The RUB - HISTORY OF HIP-HOP VOLUME 18: 1996

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I couldn't find the old thread so fuck it, here's the new one."1996 is up!I was truly psyched about doing 1996 because that was a very special year for me and it had a lot of impact. I had just moved back to Philly from New York (proving, at least for the time being, that nobody moves away from New York - they just "fail.") I was back in my hometown with no prospects and really nothing going for me. Over the past 18 months I had been living in New York and had been working in Eightball Records, fully involved in the downtown hip-hop scene. 1995 was such a good year for hip-hop (especially the New York-centric type) and I was at the epicenter of it all. Now I didn't really know what to do with myself. I had resumed classes at Temple and then got a job at Armand's records.Before I knew it was at the middle of it again and, for the first time in a while, independent records really started to make a lot of noise. Being a buyer at Armand's definitely helped with that, and I got the chance to get my hands on pretty much all this new shit that nobody had heard of. I started to deal with Peanut Butter Wolf (he was still just a buyer at TRC Distribution in California) so I would get all this crazy California indie shit. Then, I re-linked up with my man Jared and started to help him with his record label, Illadelph Records. I went from being a "soundboard" for ideas for him to a semi A&R status to one of the in-house producers and a member of the Militant Mind State very shortly.I also started to DJ again in Philly. The last residency I had was with King Britt and Dozia at Back To Basics but I left that behind. But I started again with a Monday night at Cafe Limbo playing all sorts of indie shit as well as funk and whatnot. Before I knew it, I got a call about a new club opening up, The Palmer, and they wanted me to spin there. I went from 1 night a week 2 5 within a couple months.So yeah, 1996 was a year or rebirth for me. It was also a very good year in music. This mix was a labor of love but it was particularly hard for me to do, in particular because there was so much great stuff that came out that year that I wanted to put on. It was so hard to pick and choose what to use from "Stakes is High," "Reasonable Doubt," "All Eyes On Me," "ATLiens," "The Coming," "Beats, Rhymes & Life," "Endtroducing," "Riding Dirty" - the list goes on and on. And that's not even including the indie shit. So I hope I did this year justice.Also, 1996 was the year that Dilla REALLY made an impact on me. It was '96 that I said to myself "This motherfucker right here is the REAL DEAL."Anyways, with that, I present 1996. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed making it!"- CBSTREAM[/b]PODCAST[/b]Chubb Rock & Biz Markie "No Rubber, No Backstage Pass"MC Eiht "You Can't See Me" (DJ Spinna Remix)Mac Mall "Get Right"Outkast "Elevators"Royal Flush "Worldwide"Shyheim "Shaolin Style" feat. SquigUGK "You Don't Know Me"Jay-Z "Cashmere Thoughts"Lil' Kim "Queen Bitch"M.O.P. "Brownsville"Company Flow "8 Steps To Perfection"Nonchalant "5 O'Clock"Bushwackas "Caught Up In The Game"Dutchmin "Get Your Swerve On"Jungle Brothers "How You Want It (We Got It)" (Native Tongues Remix)Busta Rhymes "Everything Remains Raw"Adagio "The Obvious Joint"Capone -N- Noreaga "LA, LA" (Kuwait Mix feat. Mobb Deep & Tragedy Khadafi)Sadat X "Stages & Lights"The Arsonists "The Session"Royal Flush "Rotten Apple"Ini "Fakin' Jax"J-Live "Braggin Writes" (DJ Spinna Remix)Redman "Pick It Up"Too Short "Buy You Some" feat. Erick SermonSleestak'z "Ruination"Absent Minded "Childs Play" (Left Stranded Mix)Biz Markie "Studda Step"Natural Resource "Negro League Baseball"A-Plus "All I See"Artifacts "The Ultimate"Jay-Z "Friend Or Foe"East Flatbush Project "Tried By 12"Al Tariq "Peace Akki"Fugees "Fu-Gee-La"Scarface & Facemob "Skrilla"Concrete Mob "Boiling Point"Dr. Octagon "Bear Witness"Constant Deviants "Competition Catch Speed Knots"Jeru The Damaja "Ya' Playing Yaself"Nas "Street Dreams"2Pac "Toss It Up" feat. Danny Boy, Aaron Hall & KC & JojoLost Boyz "Renee" (Mr. Sex L.B. Fam Version"Large Professor "Ijustwannachill"De La Soul "Stakes Is High"Dark Sun Riders "Dark Sun Riders" (Ultra Jazz Remix)Young Zee "Juice" feat. Rah DiggaMobb Deep "Hell On Earth (Front Lines)"Just Ro "Confusion" feat. CommonThe Roots "What They Do"Da Fat Cat Clique "Live From Fox Valley"Keith Murray "The Rhyme" (Jay Dee Remix)Busta Rhymes "Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check" feat, Rampage The Last BoyscoutDe La Soul "Big Brother Beat"Money Boss Players "Games"Real Live "Day You Die"LL Cool J "Summer Love"Big Noyd "Usual Suspects" (Stretch Armstrong Remix)Nine "Lyin' King"Kool G Rap "Fast Life" feat. Nas (Norfside Remix)Redman "Rock The Spot"Heltah Skeltah "Lehflaur Leflah Eshkshoka"Bounty Killer "Change Like The Weather" feat. Busta Rhymes & Junior ReidJigmasters "Beyond Real"Da Bush Babees "The Love Song" feat. Mos DefOutkast "2 Dope Boyz (In A Cadillac)The Almighty RSO (One In The Champer (The RSO Saga Pt. 2)Spice 1 "Why You Wanna Funk?" feat. E-40 & The ClickWestside Connection "Bow Dow"2Pac "Picture Me Rollin'" feat. Syke & C BoThe Pharcyde "Runnin'" (Jay Dee Remix)A Tribe Called Quest "1nce Again"Masters At Work "Get Up"Lost Boyz "Get Up" (Remix)Foxy Brown "Get You Home"Greg Nyce "Set It Off"Mac The Maniac "What Goes Up" (Remix feat. Chubb Rock & King Just)Lil' Kim "Big Momma Thing" feat. Jay-ZDJ Krush "Meiso" feat. The RootsA Tribe Called Quest "Get A Hold"Ghostface Killah "Daytona 500"Ghostface Killah "Iron Maiden"DJ Shadow "The Number Song" (Cut Chemist Remix)Bone Thugs-N-Harmony "Crossroads"Crucial Conflict "Hay"Do Or Die "Po Pimp" feat. TwistaUGK "One Day"Eightball & MJG "Listen To Me Now"Coolio "Gangsa's Paradise"B-Legit "Ghetto Smile"Akinyele "Put It In My Mouth"Goodie Mob "Cell Therapy" feat. OutkastG. Dep "Head Over Wheels"Camp Lo "Luchini (This Is It)"2Pac "Hail Mary"

