Art Students declare WAR on the streets of NYC!

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Why do I feel like this is between rich art students versus rich art students?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Looks to me like its between artists interested in art and artists interested in making money.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This has been going on for a minute. Seems kinda foul to me, maybe just cause I like Swoon's stuff.

Whether they have a point or not, glass shards in the wheat paint is really nagl, even if it is a pretty shrewd publicity stunt.....

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They got guns?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Hasn't 'the splasher' been unmasked already?!

I think what's going on in the 'real' art world is much more disturbing than any of this street art silly bollox.

• FOUL!

Street art (and graffiti proper, though I am wary of lumping them together) gives anyone who wants to say something or show something a forum. If there are a handful of dudes making money out of it MORE POWER TO THEM. I don't see anyone destroying works in a gallery, which it could be argued are MORE geared to a commercial market.
    If foolios tried this shit in a gallery environment they would be cuffed pretty Frickin' quickly. I'd rather look at a potentially commercially exploited image than a splash of paint thanks.

Seems like sour grapes.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    FOUL!

Street art (and graffiti proper, though I am wary of lumping them together) gives anyone who wants to say something or show something a forum. If there are a handful of dudes making money out of it MORE POWER TO THEM. I don't see anyone destroying works in a gallery, which it could be argued are MORE geared to a commercial market.
    If foolios tried this shit in a gallery environment they would be cuffed pretty Frickin' quickly. I'd rather look at a potentially commercially exploited image than a splash of paint thanks.

Seems like sour grapes.

You miss the point some what, but hey ho. It's all already happened.

• Artist's should be paid.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Those posters are filled with so much pretentious bullshit that it's kind of astonishing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A local gallery should commission some artists to duplicate the wall art with the "Splasher's" handiwork included, wheatpasted poster and all, and ask $100,000 a piece for them.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Those posters are filled with so much pretentious bullshit that it's kind of astonishing.

agreed. So much so that i cant even figure out what the fuck they are mad about.

• This is all just part of the "StreetArt culture". Artists have been warring with other artists and crews for years. A good example is the well documented story of CAP during the 80's in N.Y. He was one fo the biggest "villains" in graffiti. In Style Wars he threatens violence to those that cross his path. People take this shit seriously. I think the stinkbomb attacks are taking it a little to far. In this day and age when it's against the Patriot Act to do anything, these actions just look like terrorism. No wonder the potential time done for this crime is so high. I'd like to see a rapist be put away for that long!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

agreed. So much so that i cant even figure out what the fuck they are mad about.

Dude is pissed that the product of street art has superseded the process of creating it. Basically, the commodification of street art has rendered it impotent. blah blah blah.

I'm actually not mad at the splasher dude. I don't really have the energy to either agree or disagree with his message, but at least he has a message.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    A local gallery should commission some artists to duplicate the wall art with the "Splasher's" handiwork included, wheatpasted poster and all, and ask $100,000 a piece for them.

Yes! Rock, you have pretty much nailed this one.

• A local gallery should commission some artists to duplicate the wall art with the "Splasher's" handiwork included, wheatpasted poster and all, and ask $100,000 a piece for them.

That would be hilarious.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

I actually did this yesterday, sold the work at 3:38 am for $335,000, and am now spending my share of the funds (the gallery got 97%) on xian country records as I write this.

• Talented artists who create impressive work that give life to an urban landscape, regardless of flimsy accusations of "selling out"

vs.

Thesaurus-addicted (and more than likely, trust-funded) vandals employing badly-DTP'd pseudo-intellectual anarchist screeds to mask their own sour grapes and lack of artistic ability

Please. This is why the phrases "no contest" and "bush league" were invented. Pathetic. Please to go back to your MRR subscription, Crass albums, and Food Not Bombs meetings.

• Talented artists who create impressive work that give life to an urban landscape, regardless of flimsy accusations of "selling out"

vs.

Thesaurus-addicted (and more than likely, trust-funded) vandals employing badly-DTP'd pseudo-intellectual anarchist screeds to mask their own sour grapes and lack of artistic ability

Please. This is why the phrases "no contest" and "bush league" were invented. Pathetic. Please to go back to your MRR subscription, Crass albums, and Food Not Bombs meetings.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Talented artists who create impressive work that give life to an urban landscape, regardless of flimsy accusations of "selling out"

vs.

• Oh I didn't read that before my previous post. My apologies for accusing "the splasher" of being a sheltered trust-fund anarchist.

His trail of paint-dripped terror extends from Williamsburg, to Soho, and back again

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't see anyone destroying works in a gallery

Monet's Le Pont d'Argenteuil vandalized

Yeah--or photograph the wall freshly "splashed" (before anyone else), then whitewash the whole thing, make a gicl??e print, sell.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I actually did this yesterday, sold the work at 3:38 am for $335,000, and am now spending my share of the funds (the gallery got 97%) on xian country records as I write this.

Buy It Now: $9,000.00

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

well thanks for the offer... but I actually have doubles of that already. Do you have the follow up release to this Lp? They do a more upbeat version of "To Sir With Love" on that one, with the expected Lord Leanings.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

BUY IT NOW, $5.00

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    You are consistently LATE.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't see anyone destroying works in a gallery

Two Canadians who like to do it in the gallery - the second link has a little list of others:

Jubal Brown

Istvan Kantor

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    how can the glass hurt you if you take the poster down? It's not going to explode in your face.

how can the glass hurt you if you take the poster down? It's not going to explode in your face.
    It can become embedded in your skin.

• I don't see anyone destroying works in a gallery

Two Canadians who like to do it in the gallery - the second link has a little list of others:

Jubal Brown

Istvan Kantor

Thanks for that, I read about the Monet but the others were off my radar. Both quite odd.

• Dudes better be driving their on the cry-way to get some waaaaaah-burgers, french cries, and a salty weineken.

The definition of ass-hurt.