How was Bill Clinton a good president?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I voted for him in '92. So please don't think I'm coming from a Republican place of blanket hate or anything like that. I just don't see how Bill Clinton was any better than any of the other kooks who have run this country in my lifetime. Yet, I'm not starting this post to argue. I would just like to sit back and hear why some of you apparently consider him to have been a good president. Thank you in advance for your detailed answers.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Perhaps you could first explain???in detail???why he wasn't a good president.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    President Bill Clinton left office in 2001 with a federal budget surplus of $127 billion.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How about eliminating the deficit and creating a half trillion dollar surplus? Not a big deal to you I guess...

I still think dude was a snake though. No need to undermine his actual accomplishments though.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    with all due respect, trying to correlate a Presidents term in office and the success of the economy is not necessarily a 1:1 ratio. Wars (justified or not), the value of USD to other currencies, trade deficits and new innovations (e.g. the interweb) often play a larger role in how the well (or poorly) the economy is doing.

• Perhaps you could first explain???in detail???why he wasn't a good president.

for one, welfare 'reform'

well not close to the level of tomfuckery of this current admin. he wasn't so great i don't think.

• he wore a leather jacket and played the sax...need i say more?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    didnt start any stupid ass wars? check.

didnt fuck up the money? check.

good president.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

good president.

dropped bombs on Iraq to distract public from sex scandal? check.

maintained an embargo that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis? check.

dude was a better president than Reagan, Nixon, or either Bush, but that's about it.

• dude was a better president than Reagan, Nixon, or either Bush, but that's about it.

You have a short view of history.

with all due respect, trying to correlate a Presidents term in office and the success of the economy is not necessarily a 1:1 ratio. Wars (justified or not), the value of USD to other currencies, trade deficits and new innovations (e.g. the interweb) often play a larger role in how the well (or poorly) the economy is doing.

He was the first president in god knows how long to raise taxes on the top 2% richest taxpayers in the country, offered tax cuts for small businesses, etc.. Not straight up economic stimuli, schun. Not to mention cutting military spending...

I don't think its coincidence that he's the only president to reverse a gaining deficit to a surplus during his terms only to have the next president reverse the surplus back to a deficit.

I dunno, I think a lot of factors played into it, but I don't think it was at all coincidental.

yeah man, sup J***************n?

good president.

maintained an embargo that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis? check.

dude was a better president than Reagan, Nixon, or either Bush, but that's about it.

still, no dumb wars, money not fucked up.

Im not saying hes abe lincoln, or jesus, but he wasnt a bad pres.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

lol... I have a degree in history. But I'm of the opinion that given the way corporate control of public policy has escalated over the last 30 years and the way governments have smoothed that process along, our last string of presidents are among the worst we've ever had.

lol... I have a degree in history. But I'm of the opinion that given the way corporate control of public policy has escalated over the last 30 years and the way governments have smoothed that process along, our last string of presidents are the among the worst we've ever had.

good point. prolly right.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

good president.

I know I said that I wasn't going to argue, but you should really read this book...

The Immaculate Invasion by Bob Shacochis:

good president.

I know I said that I wasn't going to argue, but you should really read this book...

sum it up for me real quick? I hate politics. And books on politics.

Im not pretending to be the most informed though either.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I think Bill Clinton was a good president, but his overall presidency was a tragic failure due to the sex scandal. This stupid bullshit (on his part) seems to overshadow the fact that he was a good executive who knew his shit, but also deferred to experts from a variety of backgrounds. And despite his reputation as a partisan, he played well with Lott and Gingrich. I certainly do not agree with everything he did policywise, but dude was effective. But again, the fact that, of all places, dude had to holler at some strange in the Oval Office is just beyond retarted.

• lol... I have a degree in history.

that and $2 will get you a bowl of soup

please drop some science on why bill was a bad president.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Good Supreme Court choice.

He had a hand in brokering the N. Ireland peace agreement. Gave his all to settle the Palestinian conflict. In general, foreign policy was positive. Budget discipline was instrumental in raising little dudes actual income for the first time in decades. Crime down. I'd say he was a good president. Of course, 8 years of perspective makes him look like a genius compared to our current oval office seat filler.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

We haven't had a "war" since world war II. Clinton ordered a shitload of military actions, smaller scale stuff, but most notably - Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Serbia.

He was no sheep.

America needs to be standing on the bleeding necks of the impoverished in order to sustain it's fiscal dominance. Need proof? Look at all of central america and africa.

He downsized the military which just happened to coincide with technological advancements, big whoop, still %51 of our taxes feeding that bloated titanic.

I have heard that he had initiated more military actions than any president in history.

Glory Days

• didnt start any stupid ass wars? check.

good president.

We haven't had a "war" since world war II. Clinton ordered a shitload of military actions, smaller scale stuff, but most notably - Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Serbia.

He was no sheep.

America needs to be standing on the bleeding necks of the impoverished in order to sustain it's fiscal dominance. Need proof? Look at all of central america and africa.

He downsized the military which just happened to coincide with technological advancements, big whoop, still %51 of our taxes feeding that bloated titanic.

I have heard that he had initiated more military actions than any president in history.

Glory Days

whatever, no big ass huge wars that they wanna keep going for hundreds of years and costs billions of dollars a day and does nothing....

how bout that?

good president.

Clinton half-stepped on an "invasion" of Haiti and as a result he basically outed every opposition good guy in Haiti to the ton ton macoutes who were very thankful for knowing who they would be murdering next...which they of course went on to do with US troops standing by watching and doing nothing about it.

For that alone...fuck Bill Clinton forever.

good president.

Clinton half-stepped on an "invasion" of Haiti and as a result he basically outed every opposition good guy in Haiti to the ton ton macoutes who were very thankful for knowing who they would be murdering next...which they of course went on to do with US troops standing by watching and doing nothing about it.

What else can you expect from an evil shapeshifting alien reptile? I think you are being too hard on the guy.

Its not as if he bit the blowed or anything.

good president.

What else can you expect from an evil shapeshifting alien reptile? I think you are being too hard on the guy.

FUCK YOU AND YOUR PETTY RESPONSE!

good president.

Yeah, that was extremely fucked up. But don't you think your personal connections to Haiti might bias you there?

That's kinda like business as usual for a president.

• didnt start any stupid ass wars? check.

good president.

Yeah, that was extremely fucked up. But don't you think your personal connections to Haiti might bias you there?

it was[/b]

good president.

Talk to some folks with ties to Serbia, Kosovo, Sudan, Rwanda, etc...and watch how that same "bias" pops up again and again when it comes to Bill Clinton.

good president.

FUCK YOU AND YOUR PETTY RESPONSE!

hey guy, take it easy. Are you sure a full fledged invasion would have been that awesome? lives would be lost either way. Tough call mabye? I dunno. You hate everybody though so what difference does it make.

Id vote for k-rhino though if he opted to crank that president.

good president.

Talk to some folks with ties to Serbia, Kosovo, Sudan, Rwanda, etc...and watch how that same "bias" pops up again and again when it comes to Bill Clinton.

True, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying theres always gonna be someone pissed on. We're American. Our lifestyles are dependent on pissing on someone, even fellow Americans sometimes. More often than not, its the same people.