Daft Punk "Alive"

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I know were not supposed to be jocking these guys right now cause they are so huge all of a sudden and were sooo on to the next thing. But god damn this shit right here is pretty hard to front on. Wish i had made it to see em live, cause it looks like a crazy show, but i feel like as far as live albums go, this one captures alot of what made the last tour so huge. your comments?

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I???m seeing them in less than a month and I can???t wait.

• Anyone pick up their live in Liverpool record? That still gets a lot of play around my place...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I need this in my life right now

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Why isn't there a LIVE dvd to this? Am I missing something?

• Why isn't there a LIVE dvd to this? Am I missing something?

i think because it would be hard to make 2 guys in robot helmets standing behind a whole lot of geat look that exciting.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You guys in Australia get to see them with The Presets. Lucky.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

i think because it would be hard to make 2 guys in robot helmets standing behind a whole lot of geat look that exciting.

Haha. If they do a DVD it should really just be of the visuals that they used on-stage, not of them.

They have a unique sound and know what people want out of their show. Still surprises me just how huge they have become with the average music fan who doesn't otherwise listen to electronic music.

• You guys in Australia get to see them with The Presets. Lucky.

Yeah they've turned it into a mini festival of sorts - it starts at 2 in the afternoon and is scheduled to go for 8 hours our something crazy like that.

But it is amazing how huge they have become, i seriously don't know anyone who ISN'T going.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    You guys in Australia get to see them with The Presets. Lucky.

the presets play everyweek here

• Saw their show in Vegas, incredible live show:

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

they said they think its cool that so many people got their own cell phone clips of the shows on youtube and that they could never make a dvd that was better than those.

I dunno, i think it goes along with the whole mysterious thing they have going.

whats really amazing is they made such a huge comeback without even putting a new record out, they just went out and killed it live so many times that millions of people are into them now. Which is pretty fuckin cool if you ask me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    whats really amazing is they made such a huge comeback without even putting a new record out, they just went out and killed it live so many times that millions of people are into them now. Which is pretty fuckin cool if you ask me.

Agreed.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I remember asking these girls in Chicago at Lollapoolza if they were going to see Daft Punk later that night. They said "Nah, were going to see Ben Harper, we don't like that techno dance stuff." Dumb broads, they missed the best act of the whole weekend.

They did come out of a hole and blow peoples minds this year that have never heard them.

I remember asking these girls in Chicago at Lollapoolza if they were going to see Daft Punk later that night. They said "Nah, were going to see Ben Harper, we don't like that techno dance stuff." Dumb broads, they missed the best act of the whole weekend.

They did come out of a hole and blow peoples minds this year that have never heard them.

well, i bet they are into em now. My sister has heard of them. Which for me, is the ultimate barometer for when something has officially crossed over.

Listening to the record im kinda amazed at how much better alot of these songs are live. I remember getting discovery and kinda being underwhelmed by some of the quieter cuts on there that just turned into monsters over the course of the live set.

so check it out even if you are not a huge fan.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Unfortunately these two hotties from Chi-town kept me distracted from a medium portion of the show. I can't complain.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hey dudes i just discovered this group called 'a tribe called quest' ... what do you think??

no but seriously, see them live. i started a thread about this awhile ago i think. too true.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Wish i had made it to see em live, cause it looks like a crazy show, but i feel like as far as live albums go, this one captures alot of what made the last tour so huge.

Have you got the live album yet? If so, what tracks are worthy of buying from itunes or amazon?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i would pass on the live album honestly
    kind of zzz

the show is more about spectacle + really really loud soundsystem

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    kind of zzz

wrong!!!, this album is perfectly mixed with crowd vs. music. I felt at times wanting to look for them on a stage in my living room, because this spectacle has to be seen in person to fuck with.

hey dudes i just discovered this group called 'a tribe called quest' ... what do you think??

no but seriously, see them live. i started a thread about this awhile ago i think. too true.

dude, tribe called quest sucked live.

Anyways, this isnt really about look i just discovered daft punk. Im saying that the live album is awesome.

But you will probably sleep cause its too obvious for you or something.

kind of zzz

wrong!!!, this album is perfectly mixed with crowd vs. music. I felt at times wanting to look for them on a stage in my living room, because this spectacle has to be seen in person to fuck with.

Well, i do really wish they would make a dvd. But speaking as someone who completely missed the live show, I still think its an awesome album to pick up.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    kind of zzz

Well, i do really wish they would make a dvd. But speaking as someone who completely missed the live show, I still think its an awesome album to pick up.

Has anyone seen "Electroma"?

Should I say Maybe. I need to see the whole thing before commenting.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I heard Electrorama was pretty weak. I'm honestly not even going to give it a shot after making the mistake of Netflixing the little anime film they scored that was basically like "Jem" meets "Silverhawks" (aka "Thundercats" in space), aka:

awww man. electroma isnt good? My good friend from college plays the gold robot in that!

Anybody else going to the screening tomorrow night in l.a.?

I heard Electrorama was pretty weak. I'm honestly not even going to give it a shot after making the mistake of Netflixing the little anime film they scored that was basically like "Jem" meets "Silverhawks" (aka "Thundercats" in space), aka:

thundercats in space sounds pretty good. I think you might wanna rephrase your review there.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

thundercats in space sounds pretty good. I think you might wanna rephrase your review there.

It was actually a show, made by the same folks as the Thundercats. It's when Jem is added to the equation where it becomes wack.

I am sure Electrorama will be better than that one, Intersteller 5555, which a lot of hardcore Daft Punk people think was a major reason why the Discovery album didn't really blow up until four or five years after it came out -- they never had any proper music videos to promote it effectively.