MIDWEEK FINDS

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
these are actually my finds for january & febryary. havent posted here for a while.. just thought i should make this a midweek post, so other dudes can post the shit theyre founding from now on, in this thread. got some 45s too, but theyre not pictured. Blue Mitchell - Collision In BlackFlora Purim - Open Your Eyes You Can FlyPatto - S/T (Swirl)Ian Carr??s Nucleus - Roots (Traded my extra copy to a strutter this fall, but since I bought this, i rock doubles again.)Arne Domneus & Rune Gustafsson - Svarta F??rPeddlers - Suite LondonDr. John - Zu Zu Man (I bought this one cause i like the Gris Gris record alot, but dont pick this one up if you havent heard it before, its pretty boring compared to Gris Gris, and sounds a little too blues inspired in my opinion.)Mystic Moods - Being With You Sweetwater - S/TAttila Zoller - Gypsy Cry (I like this LP alot, maybe my favourite jazz guitarist LP. Has some Dilla samples on it aswell.)Paz - Paz Is Back (ill ass record with an ill ass drumbreak)Kjell ??hman - Misturada (Nice swedish funky fusion record)Finn Sletten & Agustin Pereyra Lucena Quartet - La Rana (pretty rare killer ass norwegian/brazilian funky bossajazz collaboration)Solar Plexus - S/T (1) (One of my favourite records, but i like Solar Plexus 2 even more...)Galt MacDermot - HaircutsBama The Village Poet - Ghettos Of The Mind G??nther Fischer Quintett - Krug 4 (Wierd LP, but one of the tracks has two good drumbreaks plus an extreme drum/horn breakdown, youve heard this on "On Track" + + )HP Lovecraft - HP Lovecraft 2 (I thought the copy i had was an original until I found this, so now, i have the original, plus my old 80s repress.)Guttorm Guttormsen Quartet - Soturnodi & Albufeira (A freid of mine just released this nice norwegian jazz reissue/compilation... Pick it up. www.plasticstrip.no )The Bob Seger System - Mongrel (THIS LP SUCKS)Orlando Kimber & John Keliehor - East Meets West (landscape music)Rev. Shines - Masscorporation Mix CD & Lewis Parker - Sniper Beats CD (both of them are really dope)Azymuth - Light As A FeatherAzymuth - Aguia Nao Come Mosca

Comments

• Staffan Abeleen Quintet - Downstream
    (Japanese reissue. I've been wanting this beautiful album for a long time. Not having to shell out 400-500 dollars for the rather dodgy-sounding original is a bonus.)

Yusef Lateef - Prayer to the east

The Fall - Reformation
    (Guess I'm the only Fall-fan on Soulstrut)

Out of respect for Grope, I'm not posting any pictures.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

HP Lovecraft - HP Lovecraft 2 (I thought the copy i had was an original until I found this, so now, i have the original, plus my old 80s repress.)

how do you tell the difference???

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• The Bob Seger System - Mongrel (THIS LP SUCKS)

why do you buy rock records if you dont like rock music?

• I hit a local antiques store (previously untapped, at least by me) two days in a row. Got some Blue Note OGs (not great condition but at $3 a pop not bad) including
    Horace Silver 'Horace Scope'
    Horace Silver 'Silvers Serenade'
    Donald Byrd 'Blackjack'
    Kenny Dorham 'Una Mas'

A couple of Enoch Light LPs:
    'Permissive Polyphonics' (a couple of nice breaks)
    One with a title I can't recall right now with a wicked version of the Theme from Shaft with great tablas
    'Discotheque Dance Dance Dance' with a great version of 'Come On and Swim'

A James Last LP with a crazy version of 'Power To the People'

The Dick Hyman LP with 'Topless Dancers of Corfu'

An LP of radio spots for ABC's 1967 fall season with two vocal cuts by Bob Dorough (uncredited, but it's him) called 'The First Hippie's Last Stand'

An Yma Sumac 10" LP of Xtabay

Bill Blacks Combo 'Basic Black'

Tremeloes LP with 'Here Comes My Baby'

The first two Spencer Davis Group LPs

Vogues 'Five O'Clock World' LP on CoCe

An Lp from a local high schools rock bands from 1981, which is pretty miserable, but fun to have.

My personal fave find of the dig

and a bunch of 45s:

Buckinghams 'I Call Your Name'
    Dickie Goodman 'Ruthies Theme'
    Knickerbockers 'One Track Mind'
    Dinah Washington 'Soulville'
    Brenda Holloway 'Every Little Bit Hurts'
    Garnett Mimms 'Cry Baby'

I'm pretty sure I cleaned the place out (though I left a few things behind for condition reasons)

OH...(edited to include recent e-digs)

Richards People - Yo Yo (Tuba) Loooongtime want lister, finally...

