i know what i want to do with my life

2»

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

now that i think of it. children at that young of an age (unless they are geniuses) aren't going to understand music theory and stuff anyway.

i disagree. In fact, this is exactly when you should start teaching it, if not sooner. Of course, they won't understand advanced stuff, but it's actually NEVER too early to start teaching it. straight up. Music theory isn't Frickin' rocket science, especially the basics. It's kind of like learning addition and subtraction, or how to spell.

To the cat who said theory isn't that important- I know what you mean, but I kind of disagree. Theory, when properly integrated with other aspects of teaching music, can only help. Sure, you can become a great musician without studying it formally, but think about how much greater you can be with firm theoretical knowledge. We want to equip these kids with everything that will allow them to approach their full potential.
    I mean, though, if theory isn't as much your bag, don't get me wrong- there's plenty of other valuable stuff to teach them. But I think it should all be integrated.

Years ago I moved with this girl into a kind of economically-depressed neighborhood. Also a neighborhood where just from our appearances, we immediately stood out. This girl was an artist, I a musician. She got this idea to offer beginning music and art classes to the neighborhood kids. We got some basic and cheap supplies, and put up flyers around the 'hood to advertise. Our plan was to initially give the classes for free, to begin to engender trust among our new neighbors, before even considering asking for compensation, which would have immediately made people suspicious of us. Initially, only one or two kids would show up. Unfortunately I guess we were at a sort of flakey stage in our lives, and we didn't really work hard to continue the program, although I think if we'd persisted, we would have been able to gather some momentum. Still looking back, it was one of the coolest ideas I've ever been a part of, and I'll always respect + admire my old girlfriend, as the whole thing was basically her idea.

man good luck, keep at it, keep the ideas and actions flowing, start small if you need to. Why not even consider getting those certifications you need to become 'legit'?

Personally I have found that everything in life is more simple than we make it out to be. Nothing is too complex, unlearnable or mysterious. However, I don't agree with alot of the teachings of Theory, because it overcomplicates something that comes naturally.

To me, Musical Structure, Genres, Styles are all assistance to the Expression of the musician. Melody, Harmony, Acoustics, Tones, Colors, Techniques can all be dissected with a good ear. A lot of my favorite musicians are uneducated or self-taught, and some of the most advanced pieces of music were not created with theory in mind.

I know my opinion is controversial, but I've been doing plenty of research on the subject.

- spidey

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

To me, Musical Structure, Genres, Styles are all assistance to the Expression of the musician. Melody, Harmony, Acoustics, Tones, Colors, Techniques can all be dissected with a good ear. A lot of my favorite musicians are uneducated or self-taught, and some of the most advanced pieces of music were not created with theory in mind.

I know my opinion is controversial, but I've been doing plenty of research on the subject.

- spidey

Nice post, I agree with you fully.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i don't think it matters if the kids doesn't understand music theory.

teach them rhythms, kids are easier to pick up rhythms and they always find it fun, so teaching them drums and congas etc.

all the best with it!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I've been working to bring enrichment music programming to my local elementary school this trimester. I wrote a grant and hired a Ghanaian drummer who has been working with the kids, teaching dance and singing as well. I just went to one of their practices yesterday. Simply amazing. 30 kids playing thunder drums and 15 dancing. One of the most rewarding things I've done all year. If you're in town next week the kids are performing at Boise-Eliot Elementary Thursday Dec. 20th 6-8pm.

• I work with homeless kids 16-21 in crisis accomodation and getting them to make their own beats (Ableton is good as it makes it pretty user friendly and immediate) has been a wonderful tool in connecting and helping them to express what they need to express.

I would recommend volunteering at a youth centre etc

Get out there and get into it

Volunteering can give you a good feel for the realities of working with kids and can lead sometimes to work.

I have a friend who was running a music program on a very remote Aboriginal comuunity who did amazing things in helping to heal the community and help the kids do something positive in their lives. It took time and patience and commitment

to quote the Ojays

Music is the healing force of the world
    It's understood by every man woman boy and girl

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I wrote a grant and hired a Ghanaian drummer

Obo Addy?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Actually, Chata Addy, his nephew. You should come if you have some time. The kids are awesome.

• i have a meeting on Monday with an old business teacher who i kept in contact throughout the years. she always gives it to me straight and lets me know exactly what is going on in the district. how their budget is...politics within the district.

i am going to pitch this idea to her and see if it is something i can start with a test run closer to mid-Winter since schools are already starting to go on Christmas break.

if it is something that can work out i am looking to make it something i can span throughout the school year amongst several districts and throughout several grade levels.

in fact if this will work. i can maybe use help within the tri-state area. people who might want to help with workshops and demonstrations.

i figure the possibilities are endless. let's just hope the schools go for it.

i equate this almost to an assembly with a guest speaker but with a hands on approach and a much smaller focused audience.

i will let you all know how the meeting goes.

How'd it go?