Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited March 4 in Strut Central

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I almost got caught for a DUI on Thursday night. NOT . Officers pulled me over for a headlight that was out. I thought I was swerving, and assumed I was drunk-driving (which I wasn't). I talked my way out of it, by telling the officers that I had 2 beers (more like whiskey and 2 beers), and that I had the Asian glow syndrome, "yea, I get an allergic reaction". Meanwhile, my girl was in the car, wondering why the hell I was talking so much!

The other thing I noticed was that one of the officer's face was slightly flush. This may have been key to my escape. The younger cop may have very likely been drinking that night, while the other drove. After the bitchy, older cop gave me the "look at my finger" test, I was staring at his damn finger like my life depended on it. Well it kinda felt like it did at that moment.

The younger cop came back telling me that I'm getting a warning for my headlights, and that when you drink, make sure you don't drive, because you endanger other's lives as well. He was pretty cool, and seemed to have had a drink before our exchange.

WATCH OUT FOR COPS DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON!!!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Drink driving is so fuckin stupid.

Drink driving is so fuckin stupid.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

How about: don't drink and drive. Ever.

WATCH OUT FOR MY DRINK-DRIVIN ASS DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON!!!!

or take public transport.

• A 0.55 percent blood alcohol level

get on my blood alcohol level

How about: don't drink and drive. Ever.

Sorry Dad.

WATCH OUT FOR MY DRINK-DRIVIN ASS DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON!!!!

or take public transport.

Way to be judgemental buddies. And your second part about public transportation. If only I had that sorta luxury.

My mistake. Drink driving rules.

My apologies douchebag.

• I almost got caught for a DUI on Thursday night. NOT . Officers pulled me over for a headlight that was out. I thought I was swerving, and assumed I was drunk-driving (which I wasn't). I talked my way out of it, by telling the officers that I had 2 beers (more like whiskey and 2 beers), and that I had the Asian glow syndrome, "yea, I get an allergic reaction". Meanwhile, my girl was in the car, wondering why the hell I was talking so much!

The other thing I noticed was that one of the officer's face was slightly flush. This may have been key to my escape. The younger cop may have very likely been drinking that night, while the other drove. After the bitchy, older cop gave me the "look at my finger" test, I was staring at his damn finger like my life depended on it. Well it kinda felt like it did at that moment.

The younger cop came back telling me that I'm getting a warning for my headlights, and that when you drink, make sure you don't drive, because you endanger other's lives as well. He was pretty cool, and seemed to have had a drink before our exchange.

Nice post SHIT-HEAD...Maybe next time you might have an accident and kill/cripple someone and you can tell us about that if you "get away" with it...

• And your second part about public transportation. If only I had that sorta luxury.

Why not get a cab if there are no trains/buses where you live ???

• when the hell was that mugshot taken? She looks perfectly fine! crazy...

• Options
    I heard a story once from a neighbor of mine who's a retired cop. Said they pulled a guy over once for not signaling a turn or something minor like that and were talking to him out of the car for some reason (I think to show him the infraction on his car). They didn't think anything was wrong with him, and one of the cops suggested popping the trunk to see if a wire was loose or disconnected on the taillight. When he opened the trunk they saw a few cases of liquor bottles, all different kinds mixed together. Up until this point my neighbor said they never in a million years suspected this guy of drinking, it wasn't even a thought in their head.

It turned out he was a liquor salesman, and dealt with a lot of restaurants. This usually entailed having a drink or two with the owners of these places when he arrived, then moving on to the next restaurant and doing the same thing. All in the course of his daily business. He told them he had been drinking, yes, as he drinks and drives every day and never has had a single problem over the years. He basically knew he was busted so he was being as cooperative as possible. When they breathalyzed him he wound up blowing close to or slightly over a 0.30, which was the highest reading either cop had ever seen personally. If it wasn't for the taillight they never would have suspected the guy.

• I almost got caught for a DUI on Thursday night. NOT . Officers pulled me over for a headlight that was out. I thought I was swerving, and assumed I was drunk-driving (which I wasn't). I talked my way out of it, by telling the officers that I had 2 beers (more like whiskey and 2 beers), and that I had the Asian glow syndrome, "yea, I get an allergic reaction". Meanwhile, my girl was in the car, wondering why the hell I was talking so much!

Nice post SHIT-HEAD...Maybe next time you might have an accident and kill/cripple someone and you can tell us about that if you "get away" with it...

oh dude, come on! get off the high horse. Yes DRUNK driving is stupid and dangerous. But, the legal limit is VERY VERY VERY low(and rightly so, you got to make it low) but self-righteously saying someone is putting lives in danger because they had 2 maybe 3 drinks over a period of many hours is ridiculous...your biggest danger in the above dudes situation is going to jail...2 or 3 drinks over many hours(unless you are a 80 pound girl) isnt going to make anyone a driving in the wrong lane, t-boning red light running, swerving all over the damn place wiping out a family of four driver...

