Turkey week finds

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
From the last ten days or so: The Meditation Singers (top right) may be the best gospel album I own. Amazing stuff. On Jewel from 1972. and finally this came into the store this morning (worked out a trade for it):

Comments

• nice owrk on the silver apples and Osanna - im dead jealous...

here's some stuff ive got recently -- some in trade, some off t'internet and others from the charities:

really enjoying the Advancement LP -- its great. havent listened to a few of the others yet.
    the 7's above are:
    45 KING - "900 number" (vocal)
    SUZI QUATRO - "space cadet" (rubbish)
    MAESTRO FRESH WES - "let your backbone slide"
    RATTLES - "the witch" (ace!!)

and these are a bunch of french 7's i got for a few euros each. a few are doubles so i'll whack them in the trade section:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    All within the last days in the shop on my street. Yesss, good times....

*[insert Niagara 1st, Mombasa 1st & 4th, Freddie Hubbard The Night Of The Cookers Vol.1, Guisando as Fania Venezuelan press, Dave Pike 1st on mps and others...]

Today I found Danny Krivits "Rock The House Pt. 1/2" plus some white labels from the early 80???s and a one sided prince live recording, the runout says ???HR 5 ??? A???. Does anyone have any info on that, real prince heads might know the deal?! Thanks in advance!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    a buncha stuff, but what I am most excited about

was in terrible shape, but after much cleaning, sounds quite fine! for $0

can't believe it took me this long to get this one

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Indo-Jazz Suite is an all-time fave of mine.

• that meditation singers is class. Andre Williams production, about the least likely gospel record producer I can think of. (also the red label issue is a boot, the blue label is og)

Good, I got the right one. I played it out last Saturday night and had two people come up and ask me about it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Andre Williams production, about the least likely gospel record producer I can think of.

Anyway, that Meditation Singers album is a true favorite
    of mine. "Good Ole' Gospel Music" is a mixtape staple.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

That Triangle - Peut-Etre Demain is pure fire, but the LP mix sounds way better than the 45 for some reason.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    READ EM AND SQUINT BATCHES!!!

• that meditation singers is class. Andre Williams production, about the least likely gospel record producer I can think of. (also the red label issue is a boot, the blue label is og)

Good, I got the right one. I played it out last Saturday night and had two people come up and ask me about it.

AMAZING album. Some parts sound like old Funkadelic to me.

• Found some goodies at the flea this weekend:

- Experience Unlimited - s/t (Black Fire)... this is amazing.

- Fred Wesley & The JBs - Damn Right.. (German press)

- Etta Jones - Don't Go To Strangers (Prestige)

- 3 Pieces - Vibes of Truth

- Backlash - s/t (Sphere Records DC funk/disco jammy, pretty dope)

- Jimmy Ross - First True Love Affair 12"

- Gwen McCrae - Keep The Fire Burning 12"

- Spanish Fly & Terrible Two - Spanglish 12" (Enjoy)

- Tony Lee - Reach Up 12" (Radar)

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    just came back from vegas, but brought back no records. however, my man john doe was super dude enough to take me to the rich rosen experience. H O L Y S H I T !

i was fortunate enough to witness a full blown rosen explosion, even though it was at the expense of my host (yo i know you'll get that h n p's 45 sooner or later). anyways, there are grails for days at that spot but i didn't bother building a stack because of what i've heard about his absurd pricing. but doe dug deep in the trunk of his stupid fresh ride

and hooked up

then 2 hours after getting off the plane back in the bay i stopped by a spot on the way home and pulled

• That Triangle - Peut-Etre Demain is pure fire, but the LP mix sounds way better than the 45 for some reason.

yeah -- i love botht sides of that 7. which album is it originally on? the one with the burning piano on the cover? - i havent got that LP of theirs.... ive only got the one where the band are up against a firing squad on the cover. great album.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    that meditation singers is class. Andre Williams production, about the least likely gospel record producer I can think of. (also the red label issue is a boot, the blue label is og)

It's the best Meditation Singers album IMO. The Stepney-produced Bad Apple LP is the one everyone goes for but this is the real gem in their catalogue. Feel It is the really tough album to find on vinyl but it has a couple of great tracks. Don't You Want To Go is also nice.

• sorry for the really bad picture quality

rehash - spring 1980/roots & rivulet
    rehash - the extended player ep
    rehash - disco 33

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Found some goodies at the flea this weekend:

- Experience Unlimited - s/t (Black Fire)... this is amazing.

- Fred Wesley & The JBs - Damn Right.. (German press)

- Etta Jones - Don't Go To Strangers (Prestige)

- 3 Pieces - Vibes of Truth

- Backlash - s/t (Sphere Records DC funk/disco jammy, pretty dope)

- Jimmy Ross - First True Love Affair 12"

- Gwen McCrae - Keep The Fire Burning 12"

- Spanish Fly & Terrible Two - Spanglish 12" (Enjoy)

- Tony Lee - Reach Up 12" (Radar)

Nice finds... Backlash is the shit.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A couple of 45 upgrade & some longtime wants that had so far eluded me, weird though because they're not rare at all.

Syl Johnson - Come On Sock It To Me upgrade
    Darrell Banks - Somebody Needs You
    Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours
    Booker T - Soul Dressing
    Meters - Ease Back upgrade

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Finally some non-mailbox reggae joints...
    And a real nice Andrew Hill too!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

So good and a little on the grimey side!!! Between the recording and their voices, this is sweet and raw and soulful through and through. This is my favourite girl group record of the moment.