Studio Monitor suggestions

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I need some monitors. Preferably ones that aren't big. These would be a secondary set that I'm setting up in my studio (the first being wall-mounted KRK K-Rok monitors.)If you can look on this list: http://www.labcabin.com/dj_equipment/75/148/ (Change "labcabin" to "turntablelab")See if there's anything that you would suggest on this list.

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Out of that bunch I'd pick the Alesis M1 Active MK2 Monitors (Pair).

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    The new Yamaha's get a lot of praise - FM voted them really highly in their blind shoot out. Plus they're quite small and well priced. There are so many good monitors out now, I'm annoyed I bought mine when I did.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm open to all suggestions but also please look at the list of things that's offered by the Lab, because it will save me some serious loot if I get one of the models that they offer.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Alesis
    M1 Active MK2 Monitors (Pair)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how much you looking to spend or is Labcabin hooking it up?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    None of the ones from Labcabin are gonna help you much if you already have a decent pair.

I also stand by the latest Yamaha series...best you can get for under $700.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    best you can get for under $700.
    you mean this? http://www.abluesky.com/asp/catalogue/products.asp?linkid=20&prodcode=00012

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    best you can get for under $700.
    you mean this?

Those are great too...I just prefer the midrange clarity of the Yamahas.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I basically have the K-Rok's already mounted to my wall and, although they're not top of the line they do treat me very well. The thing is, I'm starting to reconfigure my studio this week and I want to change some of the shit around in my work space. I don't want to have to unmount the monitors from the wall, but what I'm doing is I'm setting up my turntables in a different section of the studio. The KRKs will now be centered for my computer / samplers / mixer-workstation, but I basically want some small independent monitors the serve for my turntables and mixer. Dig?

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i got the alesis m1 active mk2 and i can't complain

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    here in europe you can get a steal on Adam A7s.

They are pretty small, still have a good sound and are very clear.
    Otherwise in the upper lower department...Yamahas perhaps? I havnt ever heard these Alesis things, but apart from the Andromeda I don't recall Alesis producing that great hardware. Anyhow, whatever floats ya boat...

IMO, Monitors should never be ordered but tested and tried out like a new pair of shoes. Afterall they have to fit YOUR ears.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i got the alesis m1 active mk2 and i can't complain

No complaints here, either. Solid pair of monitors.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    if i had to choose from a pair from what turntable lab offered, id pick the those mk2s as well