DC STRUTTERS: Good jazz spots?

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm going to be in the NoVA / DC area Wednesday through Sunday. I've walked around Old Town Alexandria at night, and although I caught some great flamenco guitar (@ Las Tapas) I haven't heard any good live jazz. Would Adams Morgan be better for this?

Comments

• Twins Lounge on U Street is probably your best bet:
    http://www.twinsjazz.com/
    You can also try Bossa in Adams Morgan, Utopia on U Street or Bohemian Caverns also on U. Blues Alley in Georgetown is the most famous jazz spot in DC. Very pricey but they get the big names and the vibe is tough to beat.
    If you're out Saturday I'll be DJing a jazz, soul and funk set at Marvin (as is Marvin Gaye) which just opened at the corner of 14th and U.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    U Street at 14th has Twins Jazz, which sports a pretty good line-up on the regular, they also have another Twins (the other twin owner) down on Colorado Ave NW, and Butch Warren used to have a group that played there every Wednesday night.

Blues Alley in Georgetown is also a great spot, but frequently quite expensive, but they have top national acts in there regularly.

My partner DCDigga and I do a jazz happy hour every wednesday from 7-10 at Cafe St-Ex(14th and T NW, just down the street from Twins) , he will be down there this week. He is definetly on the funkier side of jazz, but it's top flight all the way.

here's some info:

Blues Alley
    1073 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Washington, DC (202) 337-4141.

Bohemian Caverns
    2001 Eleventh St., NW Washington, DC (202) 299-0801

National Gallery of Art's Jazz in the Garden
    Pavilion Caf?? at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden, 7th and Constitution NW, Washington, DC
    No cover charge
    Live music: Fridays 5-8:30 p.m. Memorial Day weekend through mid-September
    Enjoy live jazz outdoors amid beautiful landscaping and sculptures.

Smithsonian Jazz Caf??
    National Museum of Natural History
    10th St. & Constitution Ave. NW, Washington, DC (202) 357-2700

Twins Jazz
    1344 U St. NW, Washington, DC (202) 234-0072.

Twins Lounge
    5516 Colorado Ave. NW, Washington, DC (202) 882-2523.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Thank you both.. this is the info I needed. Will definitely be looking into these suggestions this weekend!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    UM, DUDE.[/b] Go next week too.

11/30-12/1
    Reggie Workman's Sculptured Sounds Presents @ http://www.twinsjazz.com/

Reggie Workman (bass)
    Rashied Ali (drums)
    Hal Galper (piano)
    $27

Musical alchemy as the futuristic Coltrane alums, Rashied Ali and Reggie Workman join Grammy award winning pianist Hal Galper (Phil Woods and Brecker Brothers alum) in an experiment to meld styles in search of a fresh musical stream.

Workshop on the Music Business ??? 2pm Saturday

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    when i was in DC ('99-'00) i used to go to columbia station in adam's morgan on friday nights for some BADASS jazz. this is the way you really wanna see a show. small bar, no-cheap cover, cheap drinks, sitting next to the pianist and arm's length from the drummer.

does anyone know if this jazz show still goes on, or even if columbia station is still open?
    lots of fond memories of those nights

• Columbia Station is still going...have never checked it out though.

Co-sign on all the spots mentions, but I am a big fan of "The Young Lions" that often play @ Bohemian Caverns.

• UM, DUDE.[/b] Go next week too.

11/30-12/1

Reggie Workman (bass)
    Rashied Ali (drums)
    Hal Galper (piano)
    $27

Musical alchemy as the futuristic Coltrane alums, Rashied Ali and Reggie Workman join Grammy award winning pianist Hal Galper (Phil Woods and Brecker Brothers alum) in an experiment to meld styles in search of a fresh musical stream.

Um, dude wanna drive up there and see that shit. Car pool.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    UM, DUDE.[/b] Go next week too.

11/30-12/1

Reggie Workman (bass)
    Rashied Ali (drums)
    Hal Galper (piano)
    $27

Sounds dope.. I might have to make it up for this as well.

• Third Thursdays in the Congress Park neighborhood Fatback strips naked and whistles the entirety of Sonny's Time Now. Corner of Malcolm X SE and MLK SE. I've been twice and it's so worth the trip