R.I.P Stacks Vinyl

ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Dunno if anybody posted or if anybody even went to the place but it was really a nice place for local artists to showcase and for vinyl as well. Guess over the last year or so they couldn't make much profit. R.I.P Stacks, another record store gone.Last days were nice too, as I posted in the weekend finds found Royal Flush - Movin On Ya Weak Production and Nine - Cloud 9 for 10 cents each, Brainwash 2000 - Break It Down doubles for about $1.50 plus way too many others to list. Went out with a bang...at least for me.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thats Icy Ice's store ?

damn, bad news.

• Ya that's the one. It was pretty sad on Saturday. had a last in-store and giving things away.

• Hiphopsite.com just closed it's doors here a few months ago.

They went strictly to online/download (Frickin' microwaves). Not saying they had ALL the hot shit, but it was nice to have a real record store in your town.

Swooped up on the nice-nice racks, though. Them shits look good in the living room.

• Yeah, this has been happening for a minute. I gotta give a lot of love to C-Los, Abel and crew for showing a lot of support to my dudes over the past few years. I don't know if this is a bad thing or a good thing but I'm starting to get de-sensitized to record stores closing.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm starting to get de-sensitized to record stores closing.

ditto, for me its not a question of hoping they stay open but rather how much longer they are going to remain open.

Good thing I gave up on CD's

• Damn, you came up. I was going to go, but I didn't think there would be anything. Damn.

• being quite close to the source, i definitely felt the resonance of this store closing. im kind of over it now (yea, desensitized) and give in to seeing it as a mirror of society losing strength in artistic culture and giving in to neutered consumer/commodity comfort. thats neither here nor there though / dont wanna vent on it too much.

plus im literally still sore from demolishing and vacating the store in ontario (calif) earlier this week.

that said, i am looking forward to when this whole shit industry completely falls under and is rebuilt from ground zero.

peace to gabe real, c-los, mark luv, ice, breeze, what, & abel.

-kenbeats

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I have only been there once to participate in one of DJ Cire's online radio shows a few months ago, but the atmosphere was nice, the employees were friendly and it's always sad when any of those "from the ground up" stores go under

• So by demolishing and vacating do you mean getting records or LITERALLY.

Well ya it was pretty sad and the workers were coool, bought my first mixtape there.

Undertheradar...Friday or before that was the time to go definately. Saturday was kinda just pick up some new or used vinyl that wasnt in the $.10-$.50 bin but I still found some nice 10 cent pieces. I decided to go about a month ago by luck and thats how I found out it was going outta business. I hadn't visited in a few months.

• literally.

walls, partitions, sound isolation, flooring, display racks, bins, etc. etc

again, i worked closely with stacks & its personell. visually moreso w/ ontario.