S.erato Public Beta 1.8 (facemelt related)

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody installed this yet? It looks Scratch LIVE 1.8.0 Public Beta 1 (18031)Welcome to the first 1.8.0 public beta. Please read the release notes carefully before downloading.New Features:MIDI InputScratch LIVE now supports MIDI input, so that you can control the software with a 3rd party MIDI device.Off-line playerYou can now play tracks without hardware connected. Set up crates, cue points, make loops etc from the comfort of your lounge chair.Auto-loopingCreate loops of preset length on the fly.New Relative mode optionsNew needle dropping in Relative mode and needle drop to cue points options.AAC supportAAC files are now supported in Scratch LIVE.New TTM 57SL effectsHP Echo and HP Hold Echo (Bass cut versions of the existing effects), phaser, flanger and a bit crusher.Relocate lost filesMove stuff around on your drive, without stuffing up your library.AutobackupOnce a week your Scratch LIVE folder is automatically backed up.Tabbed setup screenA redesign of the setup screen with options under separate tabs.

Comments

• But does it cook my popcorn right?

Sounds promising. I can't wait to try it out.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Off-line player
    You can now play tracks without hardware connected. Set up crates, cue points, make loops etc from the comfort of your lounge chair.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Off-line player
    You can now play tracks without hardware connected. Set up crates, cue points, make loops etc from the comfort of your lounge chair.

That is so awesome.

• -

• man, my hard drive is full... I may delete some music so I can try out the beta.

• the MIDI is super

• Off-line player

That is so awesome.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    its Frickin' dope... installed it yesterday, being able to do cuepoints on a plane is so Frickin' essential!! and the relocate lost tracks function is cool too...they just need to put an export playlist to folder function!

epace.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    they just need to put an export playlist to folder function!
    was this not asked for enough? damn.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    This is the release I've been waiting for...

time to upgrade the laptop.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    id like to install this, but if there are any bugs, am i able to revert back to the previous version?

i used s.erato at a gig this weekend for the time. a lil different but it was straight

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    id like to install this, but if there are any bugs, am i able to revert back to the previous version?

i used s.erato at a gig this weekend for the time. a lil different but it was straight

I would wait if I were you til the next update, but you can keep your current version if you want to try it out.

Running more than one version of Scratch LIVE:
    Installing this version will by default overwrite any previous version you had installed, however it is easy to have more than one version of Scratch LIVE installed if you wish.

If you have an important gig coming up, you might like to stick with the version you know until you are comfortable with 1.8.0.
    Here's how to do it:

PC Users - before installing, find the ScratchLIVE executable (by default it is in C:Program filesMicrowaveScratchLIVE, and rename it - for example call it ScratchLIVE1.7.4.exe. When you install the new version, the old executable will not be deleted, and you can choose which you want to run by going into that folder and double clicking on the executable. You can still do this if you have already installed the 1.8.0 beta - just rename the executable to ScratchLIVE1.8.0.exe, and then reinstall the version you were previously running.

Mac users - before installing, rename the existing application file as above (like "Scratch LIVE 1.7.4") - you have to be admin to rename it. (If you aren't admin, you can copy it to another location, and then rename it.)

Backing up your data:
    Before you make any changes to your Scratch LIVE setup, including installing a new version, as a general rule we highly recommend that you backup your data including your music. Especially with a BETA VERSION. The easiest way to backup your data is to simply copy your Scratch LIVE folder to another location on the drive.
    - For the drive that contains "My documents", just copy the ScratchLIVE folder which is in My DocmumentsMy music to another location onto this drive.
    - To back up database and crates of an external drive, copy the hidden .ScratchLIVE folder (which is in the root of the drive) to another location on this drive

I still haven't installed it yet. I read some shit on the Scratch Live boards that had me kinda shook
    but I'm sure they'll figure it out. This is still the first beta.

• i have installed and played with it. auto loop and MIDI are crazy! also the needle drop on cue points is nutty. YOOOOOO!

• OK so I never thought about getting a Midi controller before this and know nothing about them, what might be some options to consider for Se--to use only?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can someone explain how the auto-looping function works? Both in terms of 1) how to do it and 2) what the purpose of it is? THanks!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I used the autolooping when it was a secret feature in the old version, havent upgraded yet so I'm not sure how its done. But I think the idea is you can tell it how many beats to loop (say 4 or 8, triggered at the beginning of a bar) and it will just loop back those 1 or 2 bars perfectly. It's nice for doing longer mixes on the fly, no need for instrumental, just loop the intro.

