumping tape a lot of bigger-name producers that love analog started buying up as much tape stock as they could just to have as much as possible until they ran out. Prices started going through the roof.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I read about the other companies that are going to start making tape again in TapeOp magazine but I don't remember the names off the top of my head. When I find my issue with the info I can post it here.

You're right, I hadn't noticed that. RMG International and ATR claim they'll be delivering new tape by summer. Crisis diverted. Carry on.