MIDWEEK FINDS: Week 1, 2008

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Man...I dont get the chance to dig as much as id like to, but wifey and kids are out of town and i hit an old spot today...All for 1 euro each:And these are from a sneaky pre xmas mid-week dig with the infamous FejMelba:

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Nice...what is that shleu shleu? Same photo as nico gomez....

• here's a few post chrimbo records:

the EDEN's CHILDREN is pretty fun jazzy, meaty popsike with some nice drums..

and there's a few cracking breaks amongst the 45's...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

It's a Haitian kompa record and if nzshadow finds that he's not all that into it, he's going to be sending it to me...for I've been on a hunt for that particular one for a while now.

• only a few records this week, but this is definitely the highlight...OG, pre-BOMP:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    definitely the highlight...OG, pre-BOMP

DAMN.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• From the last week of 2007. One amazing find is a garage/psych monster from Hampton, VA called "Promised Land" by Midnight Sunrise on Wind Mill records. Can't find any info on it anywhere. Will post sound clips soon. Its the red label on the left second from the bottom.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

How do you like that Andy Robinson? I just picked it up a week or
    two ago. I thought the mellow folky stuff was pretty awful, but there
    are a few really excellent rockish tracks on there.

Also never seen that Surfaris before, not a huge surf fan but that looks
    pretty good, nice tracklist - I like when surf bands do folk-rock stuff.

• I agree with you on the Andy Robinson. Definitely a few good tracks on there.
    The Surfaris was a nice surprise. It has nice versions of Satisfaction and Shakin All Over on it.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    air!!!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

So, you grabbed the Garota de Ipanema ost.
    Are you feeling it?
    Anything good?

Peace

• air!!!

if you're talking about the APHRODITE's CHILD - it's the heaviest shit ive heard in a little while!!!

• So, you grabbed the Garota de Ipanema ost.
    Are you feeling it?
    Anything good?

Peace
    It's a pretty nice bossa collection. Nothing crazy but definitely worth having and playing.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

It's a Haitian kompa record and if nzshadow finds that he's not all that into it, he's going to be sending it to me...for I've been on a hunt for that particular one for a while now.

why that particular one? It's actually a european repackaging of the original issue of one of Shleu-Shleu's releases here in the U.S.... i forget which one though... remember double checking the tracklisting.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Cool!

Field find or e-find?

Peace

• Cool!

Field find or e-find?

Peace

Cheap e.

• Xmas break here and very quiet on the record front.... but had a pretty good week of real wrold and mailbox finds

The Young Holt is a local pressing - and surprisingly crisp and meaty sounding too - most local editions from the time of release are kind of thin and shitty.

Talking of local the Roger Fox is a NZ classic - title track is a nice mix tape type thing... and the version of Hikky Burr on Golden Horn BB is great in a student band type way.

The 7s are a mixed bunch... Lazy Soul is in rough shape but still a nice grab and I got a mint copy of Freddie McCoys Beans n Greens at the same spot. Managed to snag a copy of the Carol Jones from the web - which makes up for getting stiffed on my previous copy. Does anyone know if it's been bootlegged - the other copy I have has identical label but is the 'string' version... was told the string one had a different label

Soul Crusders is dope - got it for Funky Jive, but actual dig the flip Pretty Lil Mama more. Freddhiie Scott looks like shit but plays real nice

Family back tomorrow, went for a quick dig and came up pretty good:

10 euros total for these two:

5 total for this lot:

The Ray Charles and Nat King Cole's are 10"
    The Samson 45 is a radio jingle for a Dutch brand rolling tobacco, hilarious.

Jef: call me, i lost your number.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    dude smell like Jan allover.

put that sjit off voicemail batch.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Two nice ones waiting for me upon my return from KAUAI.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    how much did Gandalf set you back?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    how much did Gandalf set you back?

It was a trade. Great album though.

Rytmy has a great cover.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    die

• a few latin LPs picked up over the holidays:

rafi val y la diferente - fuerza bruta [vaya]
    tipica ideal - fuera del mundo [coco]
    luis santi y su conjunto - el bigote [sound triangle]
    tipica '73 - s/t [inca]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Have been on a beach holiday the last 10 days, nice, got a bit sunburnt the first day though, hate it when that happens. Anyways, just got home today & here's what I've turned up since xmas. happy new year everyone.

45s
    Peggy Lee - Spinning Wheel (Capitol)
    Clarence Carter - It's All In Your Mind (Atlantic)
    Chambers Bros - New Generation (Columbia promo)
    Terry Woodford - Same Old Feeling (Cotillion promo)
    The Platters - Fear Of Losing You (Musicor)
    John Fred - Hey Hey Bunny (Paula)
    James Brown - Ain't That A Groove (King)
    Bobby Goldsboro - Voodoo Woman (UA)
    King Curtis - Soul Twist (Capitol)
    The Buckinghams - Mercy Mercy Mercy (Columbia)
    Mable John - Don't Hit Me No More (Stax)
    Eddie Holland - Leaving Here (Motown promo)
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Going To A Go-Go (Tampla p/s)
    The Bamboos - Get In The Scene (Tru Thoughts)
    Lefties Soul Connection - Fais Do-Do (MPM)
    Quincy Conserve - Song For The Man (Ode)

• bought the swirl book, lot of information, price guides, + TRAGIC BOOKDESIGN..

the nucleus - elastic rock is a mint swirl.. found it in my local shop for cheap.. now i rock doubles.

the danish jazzdancer record.. i bought it cause i have another one from the series. this one isnt as good as the other one (the other one i got is the one with the magonde track)..

DANISH HEADS.. how many different lps is it? 3? 4? 5? how many do i need to have a complete set.

peace

fred

• Have been on a beach holiday the last 10 days, nice, got a bit sunburnt the first day though, hate it when that happens. Anyways, just got home today & here's what I've turned up since xmas. happy new year everyone.

Kris, what's the Kevin Clarke like? I know there are some nice 45s of his floating around but haven't heard this.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

pulled this and 50 year old super lurker wanted it straight of me.
    mofo didnt want to get his fingers dirty.

love these 70s eastern europe wrecords.