Just be careful, cause I accidentally clicked '1 beat' once, and it sounded like a techno kick roll as it just looped the one, I thought shit was crashing.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Off-line player

Yeah that's a major necessity. I don't have s.erato, but I am frustrated at not being able to edit tracks offline in Pro Tools.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

I would wait if I were you til the next update, but you can keep your current version if you want to try it out.

Running more than one version of Scratch LIVE:
    Installing this version will by default overwrite any previous version you had installed, however it is easy to have more than one version of Scratch LIVE installed if you wish.

If you have an important gig coming up, you might like to stick with the version you know until you are comfortable with 1.8.0.
    Here's how to do it:

PC Users - before installing, find the ScratchLIVE executable (by default it is in C:Program filesMicrowaveScratchLIVE, and rename it - for example call it ScratchLIVE1.7.4.exe. When you install the new version, the old executable will not be deleted, and you can choose which you want to run by going into that folder and double clicking on the executable. You can still do this if you have already installed the 1.8.0 beta - just rename the executable to ScratchLIVE1.8.0.exe, and then reinstall the version you were previously running.

Mac users - before installing, rename the existing application file as above (like "Scratch LIVE 1.7.4") - you have to be admin to rename it. (If you aren't admin, you can copy it to another location, and then rename it.)

Backing up your data:
    Before you make any changes to your Scratch LIVE setup, including installing a new version, as a general rule we highly recommend that you backup your data including your music. Especially with a BETA VERSION. The easiest way to backup your data is to simply copy your Scratch LIVE folder to another location on the drive.
    - For the drive that contains "My documents", just copy the ScratchLIVE folder which is in My DocmumentsMy music to another location onto this drive.
    - To back up database and crates of an external drive, copy the hidden .ScratchLIVE folder (which is in the root of the drive) to another location on this drive

I still haven't installed it yet. I read some shit on the Scratch Live boards that had me kinda shook
    but I'm sure they'll figure it out. This is still the first beta.

thanks for the info

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    Off-line player

Yeah that's a major necessity. I don't have s.erato, but I am frustrated at not being able to edit tracks offline in Pro Tools.

they have a solution to that now...well, a $250 solution, protools micro.

in anycase, im a big fan of the new version! midi triggering cue points was a dream come true!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I can't find the download on the dildo site.. where is it?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    nevermind

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Has the Auto-loop function improved since the first version (easter egg)?

• I think the autoloop is still based on the tagged bpm count. So it can and most likely will be occasionally fucked up with longer loops especially.

how do i activate the loop in Microwave.. plaese to school me...

b

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    how do i activate the loop in Microwave.. plaese to school me...

b

I think to auto loop on the left side hold down alt + numbers 1-5 (#1 = 1 beat, #2 = 2 beats, #4 = 1 bar, etc). On the right hand side it's 6-0.

To loop manually (again the left side) hit "O" to start the loop point and "P" to end it. "[" turns it on or off.
    For the right side it's "L" to start and ";" to stop and the "'" key turns it on or off.
    I've got those shortcuts memorized for real.

• Does anyone know if you can actually record mixes inside the damn program now? I'm think I'm gonna wait a little bit to upgrade otherwise.

• I don't even own a cd player

vinyl is final

I don't even own a cd player

vinyl is final

As far as I stand. DJing and travelling hauling records, or buying records that I'll only play in a club, is over. I will never turn back. Macbook and backpack with gear, that's where it is... sheeeit, on short gig trips I don't even need to check luggage in anymore...

Microwave is essential Chris, if anything you should be selling the control records in your store. Get a crate of the OGs!

peace.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Does anyone know if you can actually record mixes inside the damn program now? I'm think I'm gonna wait a little bit to upgrade otherwise.

This will never happen.

Think about it a little and you'll see why.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Does anyone know if you can actually record mixes inside the damn program now? I'm think I'm gonna wait a little bit to upgrade otherwise.

This will never happen.

Think about it a little and you'll see why.

You can record mixes when it's hooked up to the 57.