Comments

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Everyone have their favorite year and this is it for me (although 94-95 might have produced more 90's classics).

This is gonna be the soundtrack for tonight.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    No Ras Kass?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I never really was a big fan of dude. I almost put "Nature Of The Threat" on it for laughs but decided against it. I'm saving the "Soul On Ice" Diamond D Remix for my (retooled) Diamond D CD.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    this mix rules.

i was looking for a picture in Google, i typed in 'fuck yes' and got this:

I never really was a big fan of dude. I almost put "Nature Of The Threat" on it for laughs but decided against it. I'm saving the "Soul On Ice" Diamond D Remix for my (retooled) Diamond D CD.

To me, Remain Anonymous is the cut. No big potatoes, but it just seems that if you are doing a history and he gets left out of '96...then something is missing.

Makes me want to go back and see if y'all included Erule's Listen Up in the '95 mix, although history-wise Erule isn't as much a necessity as Ras Kass is IMO.

But yeah, I'm waiting to see if when y'all hit like 98-99, if any Fat Pat's or Lil Keke's or Lil Troy's or DJ DMD's make the cut.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There was so much shit that got left out, it's inevitable that there was going to be some shit that got cut. It was exceedingly hard to try and keep these mixes under 3 hours long. But like we said when we started this series, this isn't really like a "Best Of Everyone" type thing. It's really about our own personal interpretation of the year, so with that being the case I don't think that Ras Kass' omission from this mix is a deal-breaker for me.

As for '99, that's my responsibility. I haven't recorded it but it will definitely have a good amount of that stuff on there. But again, there will be shit that I miss - it's just the nature of the beast, especially considering that there's a lot of that stuff that just wasn't on my radar at the time that it was originally released.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

As for '99, that's my responsibility. I haven't recorded it but it will definitely have a good amount of that stuff on there. But again, there will be shit that I miss - it's just the nature of the beast, especially considering that there's a lot of that stuff that just wasn't on my radar at the time that it was originally released.

Carpetbaggeur Revealed

loving the mixes, Cos.

• But again, there will be shit that I miss - it's just the nature of the beast THREAT[/b]

But for the record my Ras Kass cut would be "Won't Catch Me Runnin"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, I was wearing my kufi loud and proud back in '99, dude. Thanks Jay.

Yes, leaving out a track here and there is no big deal considering how much good stuff y'all are including.

I just think things are going to get more and more sectarian for you as you sort through songs from years approaching 2000. As in, does Guerilla Maab's Keep Watching Me get included in the '99 mix? In retrospect, that is the track of that year to a whole lotta people. But I can certainly see how it wouldn't make the cut from the Rub perspective. Not a problem at all really, but that rise of extreme regionalism is a very interesting topic to me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes, leaving out a track here and there is no big deal considering how much good stuff y'all are including.

I just think things are going to get more and more sectarian for you as you sort through songs from years approaching 2000. As in, does Guerilla Maab's Keep Watching Me get included in the '99 mix? In retrospect, that is the track of that year to a whole lotta people. But I can certainly see how it wouldn't make the cut from the Rub perspective. Not a problem at all really, but that rise of extreme regionalism is a very interesting topic to me.

It is an interesting topic. But I just think it's as simple as, with the rise of output, in particular independents, shit just falling through the crack according to one's location. For instance, while I actually have heard OF Guerilla Maab (and I remember that ugly ass cover) I've never heard it. It's just one of those things that wasn't being checked for in Philly in 1999, and wasn't in record stores. But were people checking for Ill Advised in Port Arthur? But I think also in a sense, playing to the regionalism just a little bit might actually be fair to reflect the environment. It's just another one of them things. 1999 is going to be a tough year but I'm definitely going to be fair. But your right about the breadth of things being more narrow in a sense, but that really reflected the environment in my opinion. It's not like it was 1994 when everyone was checking for Rap-A-Lot releases in Philly.

With that being said, No Limit and Cash Money Millionaires shit was HUGE in Philly during those years.

But anyway, I'm just glad that people are enjoying the music.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I'm just glad that people are enjoying the music.
    I'm crying in advance that 2008 minus 1996 equals 12. I want at least a baker's dozen. Maybe a best of history of hip-hop megamix? These mixes remind me why I like rap music.

THANK YOU.
    JRoot

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    These mixes remind me why I like rap music.

THANK YOU.

Absofuckinglutely. They're all I've been listening to for the last week or so and have resulted in many hours spent digging out albums I haven't listened to in years off the back of hearing tracks on the mixes.

Many thanks once again.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    my fav. year in hip hop
    thanks for this