And yes, take a cab...its what I do, cab ride is probably going to be $25 at most, and if you cant afford that, then you shouldnt have been blowing money at a bar in the first place.

oh dude, come on! get off the high horse. Yes DRUNK driving is stupid and dangerous. But, the legal limit is VERY VERY VERY low(and rightly so, you got to make it low) but self-righteously saying someone is putting lives in danger because they had 2 maybe 3 drinks over a period of many hours is ridiculous...your biggest danger in the above dudes situation is going to jail...2 or 3 drinks over many hours(unless you are a 80 pound girl) isnt going to make anyone a driving in the wrong lane, t-boning red light running, swerving all over the damn place wiping out a family of four driver...

Drink driving is inexcusable, any alcohol affects your reaction times and judgement to some extent and and his post makes it sound like it's something to brag about, anyone who indulges in this is a shit in my opinion.

• Drunk driving is horrible and inexcusable, yes....but, there but for the grace of god. I know i've driven on a few occasions I shouldn't have, and I find it hard to believe that everyone on here is saintly in that category.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    So if you kill someone with your car and you haven't been drinking. Say you were just talking on the phone, eating some popeyes or changing the radio station. Does that make it okay, just because you were sober?

Driving in GENERAL is stupid and dangerous, cars = loaded guns.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    when i was 14 i lost 2 friends to a drunk driver

rip kiesha and landon

one of them was my friend's little sister who was my sweet little girlfriend
    and she was only 13

by chance i happened to ride thru the accident scene on my bike coming back from the park after copping some weed

i got there just a minute after the ambulence did
    the door of the car was literally wrapped around a telephone pole
    my friends were dead on the street and i saw them all fucked up and mangled

drunk drivers should do hard ass time
    the guy who killed my friends did 18 months at county
    fuckery pon selfish drunk skkkumbagz

• Options
    Driving in GENERAL is stupid and dangerous, cars = loaded guns.

Nah, not really.

drunk drivers should do hard ass time
    the guy who killed my friends did 18 months at county
    fuckery pon selfish drunk skkkumbagz

RIP to your girl and her friend, sorry for cutting that out but I wanted to focus on the jail part.

Nassau County, where I live, the new DA got elected after running on a heavy anti-DWI zero tolerance platform. For the first few months NO ONE was driving after even one or two beers spread out over a few hours, you'd see dudes in my town walking everywhere or riding bikes or taking cabs. And sure enough a few people got arrested and hit with major sentences, they were the first to get caught and were the ones who were made examples of.

Then the lawyers stepped in. A guy I knew well from growing up but ceased contact with after his 3rd DWI when he corkscrewed his car off the back of an auto transport truck with the ramp down, I heard he got a 4th DWI 18 months later. His third should have sent him to jail but didn't. We figured his 4th, while he was driving without a license (and this wasn't just a DWI, he drove through the wall of a Chinese restaurant...dude is a human highlight film) we figured it would get him sent away for a few years, maybe 5. He wound up paying a ton of money to a lawyer and was away for 2 months, after 4 DWI's in 8 years, no license, and tons of property damage (the restaurant was closed, no one was hurt). So much for the zero tolerance policy.

To his credit, he's been out for well over a year now and is supposedly clean and sober and trying to scrape his life back together.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The answer is to ban drinking in bars and restaurants and only allow drinking in one's home.

This will save many innocent lives.

• Options
    The answer is to ban drinking in bars and restaurants and only allow drinking in one's home.

This will save many lives.

Shit, why not just bring back Prohibition. Or ban alcohol and legalize herbs, see what happens.

You're kind of right about the bar thing. Think of how many bars out this way that are located in the middle of nowhere with no public transportation around it (Long Island has a real weaksauce public transport system, a little info for the folks not from here). Besides the hardcore townie drunks who ride their bikes, how is everyone else getting home?

Shit, why not just bring back Prohibition. Or ban alcohol and legalize herbs, see what happens.

You're kind of right about the bar thing. Think of how many bars out this way that are located in the middle of nowhere with no public transportation around it (Long Island has a real weaksauce public transport system, a little info for the folks not from here). Besides the hardcore townie drunks who ride their bikes, how is everyone else getting home?

I tended bar at Rumrunner's in Oyster Bay......even a bicycle wouldn't get you there.........drunk kids in the sports cars their Daddy's bought them for days.

Banning alcohol will save more lives than any smoking ban will.

Both are ridiculous, but hey, let's do it for the children.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I tended bar at Rumrunner's in Oyster Bay......even a bicycle wouldn't get you there.........drunk kids in the sports cars their Daddy's bought them for days.

Can't remember if we ever got into this, but are you in support of either legalization or decriminalization of narcotics?

