That piano trio funk

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
..sometimes it is the only thing that will do, perfectly balanced, no horns or guitar solos just pure groove, you know?...here are a few favorites outta my collection...post your fave piano trio groovers...I wanna listen to this stuff all dayRoy Meriwether-Nubian Lady[/b]Gene Harris-Still Im Sad[/b]an electric piano and an added percussionist is ok as wellMichael Sardaby-Welcome New Warmth[/b]

Comments

• Options

All day.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    an electric piano is ok as well

I'm a sucker for that lush e-piano sound.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

I also HEART this stuff...but one of the Don Walker LPS has a little too much Hamronica for my taste.

• an electric piano is ok as well

any chance for Mp3s of these? I was hoping this thread could be a big piano trio funk Mp3 share...

• Here's a pretty rare one by a band called the Bermuda Symphony Trio. Pretty cool cover of Ode to Billy Joe. There's also a pretty killer cover of Ain't No Sunshine, but I don't have the rip of it with me here at work.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

welcome to warmth fits that description

The Shelton Kilby "Yield Not" LP has two good mellow-funky trio tracks in the same vein as the two Hysear albums.

Into The Woods
    Poor Wayfaring Stranger

The rest of the LP is not that remarkable. Sorry for the recurring surface noise in those mp3s. My copy has a slight warp

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This isn't a trio but...

And I just got this off The Mack and am

HOw is that no one's shown Ramsey Lewis a lick of love yet?

• HOw is that no one's shown Ramsey Lewis a lick of love yet?

are not the complete posts not showing up? Ramsey is in the second post...and the Michael Sardaby tune mentioned a few posts down has the audio posted in my original post...

My bad - missed the second post.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

YES

• There's this...

Which can be found here... scroll down to volume 2...

• rookrook 357 Posts
    smithstonian all day.

Something must be wrong with your system, Ras. The right channel is missing in that recording. The horn section is gone.

Funky16 - that ChaCha Hogan track was nice. I love loud tambourines.

Something must be wrong with your system, Ras. You're missing the right channel in that recording. The horn section is gone.

yeah on purpose, to get that stricktly trio sound!!

• Stanley Cowell - Miss Vicki[/b]

for some more trio related electric piano steez----->

• Something must be wrong with your system, Ras. The right channel is missing in that recording. The horn section is gone.

In the last weekend I picked up a 45 called 'JC's Grit Gitter' by JC Heard on Sir-Rah. I haven't gotten it yet to give it a close listen (I only heard a clip online), but if it's not the same backing track as the Hogan side, it's certainly the same song. The tune was co-written by Jack Ashford of the Funk Brothers, thus the tambourine.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    smithstonian all day.

A trio? I'd love to see something written about this group...some unearthed reels would be a pretty good look, too!!

In the last weekend I picked up a 45 called 'JC's Grit Gitter' by JC Heard on Sir-Rah. I haven't gotten it yet to give it a close listen (I only heard a clip online), but if it's not the same backing track as the Hogan side, it's certainly the same song. The tune was co-written by Jack Ashford of the Funk Brothers, thus the tambourine.

Off topic but your mixes are great. Props.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    smithstonian all day.

A trio? I'd love to see something written about this group...some unearthed reels would be a pretty good look, too!!

yeah i don't know about the trio business, but definately piano funk. ug, i wish i had it. cosign on some press for these guys.

• In the last weekend I picked up a 45 called 'JC's Grit Gitter' by JC Heard on Sir-Rah. I haven't gotten it yet to give it a close listen (I only heard a clip online), but if it's not the same backing track as the Hogan side, it's certainly the same song. The tune was co-written by Jack Ashford of the Funk Brothers, thus the tambourine.

Off topic but your mixes are great. Props.

Thanks O!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this guy.

BTW does anybody have a spare of this for me?

"If I Were A Carpenter"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/linoo3

• Options
    How about these dudes

• smithstonian all day.

yeah i don't know about the trio business, but definately piano funk. ug, i wish i had it. cosign on some press for these guys.

before they were called Smithstonian, they were called Black Blood and the Chocolate Pickles...they released one 45 that I know of, an earlier version of "Mississippi Mud"

• Here's a few fairly obvious tracks that I like:
    - Ray Bryant "Up Above The Rock"
    - Romeos "Precious Memories" (imagine somebody trying to play like Ramsey Lewis on an out-of-tune barrelhouse piano and you got "Precious Memories"...that out-of-nowhere cha-cha bridge is genius, you think it would kill the somber mood, and it does, but it works! underrated classic)
    - Packers "Hole In The Wall"
    - Young-Holt Trio "Wack Wack"
    - Ray Charles "Booty Butt"
    - Don Shirley "Water Boy"
    - Martin Denny "Quiet Village" (which actually sounds good next to all these other folks with a Ramsey Lewis-ish sound)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

YES

This song is my personal road rage cure. I'm in the car feeling like shooting people and then this song comes on my tape deck and I want to smile at people as they drive past.