Another SF Food Thread (prix fixe hookups related)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/dineabouttown/From Jan. 15 to the 31, tons of great restaurants in SF are offering special 3-course dinners for $31.95. Not super cheap, but it's a great deal for what you get a lot of these places. We made reservations at 4 restaurants. Kinda sucks that I'm having two wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow afternoon, as it limited our options/wiped out an entire weekend of potential dinner dates.But tonight, it's Le Colonial. I've only eaten there once, but it was stellar.

Comments

• But tonight, it's Le Colonial. I've only eaten there once, but it was stellar.
    Just ate there two weeks ago.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Never partaken in a restaurant week, but I read this the other day, which made me really cautious about the whole thing.

I'm sure there's deals (and good food!) to be had, in the right places though.

• That's what I'm saying. Some of these places are trying to serve a chicken leg as the entree. NEXT.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The Front Porch isn't on there? That place was yummy in my tummy, ese!

• Update on Le Colonial: it was overrated, the portions were pinner, and the advertised prix fixe dishes had all changed.

I'd also like to add that it's grossly overpriced and similar--but much more authentic and in many cases, much tastier--Vietnamese fare can be had for a tenth the price.

• I have had good and bad experiences restaurant week.

I went to a highly regarded but not-too-cool-for-school place uptown with my parents that had a great menu, slightly pared down but not skimpy, and the service was excellent as was the food.

Wifey and I had a terrible experience at a slightly more "hot" restaurant downtown the following restaurant week. Totally bland menu that we both ended up rejecting... and basically had to plop down $200+ for a meal off the regular menu instead. The wait staff was rude and we were rushed throughout our dinner. It sucked.

If anyone has NYC recommendations to throw, I'm game...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Vietnamese is the best bang for buck cuisine out there, in my humble opinion.

Restaurant week is iffy, you have to be up on your local restaurant experience if you want to enjoy it. There are diamonds in the rough, and I've had some good experiences. However, if you're just going at it by looking at the prix fix menus, w/ no background info, then chances are it'll be a flop.

The trick is to eat at places you would normally eat at the rest of the year. I wouldn't use restaurant week as my first foray of a place.

• Vietnamese is the best bang for buck cuisine out there, in my humble opinion.

walking out the door right now to cop some pho...PHO BAC batches!

• Vietnamese is the best bang for buck cuisine out there, in my humble opinion.

!ta loca!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i like le colonial. the list is really small compared to what it has been in previous years, guess probably cause lots dropped out from losing money. most of these places on the list this year are in the financial district which could be generic and unexciting. i've eaten at cosmopolitan cafe, roy's, one market, les amis, faz, xyz and they are okay for work related lunches, but unmemorable and kinda sterile in atmosphere. i dunno, seems like this list has little variety and is really heavy on american & californian cuisine.

that said i am hitting up the ruth's chris on there with my pallies. STEAK OR DIE!

• i am hitting up the ruth's chris on there with my pallies. STEAK OR DIE!

Now THAT is a good deal on the prix fixe tip! We'll be hittin' em up, too.

• An old homie, who I haven't talked to in a minute, is (was?) a chef at the Le Colonial.