Funk, Soul & Afrobeat Mix feat. Psychedelic Aliens

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
As promised before, here's one hour of Funk, Soul, Psych & Afrobeat. All records were found on my last trip to Ghana.All tracks besides Marijata, Ashantis and Uhuru Dance Band are 45s originating from Big Mama Unice's Drinking Spotclick on image to listen:00:00 I. Garison Organisation - move them05:45 Psychedelic Aliens - blofonyobi wo atale08:35 Assagai - cocoa12:40 African Brothers -don't forget15:45 Psychedelic Aliens - extraordinary woman18:45 The Big Beats - kyenkyema21:40 The BBQs - aya lolo25:25 The Sweet Talks - mampam sukuruwe29:30 Freedom Family - holly worshipping33:05 Uhuru Dance Band - i know my mission36:35 Marijata - i can say41:45 Ashantis - i got my troubles45:15 The Big Beats - mi nsumoo bo donn48:45 Fela Ransome Kuti - who're you?52:42 Uhuru Dance Band - yahyia mu56:45 I. Garison Organisation - easy soul

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    1st to say thanks.

Killin it as usual Frank.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DLing now

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DLing now

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DLing now

Yeah, seems like it's on some

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Thanks Frank. It's awesome that you do this, and more awesome that you do this so regularly.

• Thanks Frank, I'm looking foward to hearing this.

• wow! This might be my favorite one so far(although I havent checked the Jazz and Highlife one yet, and Im assuming there is lots of creepy, minor keyed reverbed-out stuff on that one, which I cant wait to hear)!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    wow is right. hot, especially the whole 2nd half.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Listening to this at work right now. Love the 3rd or 4th track with the muted horn solo. Private boner busting through my pants.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Thank you so much, Frank.

Like always,

Peace

• another classic! thank you Frank!

those pix on the blog are also

• Slamming stuff!

Is that Big Beats on red Philips?

Also "cocoa" was always my fave track by Assagai. Is that a local issue?

Peace,

Dress

That Big Beats 45 is one of the best african double siders I have heard ever.

• can't wait to get home and dl this.

thanks so much for all the mixes you've been dropping for free.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Also "cocoa" was always my fave track by Assagai. Is that a local issue?

Peace,

Dress

That Big Beats 45 is one of the best african double siders I have heard ever.

the Assagai track is from a 45 on Philips, blue label. There's no reference to where the record was pressed on the label itself but it was in a Nigerian Philips company sleeve. My guess is that it's a Nigerian press because all the other 45s from this batch were local, West African pressings.

• Many thanks.

Just rocked this one while conducting my first inventory of the vault in the archive I work in (Pequot Museum in CT). Listening to raers while looking at raers. This might be my favorite mix yet. Can't wait to give a copy to my Ghanaian friend ... he'll cherish it up for sure.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    thanks for another great mix!

already busted "show me your backside" earlier today

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Many thanks. You keep bringing that heat.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This mix completely fuckin' rules.

thanks as always, these just keep getting better.