Slave Names*

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I came across this article in the NYTimes yesterday; "for the first time, two Hispanic surnames ??? Garcia and Rodriguez ??? are among the top 10 most common in the nation, and Martinez nearly edged out Wilson for 10th place."What I found even more interesting was the following:"The durability of some of the most common names in American history may also have been perpetuated because slaves either adopted or retained the surnames of their owners. About one in five Smiths are black, as are about one in three Johnsons, Browns, and Joneses and nearly half the people named Williams.[/b] The Census Bureau???s analysis found that some surnames were especially associated with race and ethnicity. More than 96 percent of Yoders, Kruegers, Muellers, Kochs, Schwartzes, Schmitts and Novaks were white. Nearly 90 percent of the Washingtons were black, as were 75 percent of the Jeffersons, 66 percent of the Bookers, 54 percent of the Banks and 53 percent of the Mosleys. [/b]"While none of this was particularly shocking, it did suddenly occur to me that I have never actually met a white person with the last name Washington, Jefferson, Johnson, or Brown...In fact, I usually think of "White" as being a surname more commonly associated with black Americans. It reminded me of an old friend whose last name was "Jenkins;" she told me that she used her middle name "Lakesha" when she "wanted people to know she was black..." I asked her why she didn't think that "Jenkins" was enough of a giveaway?*Disclosure: I am a black American who "inherited" a British surname.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

While none of this was particularly shocking, it did suddenly occur to me that I have never actually met a white person with the last name Washington, Jefferson, Johnson, or Brown...In fact, I usually think of "White" as being a surname more commonly associated with black Americans. It reminded me of an old friend whose last name was "Jenkins;" she told me that she used her middle name "Lakesha" when she "wanted people to know she was black..." I asked her why she didn't think that "Jenkins" was enough of a giveaway?

you are showing yourself to be from outside the Midwest, where there are an abundance of (white) Browns, Whites, Jeffersons, Washingtons, Jenkins, even some white Bookers.

• I was born in the eastern shore of Maryland... and there were a lot of plantation names that stuck. Purnell was huge... i know like 30-40 black kids who went to our school had that last name. Which was a big plantation. Shockley was a big plantation name too... showell as well. There were others I forget as well. Anyone else live in the south east and have this?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

you are showing yourself to be from outside the Midwest, where there are an abundance of Browns, Whites, Jeffersons, Washingtons, Jenkins, even some white Bookers.

I did a four-year stint in North Dakota, but a lot of the surnames are of the Nordic variety...That, coupled with my family being from Jaw-Juh/South Carolina, probably skews my views a bit!

you are showing yourself to be from outside the Midwest, where there are an abundance of Browns, Whites, Jeffersons, Washingtons, Jenkins, even some white Bookers.

I did a four-year stint in North Dakota, but a lot of the surnames are of the Nordic variety...That, coupled with my family being from Jaw-Juh/South Carolina, probably skews my views a bit!

I refuse to believe you didn't meet any white Johnsons in North Dakot-y. Not everyone is named Knudsen (although a lot of them are!). Our names probably all started to sound the same!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

My last name is Walker and I met some Caucasoid Walkers in college.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    white Johnsons

• My lastname is Jenkins and I'm not white nor black, I'm just IRONFEET, hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm... Bay Area give me your RECORDS!!!!

white Johnsons

My lastname is Jenkins and I'm not white nor black, I'm just IRONFEET, hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm... Bay Area give me your RECORDS!!!!

I'm pretty sure Ironfeet is a slave name....s'up IJ.

white Johnsons

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

More than 96 percent of Yoders, Kruegers, Muellers, Kochs, Schwartzes[/b], Schmitts and Novaks[/b] were white.

Most Jewish people have white skin, and both of these surnames are totally heebed out, so it's no surprise that there aren't a bunch of asian, hispanic, native american, black, or pacific islander Novaks getting their menorahs ready right now.

Good work census bureau.

• Wilson here.

• Most Jewish people in America[/b] have white skin

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I would be thinking the same thing. The only white guys with anglo names I know in Jersey get solicited to black versions of themselves. Not that society didn't know this about itself already, but I find it remarkable for an area with such an excessively diverse cultural make-up. This apparant awareness of each ethnicity and a boasting of corporations to use ethics in consumer targeting strategies is bunk and anything they can assume about you can and will be used to roll over on any community that provides them a target market. And they probably will never give it up.

There aren't many white people with these last names in this area because most white people are more recent immigrants of european ethnicity, so if you do meet someone with an anglo name they might have a visa/green card and be an import from the UK.
    But for any white person with an anglo name here you get downpoured with piles and piles of solicitation from the 'port fairy,

and you get 3x's the advertisements in general too.
    It blows my mind to think no matter what people say or believe, no one will ever be able to stop this mail! It's a conspiracy that's taken on a life of its own.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Most Jewish people in America[/b] have white skin

I know that there are Jewish people without white skin (Argentina, Ethiopia, and India but I'm hard-pressed to conjure up any other notable non Euro-American Jewish populations) but I'm pretty sure that most Jewish people have white skin. Am I overlooking something?

Most Jewish people in America[/b] have white skin

I know that there are Jewish people without white skin (Argentina, Ethiopia, and India but I'm hard-pressed to conjure up any other notable non Euro-American Jewish populations) but I'm pretty sure that most Jewish people have white skin. Am I overlooking something?

China

b/w

:5pager:

China

b/w

:5pager:

Chew is a common Chinese surname...it is not short for Chinese Jew.

• White man w/ "black" surname here. Quite common in the UK, but I realized early on that most people I met w/ my last name were brothers.

Always felt best not to talk about how this situation may have occurred.

China

Chew is a common Chinese surname...it is not short for Chinese Jew.

Ray Chew & The Crew - Apollo Theatre House Band..

• My chinese friend's last name is...

Jew.

(we speculate that had something to do with an overzealous Ellis Island speller changing it from Joo, but still...pretty funny.)

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Perhaps Eastern Europe? I have no clue of the numbers myself either, but I know plenty non orthodox non service going jews from that area who have a very dark complexion.

But Novaks however is Ukranian, I suppose jewish-ukranian and there are plenty of ash knazi (no clue of sp) there who have a darker complexion. I have a safartic(also no clue of sp) friend who everyone mistakes for hispanic. But he's real big and more resembles Michael Strahan of the NY Giants than anybody else, lol.

Religious denomination aside, a lot of people in that whole region are of Iranian, Serbian, and historical Persian descent and have dark arabesque features. There is also the whole cigany population there too who's history is sorta off the books, but its probably from those regions as well. Not that any of these people are black, but they don't consider themselves essentially white at all, I don't think you can assume everyone is either one or the other and I don't think thats what the survey is trying to convey, it's more like you could only guess what that small percentage is cause all somebodys gotta do is make a baby!

• My last name is Arballo (are vie yo). It's Spanish/Mexican but not sure where it comes from. Not very common.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I suppose jewish-ukranian and there are plenty of ash knazi (no clue of sp) there who have a darker complexion. I have a safartic(also no clue of sp) friend who everyone mistakes for hispanic. But he's real big and more resembles Michael Strahan of the NY Giants than anybody else, lol.

I don't see Jewish people with white skin, and white people as the same thing, but that's my take on it. I would just assume that Eastern european Jews (that's my lineage) are lumped in with white skin people, not otherwise. Saffardim are both Hispanic and Jewish. They're basically the remnants of the Spanish inquisition.