Raymond Winnfield - Things Could Be Better (Fordom)

Round Robin - The Vulture (Capitol)

The Road - Mr Soul (Kama Sutra)

Dynamics - Ain't No Sun (Cotillion)

Paul 'Sir Raggedy' Flagg - Papa Momma Romper Stomper (Atlantic)

Syl Johnson - Come On and Sock It To Me (Twilight)

AB Skhy - Camel Back (MGM)

JC Heard - JC's Grit Gitter (Sir-Rah)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    not midweek finds, but finds and trades from the paaaaaassssttttt while...

• LP's:
    - J. Henry Burnett - The B-52's Band & The Fabulous Skylarks (Uni)- 1972 debut from the man now known as T-Bone Burnett...was disappointed that nothing from this album was on a recent anthology, so good to find this

- Bloodrock 2 (Capitol)

- The Best Of The Electras (Get Hip)

- Kitty Wells - Heartbreak U.S.A. (Decca)

- We're The Banana Splits (Decca - FINALLY!)

45's:

- Staple Singers - "Freedom Highway"/"The Funeral" (Epic)

- Intruders - "Lollipop" (DJ copy, same song, both sides) (Gamble)

- Bobby Rush - "Wake Up"/"The Things That I Used To Do" (Salem)

- Radiants - "Tears Of A Clown" (not the Smokey/Miracles song)/"I'm Just A Man" (Chess)

- Uniques - "It Hurts Me To Remember"/"I Sure Feel More Like I Do Than I Did When I Got Here" (Paula)

- Barbara Lynn - "He Ain't Gonna Do Right"/"People Like Me" (Atlantic)

- Wilko Johnson - "Oh Lonesome Me"/"Beauty" (Blockhead, UK)

• DJ Sheep:

Thats a lot of nice records.. Where did you find all these?

The Hook Up:

I buy a lot of rock records, and I??ve heard that this LP got a good break and so on, and it was really cheap, so I picked it up. I did??nt mean that I am able to decide if a record is good or not. But I guess I just "expected something else", cause I??ve seen a lot of dudes (including dudes that i think buys a lot of good records) buying this one. But in my opinion, this record is very very boring, compared to the rock records I like.
    Fair enough?

DJ Sheep:

Thats a lot of nice records.. Where did you find all these?

France, Scotland, Germany, Los Angeles + a bunch of trades (about 20%)... i took some pics for a mate, thought I would post 'em...

peace.

• France, Scotland, germany, LA..

sounds like a good trip!

France, Scotland, germany, LA..

sounds like a good trip!

and... it hasn't finished yet... LA HEADS, I will be there for a month as of tommorow.... JYEAH!

peace.

• nice stuff there sheep - that first SYRIUS LP (black + purple cover) is Frickin' ace - "psychomania" is my fav - the second one is pretty turdy though.

last few days, nothing rare or expensive - just what i have dug up:

got the HALLO 5 in the post from ebay.de - a few fun cuts but the only-on-this-comp-insanely-heavy-breakbeat-monster "uber feuher" by ELEKTRA COMBO is the reason i got it
    -- he included the Amiga Beatles LP () and Gruppe Jurgen Kerth LP as free gifts ... both pretty naff but a nice thought none the less.
    the rest is charity shop guff -- not much fun to be had on any of the EZ listening jawns - various 'na na hey hey' covers and button down brass LP's but nothing really worth keeping. except for the "whipped cream" one, obvioulsy
    the African one in the bottom left looks more fun than it is and im really enjoying the JULIE FELIX - "flowers". i didnt enjoy the "zoo..." LP i much prefer this. a quid well spent.

the 7's are:
    FRANCE GALL - "poupee de cire poupee de son" (great)
    ERIC DELANEY/ OVALTINE BEAT GROUP - "the ovaltine theme ep" (bit crackly but pretty fun)
    MUM & DAD - "dawn rider" (twisted nerve single from '99)
    MORRISSEY - "suedehead" (yuck!! cant stand morrrissey - sorry)
    MANKIND - "dr who" (daft disco version)

:

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

What's that Bongo Rock. Is that just a overseas cover?

What's that Bongo Rock. Is that just a overseas cover?

French album full of Bongo Band cover versions (including Apache) and some originals. VERY HOT!

b

• from the last few days. thanks to Good Records NYC for dewarping the EW Wainwright LP.

• congrats on the gant blanc soundtrack...i know you were looking for that one.