DJ Stories

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
DId a free gig for a holoween party for mentaly disabled kids. It was a blast and they loved ever minute of it. They live in supervised homes and have to take special classes at school, so they really let loose at the chance to party like "normal people".So I say unto you......skip your raer disco boggie night and get out there and donate your talent and time to a better cause!!!!!!!!!!!One of the girls had her little brother (12 and no disability) there and he was hanging by me the whole time playing 100 questions about being a DJ. He kept asking for Soljah boy and 'money in the bank'. He specifically asked if I would play 'money in the bank' and let him grab the mic and say "yo,yo,yo here's your favorite song!". He also wanted to know what party I had just come from and what parties I was goinn to DJ the rest of the night. Yes, son it's just one big party for me. AHHHH kids!

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is super cool. I have always wanted to do the same thing, just never gone the distance in terms of looking up the places who service these folks. Kudos to you for donating your time and talents to them, they truly deserve our best efforts.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Volumen, you're golden.

We should be doing more of this type of stuff for the community.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I've done some community DJ workshops here and there. Did a DJ workshop for street kids for a Red Cross kitchen. Every single kid bar none was absolutely fucked off their head from inhaling spray paint. Why they thought it was a good idea to teach them to DJ was beyond me - it was all rental gear so I wasn't too concerned how much damage a chromed 12 year old trying to scratch would do. Also did some rural gigs, spend 3 days out in the middle of nowhere teaching kids to graff, break, mc and DJ, then let the council wonder why their town is suddenly covered in bad tags after we leave...

I recommend everyone do something like this at least once in their lives..

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Years ago, when I used to play Jungle/Drum & Bass, a bunch of deaf students met up in the club I was playing at. They loved feeling the basslines and got down on the dancefloor.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Find your local Devereux office. This is one of the nation's largest care providers for foster kids. Or contact a local social services agency.

• Years ago, when I used to play Jungle/Drum & Bass, a bunch of deaf students met up in the club I was playing at. They loved feeling the basslines and got down on the dancefloor.

for real? that's def!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, this is the second time for this company and it's always rewarding. I pretty much just play top 40 hits for the past 30 years and they love it. If you have microwave it's pretty easy to meet their requests and they love that. "In da club" was the floor filler!!!! I really wasn't supose to play anything with cuss words, but they kept asking so I just played it.

There are so many groups out there helping people it shouldn't be too hard to find one that can use you. Makes up for the bad wedding gig blues!!!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    then let the council wonder why their town is suddenly covered in bad tags after we leave...

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I've done some community DJ workshops here and there. Did a DJ workshop for street kids for a Red Cross kitchen. Every single kid bar none was absolutely fucked off their head from inhaling spray paint. Why they thought it was a good idea to teach them to DJ was beyond me - it was all rental gear so I wasn't too concerned how much damage a chromed 12 year old trying to scratch would do.

[sarcasm]So, uh, I guess teaching them how to graf was out of the picture? [/sarcasm]

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    That's really good man. More and more I find myself asking what good I can do, because there's so much bad around. I might have to give this a shot.

• I have a freind who's a nurse, and she hooked me up with doing an art/music class with developmentally disabled young adults about once a month. It's really fun, and a great way to get honest responses about work.

"it sounds like farting" (with a screwed up face to a squelchy bassline)

"mmmm it's good, but she should be wearing gumboots" (to a painting of a ballerina)

In high school I used to supervise a couple of Downes Syndrome guys (one of whom was a childhood friends older brother - how I got into it) making pizza boxes. They loved getting to work and getting paid, and (apart from occasional anger outbursts) were really cool guys.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Volumen, you're golden.

We should be doing more of this type of stuff for the community.

Absolutely.

I would love to do something like this. Not only is it good for the kids, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
    I tried to set up something for The Boys Club where I would show the basics of DJing and beatmaking, but it fell through. I went there for years when I was a yoot (latchkey kids holler) and I would have been geeking seeing someone do even the most basic shit. I should give the recreations dude a call.

If anyone has any ideas about volunteering and how to go about it, plaese to post here

• dayday 9,612 Posts

"mmmm it's good, but she should be wearing gumboots" (to a painting of a ballerina)

awesome

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

"it sounds like farting" (with a screwed up face to a squelchy bassline)

Sa-Ra, right?

All jokes aside, this is awesome. You get props over here.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Anyone in NYC willing to hold down some pro bono gigs like this, please holler at me. I'm asking my friends who work in social services if they need any music for an event or two.