COSMO BAKER "TOO MUCH POSSE"

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Back in the days there used to be a certain formula to doing albums - meaning there were distinctive types of records that you just had to put on your album. There was the single, the rap for the girls, the club (or hip-house) jam, the DJ cut, the slow jam, the reminisce record, the shout out dedication song at the end of the record, the list goes on and on. But for the record my favorite type of record was the posse cut. This was the record where the artist would invite some of his boys to drop verses on a song, and the end result usually ended up sounding like teh best rap party that ever. Sometimes it was a crazy combination of rappers that you would never think would even bless the same city, much less the mic. Sometimes it would end up being the jump start to a legendary career. Whatever it would be, the posse cut always brought the fire.Here is a collection of some of my favorite posse cuts of all time. The initial list I had was much longer but in the end I had to trim it down. I had to make sure that (for the most part) the entire song played on this mix - I didn't want to leave anyone out. So here it is - let's go!COSMO BAKER "TOO MUCH POSSE"[/b]CLICK HERE FOR DOWNLOAD[/b]01: Ice Cube "Colorblind" feat. Deadly Threat, J-Dee, Kam, King Tee, WC & Coolio02: Jadakiss "Why" Remix feat. Styles P., Common, Nas & Anthony Hamilton03: Jungle Brothers "How You Want It (We Got It)" feat. A Tribe Called Quest & De La Soul04: LL Cool J "I Shot Ya" Remix feat. Fat Joe, Foxy Brown, Keith Murray & Prodigy05: Luniz "I Got 5 On It" Bay Ballas Remix feat. Dru Down, E-40, Humpty Hump. Shock G, Richie Rich & Spice 106: Bās Blasta "The Rhythm" feat. Fat Joe, Godfather Don, Juju & Lord Finesse07: Real Live "Real Live Shit" Remix feat. Cappadonna, Ghostface Killah, Killa Sin, Larry-O & Lord Tariq08: Craig Mack "Flavor In Your Ear" Remix feat. Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, Notorious B.I.G. & Rampage09: Nice & Smooth "Down The Line" feat. Asu, Bās Blasta, Guru, Melo T. & Preacher Earl10: Black Sheep "Pass The 40" feat. Mista Lawnge, Chi Ali, Chris Lighty, Dave Gossett & J. Jones11: D&D All-Stars "1 2 Pass It" DJ Mighty Mi Remix feat. Mad Lion, Doug E. Fresh, KRS-One, Fat Joe, Smif-Wessun & Jeru The Damaja12: Eightball "Pure Uncut" feat. Master P., Silkk The Shocker, Mystikal & Psycho Drama13: Noreaga "Banned From TV" feat. Big Pun, Cam'ron, Nature & The Lox14: Red Hot Lover Lover Tone "For My Ni**az" Remix feat. Notorious B.I.G., Prince Poetry & M.O.P.15: Big L "Da Graveyard" feat. Grand Daddy I.U., Jay-Z, Lord Finesse, Microphone Nut & Party Arty16: LL Cool J "4321" feat. Method Man, Redman, Canibus, Master P & DMX17: Pudgee Da Phat Bastard "Think Big" feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Lord Tariq18: Kool G Rap & DJ Polo "Money In The Bank" feat. Ant Live, Freddie Foxxx & Large Professor19: Marley Marl "The Symphony" feat. Craig G., Masta Ace, Kool G Rap & Big Daddy Kane20: Above The Law "The Last Song" feat. Eazy-E, Dr. Dre & MC Ren21: Showbiz & A.G. "Represent" feat. Big L, Deshawn & Lord Finesse22: EPMD "The Head Banger" feat. K-Solo & Redman23: Marley Marl "The Symphony Pt. 2" feat. Craig G., Masta Ace, Kool G Rap, Little Daddy Shane & Big Daddy Kane24: Cool Breeze "Watch For The Hook" feat. Outkast & Goodie Mob25: Heavy D & The Boyz "A Buncha Ni**as" feat. 3rd Eye, Notorious B.I.G., Busta Rhymes, Rob-O & Guru26: The Flavor Unit MCs "Roll With Tha Flava" feat. Treach, Chip Fu, D-Nice, Dres, Freddie Foxxx, Heavy D & Queen Latifah27: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien "Burnt" feat. Souls Of Mischief & Casual28: Big Daddy Kane "Pimping Ain't Easy" feat. Ant Live, Scoob Lover & Nice & Smooth27: De La Soul "Buddy" Remix feat. A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, Queen Latifah & Monie Love29: MC Serch "Back To The Grill" Remix feat. Red Hot Lover Tone, Chubb Rock & Nas30: A Tribe Called Quest "Scenario" feat. Leaders Of The New School31: A Tribe Called Quest "Scenario" Remix feat. Kid Hood & Leaders Of The New School32: Heavy D & The Boyz "Don't Curse" feat. Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Pete Rock, C.L. Smooth & Q-Tip33: Main Source "Live At The Barbeque" feat. Akinyele, Joe Fatal & Nas34: The West Coast Rap Allstars "We're All In The Same Gang" feat. Above The Law, Body & Soul, Def Jef, Digital Underground, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, Ice-T, J.J. Fad, King Tee, MC Hammer, MC Ren, Michel'le, Oaktown's 3-5-7, Tone Loc & Young MC35: The Stop The Violence Movement "Self Destruction" feat. KRS-One, Public Enemy, D-Nice, Daddy-O, Doug E. Fresh, Kool Moe Dee, MC Delight, Just Ice, MC Delight, Ms. Melodie & Wise

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yes!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This was the record where the artist would invite some of his boys to drop verses on a song

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah.

• This was the record where the artist would invite some of his boys to drop verses on a song

• Wow. I hadn't heard the Blasta track. This mix is going right into workout/jogging rotation - the opposite of

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Thanks dude!
    Lot's of tunes I haven't heard for years...
    Sounds great!
    I Used To Love Her....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Jesus, just when i thought id have the chance to play something other than one of your mixes you go and drop this?!

Posse cuts: AWWW Shit! FUCK YES!

You just made my day.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Was "Don't Curse" Q-Tip's first-ever appearance? Great concept for a mix, by the way.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    q tip first appeared on the Jungle Brothers promo thing i believe

ill mix!

• Ahhhhh this is my shit!

Cosmo!

• Great theme. I have a feeling this will be on the favorites list for years to come. Many many thanks!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    q tip first appeared on the Jungle Brothers promo thing i believe

Jungle Brother JB for short.
    A bite a bit my rhyme and we almost fort.
    But since he was a brother I thought that'd be wrong.
    So I let him go I let him run along. [Run along]
    I write rhymes like I come from New York City.
    My Dj spin the music down to the nitty gritty.
    When the downstairs funky five days a week.
    Searching and seeking for the Baby Bam beat.
    The Afrikan rap that comes from within us.
    Brothers heard about it now they wish they could've been us.
    We did an album with no problem.
    Now we working on another with another Jungle Brother.
    [Me] Q-Tip, his name, he's into business, not into games
    So Q-Tip when the light turns green,
    grab your bone and show them what I mean.

My bone is grabbed, this is what I mean.
    I brag a grab, and here's the scene.
    Q-Tip, [Q-Tip] from a Tribe Called Quest,
    On the Jungle Brother's album, oh yes.
    So get the ducats it's coming out soon.
    A month after March, two before June,
    It's nice. With Ali Shaheed Mohammed, my Dj who
    Is real dominant. [Mohammed, Mohammed]
    He and I form the funky Tribe.
    If you want to get with it, just feel the vibe. [Feel the vibe]
    Me and Ali are extremely radiant.
    And to be heard like the horn of Gideon.

Big L - Eight Is Enough........

• yeah, The Promo is first for Q-Tip. Tribe's first album came in 1990, he was on Groove Is In The Heart in 1990 as well, but Don't Curse didn't come out until 1992.

Great mix Cosmo. You and The Rub are making me clear space on my hard drive with all these mixes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

It was that or "The Graveyard" - I chose the latter because I'm a fan of Party Arty.

It was that or "The Graveyard" - I chose the latter because I'm a fan of Party Arty.

Yes thats was the one i was getting mixed up w/.

Im tryin to figure out which came first from Straight Out The Jungle.

Black Is Black Or The Promo.

Most folks might say the Promo was Q-Tip's debut but remember that Black Is Black is a duo vocal w/ Q-Tip and Afrika Baby Bam.

Can anyone find the record numbers or confirm which came out when.

I think i remember Red Alert playin Black is Black before The Promo. Its been a minute.

Or is it the same record? Duh

Im tryin to figure out which came first from Straight Out The Jungle.

Black Is Black Or The Promo.

Most folks might say the Promo was Q-Tip's debut but remember that Black Is Black is a duo vocal w/ Q-Tip and Afrika Baby Bam.

Can anyone find the record numbers or confirm which came out when.

I think i remember Red Alert playin Black is Black before The Promo. Its been a minute.

Or is it the same record? Duh

Straight Out The Jungle 12"
    Cat# WAR 035

Duh

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Thanks for a great mix!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Man, this is

In an ironic twist of Soulstrut newbie haterism, I had actually mentioned that I had a similar concept when I first joined the board and some idiot actually called it the gayest post ever. He's gone now.

And that's how it's supposed to be.

• some idiot actually called it the gayest post ever.

I clicked on that thread and laughed at the funny choice of words involved.

gayest post ever.

I'm looking for ideas for my weekly at the Manhole

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    thanks for the mix but divshare?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    thanks for the mix but divshare?

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    no doubt

im a spoiled rapidshare account user

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    thanks cos, this is great.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, this was unexpected. Unfortunately I'm on the tour bus for the next few hours and I'll have to up it when I get to Houston.

Does anyone have any good file hosting suggestions? This file is too big for Zshare and I was unaware of the Divshare limit. I think the file is about 250 MB or so.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Until I can get it up on a more stable and long-lasting server, her you go: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xpvt68

Thanks to my homie DJ Neoteric.

• can't wait to check this out...

btw Cosmo, your classic hip hop set you did for the Austin Brand Nubian show last night (couldn't stay for your second set) was one of the best sets i've heard in a long long time. you were . If I had to do a classic hip hop set It hink about 75% of what you played I would picked too. Way too many times cats play the same early 90's songs over and over...

• Thanks homie !