• At this point in my life, alcohol is just about the only drug I indulge...

But, as I said to a coworker who was drinking a martini and telling me I never should have done drugs: Alcohol fucks you up worse, and leads to more destructive behavior, than any illegal drug I ever indulged in.
    It has also led to more emergency room visits than amongst friends and acquiantences than all other drugs, by a LOT.

Alcohol is a serious drug, and just because it is legal, it gets a pass.

Can't remember if we ever got into this, but are you in support of either legalization or decriminalization of narcotics?

Total legalization of Marijuana......immediately

And since our government doesn't have a prayer in hell of stopping the import and distribution of other, harder drugs, I say legalize them too so at the very least the quality will be controlled and people won't be out there "pushing" them in order to get more folks hooked.

And empty our jails of drug offenders so worse criminals who pose a true threat to our society can stay locked up longer.

This coming from someone who has lost good friends to drug abuse.

• Options

And since our government doesn't have a prayer in hell of stopping the import and distribution of other, harder drugs, I say legalize them too so at the very least the quality will be controlled and people won't be out there "pushing" them in order to get more folks hooked.

And empty our jails of drug offenders so worse criminals who pose a true threat to our society can stay locked up longer.

I'm in the camp that just drools over the tax revenue that can be generated. It's not a fun camp, a lot of these guys are wearing ties and twiddling with Blackberries, but it's a camp nonetheless. Camp Taxasmoka. Yeah, that's where I'm at.

I'm in the camp that just drools over the tax revenue that can be generated. It's not a fun camp, a lot of these guys are wearing ties and twiddling with Blackberries, but it's a camp nonetheless. Camp Taxasmoka. Yeah, that's where I'm at.

With the understanding that even with taxes, it will be cheaper to buy than it is today.

Taking drugs out of the hands of organized and disorganized crime is the key.

Back in the day NY state made gambling legal......opened up OTB stores on every corner. What that caused was for organized crime, who made a big chunk of money from illegal gambling, to look for new sources of income. And the result was they got into drugs, something that the crime bosses had deemed off limits for many years.
    So let's take drugs away from them too.

Spanky....where do you stand on this one??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Actually, I'm in agreement with you. At the very least, I think decriminalization of possession is a good place to begin. After 25+ years of "War on Drugs" policy, I've yet to see tangible benefits for our society that's come from the massive incarceration of people based on mandatory sentencing, not the mention the completely absurd crack/powder disparity. Actually, I suppose there has been one "benefit" - namely that incarceration rates helped bring down the crime rate in the '90s but that short-term gain is likely to result in long-term problems, especially given how piss poor American rehabilitation services are.

That said, at heart, I think there's an issue of parity here. It really makes no sense, whatsoever, that tobacco and alcohol are legal while other drugs are not when the actual medical/physical harm by legal substances are so obvious. In other words, I think the policy needs to be consistent...I'd be more comfortable with marijuana being illegal if tobacco and alcohol were too. But if you're going to green light Lucky Strike and Bud, then sheeyit, free up the bud.

That said, I have concerns over the long-term consequences of mass legalization. While the tax angle is often used as an incentive, if you look at how well that's worked in the cases of tobacco and alcohol - I wonder to what extent taxation on either has helped temper the number of people sick or dying from their use. Throw in the hypothetical number of people hopped up on heroin, coke, meth, etc. and it's not a pretty scenario. That said, I don't think current policy is going to succeed at either eradicating drug availability or tempering use.

Actually, I'm in agreement with you. At the very least, I think decriminalization of possession is a good place to begin. After 25+ years of "War on Drugs" policy, I've yet to see tangible benefits for our society that's come from the massive incarceration of people based on mandatory sentencing, not the mention the completely absurd crack/powder disparity. Actually, I suppose there has been one "benefit" - namely that incarceration rates helped bring down the crime rate in the '90s but that short-term gain is likely to result in long-term problems, especially given how piss poor American rehabilitation services are.

That said, at heart, I think there's an issue of parity here. It really makes no sense, whatsoever, that tobacco and alcohol are legal while other drugs are not when the actual medical/physical harm by legal substances are so obvious. In other words, I think the policy needs to be consistent...I'd be more comfortable with marijuana being illegal if tobacco and alcohol were too. But if you're going to green light Lucky Strike and Bud, then sheeyit, free up the bud.

That said, I have concerns over the long-term consequences of mass legalization. While the tax angle is often used as an incentive, if you look at how well that's worked in the cases of tobacco and alcohol - I wonder to what extent taxation on either has helped temper the number of people sick or dying from their use. Throw in the hypothetical number of people hopped up on heroin, coke, meth, etc. and it's not a pretty scenario. That said, I don't think current policy is going to succeed at either eradicating drug availability or tempering use.

Would you support making tobacco and alcohol illegal???