gene chandler recomendations?

derdowskiderdowski 8 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
wondering if anyone had some gene chandler recomendations from later in his career. just found "does she have a friend", feeling it. any other of his disco joints i should be up on?

Comments

• Get to know this.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I really like the "In My Body's House" 45 on Checker/Chess (which is a version of Hard Times).

• I really like the "In My Body's House" 45 on Checker/Chess (which is a version of Hard Times).

Same here.

The Chandler version is harder and faster but, the Baby version has the dope strings in it.

I think Curtis Mayfield wrote that song - anyone?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think when Derdowski asked for stuff late in Gene's career, he meant his modern-soul-era things from the late seventies and early eighties (judging by the one example given, "Does She Have A Friend?").

That said...

I really like the "In My Body's House" 45 on Checker/Chess (which is a version of Hard Times).

Same here.

The Chandler version is harder and faster but, the Baby version has the dope strings in it.

I think Curtis Mayfield wrote that song - anyone?

Curtis did write that song.

I like Baby Huey's "Hard Times" version better because it's NOT hard & fast. The Babysitters get a groove going and dig deep in it. Chandler, to me, just rushes through the song as if he were double-parked outside the studio or had to go to the john or something.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I like Baby Huey's version better for listening, but Chandler's version kills it for DJing.

• I think when Derdowski asked for stuff late in Gene's career, he meant his modern-soul-era things from the late seventies and early eighties (judging by the one example given, "Does She Have A Friend?").

My bad, your totally right.

Perhaps I should have read his complete question.

Eh.

• I like Baby Huey's version better for listening, but Chandler's version kills it for DJing.

Nicely put.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Had this, threw it out,

• Had this, threw it out,
    Getouttatown!
    [/color]"HeeeyyyyyyyyYYYYYa Lookin' real good in ya halter top!" [color:orange]

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    ive been looking for a copy of this for a minute now. i keep getting sniped on the bay

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ive been looking for a copy of this for a minute now. i keep getting sniped on the bay

...And it just got tougher.

Only a VG, too.

• "Make The Living If You Make The Loving Worthwhile" on Chisound is a good early 80s 12" IMO.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts

Had this, threw it out,
    Getouttatown!

I love love LOVE this record.

• The Gene Chandler Situation LP on Mercury definitely has some great crossover tracks and its easy to find.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Had this, threw it out,
    Getouttatown!

I love love LOVE this record.
    I should probably add that I don't do disco or modern that much & am a believer in taking shit out of circulation, so yeah, sorry to say it went to the curb & probably got sent to rot on a landfill somewhere....... Wasn't really what I was after in my hunt for Gene Chandler records because his early Checker/Brunswick/Constellation stuff is my style. Even his Mercury stuff gets left these days, too inconsistent.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    C'mon, what's not to like?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    no one said 'when you're #1' yet??

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have to agree with Holmes when he says:

I don't do disco or modern that much

I remember when Chandler's "Get Down" was a comeback hit in the late seventies, and even as a middle-schooler, this line used to make me cringe:

"HeeeyyyyyyyyYYYYYa Lookin' real good in ya halter top!"

When old soul or blues singers rode the disco/modern bandwagon, they'd always throw in some embarrassing line that was supposed to be "up to date" or some such foolishness, like the reference to a Gucci bag on Bobby Bland's "Get Real Clean." If that's the best they could do, I'd rather hear Tommy Tucker tell his lady to wear her red dress with her "Hi-Heel Sneakers." At least Tommy sounded like he half-knew what he was talking about.

If some of y'all like this period of Gene's music, knock yourself out. Not my thing, but there is at least ONE classic from this era on the Chi-Sound label that I'll ride for: "Rainbow '80," a straight-ahead update of "Rainbow"/"Rainbow '65." No disco, no modern, just a soul ballad with Gene stretching out like he hadn't done since Live On Stage In '65. And a walking bass that sounds like it's testifying along with him. Apart from that...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Good album here: