2 Million for a beat.

pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.3351Nas pays 2 mil for beat?Monday - June 27, 2005Verbal WalkerNas has reportedly been in the lab working on his new album reportedly titled Nasdaq Dow Jones and is currently searching for production for what many say is one of his most important albums. While creating this album, Nas came across a beat so fantastic to him that he reportedly paid 2 million dollars for the track. And just who produced this track? The Neptunes.It has been rumored that Nas had to ward off the deep pockets of Sean "P Diddy" Combs in a heated bidding war. Can the beat really be that good? Well word is that Busta Rhymes has been quoted stating..."Ah shit, thats the craziest beat, I ever heard! Those drums man, Those drums are fire! If Nas is gonna rap to this beat, its going to be over. This will be the biggest hit in the history of hiphop!"While that can be a bit of an overstatement, one has to wonder what this rumored beat sounds like. In the meanwhile, Nas is gearing up for a handful of club performances beginning July 14th in Chicago.2 MILLION for a BEAT?!?!?!

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I heard a rumor that Ciara was a hermaphrodite

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Would you guys please quit posting this?

Pause to think about it for a moment--it's plainly false.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ell word is that Busta Rhymes has been quoted stating...

"Ah shit, thats the craziest beat, I ever heard! Those drums man, Those drums are fire! If Nas is gonna rap to this beat, its going to be over. This will be the biggest hit in the history of hiphop!"

Right, and that will be his exact verse when he drops it in Jesse McCartney's song in two weeks.

• Options
    reportedly titled Nasdaq Dow Jones

Dumb.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    reportedly titled Nasdaq Dow Jones

Dumb.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I heard a rumor that Ciara was a hermaphrodite

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Would you guys please quit posting this?

Pasue to think about it for a moment--it's plainly false.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have the MP3 if anyone wants to hear it.

Sike!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Nasdaq Dow Jones

Worst album title EVAR!

Surprised he has $2MIL after his last piece of crap album. Too bad considering how awesome half of God's Son was.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Reading this article hurts my head:

Nas pays 2 mil for beat?
    Monday - June 27, 2005
    Verbal Walker

Nas has reportedly[/b] been in the lab working on his new album reportedly[/b] titled Nasdaq Dow Jones and is currently searching for production for what many say is one of his most important albums. While creating this album, Nas came across a beat so fantastic to him that he reportedly[/b] paid 2 million dollars for the track. And just who produced this track? The Neptunes.

I think "Verbal Walker" needs to check out Expand Your Vocabulary in 30 Days next time he's at the library.

It has been rumored that Nas had to ward off the deep pockets of Sean "P Diddy" Combs in a heated bidding war. Can the beat really be that good? Well word is that Busta Rhymes has been quoted stating...[/b]

So the following isn't an actual Busta quote, but "word is" that he said it. What a scoop! Note to V. Walker: check if local library has How to Become a Journalist in addition to that vocabulary book you're reportedly[/b] looking for.

"Ah shit, thats the craziest beat, I ever heard! Those drums man, Those drums are fire! If Nas is gonna rap to this beat, its going to be over. This will be the biggest hit in the history of hiphop!"[/b]
    I don't even have the energy for that one.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Reading this article hurts my head:

Nas pays 2 mil for beat?
    Monday - June 27, 2005
    Verbal Walker

Nas has reportedly[/b] been in the lab working on his new album reportedly[/b] titled Nasdaq Dow Jones and is currently searching for production for what many say is one of his most important albums. While creating this album, Nas came across a beat so fantastic to him that he reportedly[/b] paid 2 million dollars for the track. And just who produced this track? The Neptunes.

I think "Verbal Walker" needs to check out Expand Your Vocabulary in 30 Days next time he's at the library.

It has been rumored that Nas had to ward off the deep pockets of Sean "P Diddy" Combs in a heated bidding war. Can the beat really be that good? Well word is that Busta Rhymes has been quoted stating...[/b]

So the following isn't an actual Busta quote, but "word is" that he said it. What a scoop! Note to V. Walker: check if local library has How to Become a Journalist in addition to that vocabulary book you're reportedly[/b] looking for.

"Ah shit, thats the craziest beat, I ever heard! Those drums man, Those drums are fire! If Nas is gonna rap to this beat, its going to be over. This will be the biggest hit in the history of hiphop!"[/b]

I don't even have the energy for that one.

BREAKDOWN!!!!!!!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Nasdaq Dow Jones

Worst album title EVAR!

Surprised he has $2MIL after his last piece of crap album. Too bad considering how awesome half of God's Son was.

Can't beleive no one's feeling this album title. That shit is federal.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.3351

Nas pays 2 mil for beat?
    Monday - June 27, 2005
    Verbal Walker

Nas has reportedly been in the lab working on his new album reportedly titled Nasdaq Dow Jones and is currently searching for production for what many say is one of his most important albums. While creating this album, Nas came across a beat so fantastic to him that he reportedly paid 2 million dollars for the track. And just who produced this track? The Neptunes.

It has been rumored that Nas had to ward off the deep pockets of Sean "P Diddy" Combs in a heated bidding war. Can the beat really be that good? Well word is that Busta Rhymes has been quoted stating...

"Ah shit, thats the craziest beat, I ever heard! Those drums man, Those drums are fire! If Nas is gonna rap to this beat, its going to be over. This will be the biggest hit in the history of hiphop!"

While that can be a bit of an overstatement, one has to wonder what this rumored beat sounds like. In the meanwhile, Nas is gearing up for a handful of club performances beginning July 14th in Chicago.

2 MILLION for a BEAT?!?!?!

So what happens when 50 steals the beat cd and drops a song and white label on the beat before NAS drops? lol I didn't read the whole thread so if this is fake shame on me...but if it's true they better keep that shit under lock and key. lol

• two million is one big ass skateboard beat

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

He should have just asked those Gringo Starr guys to make him a beat.

Their remix of made you look is fyah.

h

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Is $2 million really outrageous for a beat? How much do you think Scott Storch got for Lean Back (not sure at all on the airplay of this song relative to others I just remember it being on constantly and not really feeling it which come to think of it may have contributed to my thinking it was getting more play than it was)?

If he had a good lawyer Storch must have worked out royalties, etc. and maybe this $2 million Neptunes figure is just a lump sum and in the long run may not turn out to have been the most expensive beat or anything.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Hi,

He should have just asked those Gringo Starr guys to make him a beat.

Their remix of made you look is fyah.

h

I bought it, I think it's cool, but it's really just some Jimi Entley loops so... I dunno. I like it though.

Is $2 million really outrageous for a beat?

I'm not in a position to really know. I have heard numbers between $30,000 and $80,000 for a beat from an established producer for an established mc. With songwriting and publishing, if you are lucky and it's a hit, you might get a lot more in royalties.

I'm not sure what budgets are for making an album, but I think they are well under 2 million.

Dan

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I'm not in a position to really know. I have heard numbers between $30,000 and $80,000 for a beat from an established producer for an established mc. With songwriting and publishing, if you are lucky and it's a hit, you might get a lot more in royalties.

I'm not sure what budgets are for making an album, but I think they are well under 2 million.

Dan

jazzy pha talks about gettin $50K, that sounds about right...

(rampant speculation begins here)
    in terms of royalties and publishing etc, neptunes and lil jon probably (reportedly?) pull a couple mil off every big hit when all is said and done.

if they had no faith in the artist, neptunes might ask for that 2 mil upfront with no royalties; they'd get their cash and if the record flops it's nothin to them. meanwhile a label might be willing to drop that kind of paper if they're trying to break an artist.

I mean, nas aint really a big money artist these days. if he's competing with puffy, he might offer that 2 mil upfront so it's no risk for the neptunes.

but you gotta be real stupid to drop two million plus royalties for a beat.

• iconicon 86 Posts
    Nasdaq Dow Jones

Worst album title EVAR!

Can't beleive no one's feeling this album title. That shit is federal.

About as hot as a proposed rock band name I heard about a couple weeks back:

Dao Jonestown Massacre

• jazzy pha talks about gettin $50K, that sounds about right...

what a fucking waste of money

Dan

jazzy pha talks about gettin $50K, that sounds about right...

(rampant speculation begins here)
    in terms of royalties and publishing etc, neptunes and lil jon probably (reportedly?) pull a couple mil off every big hit when all is said and done.

if they had no faith in the artist, neptunes might ask for that 2 mil upfront with no royalties; they'd get their cash and if the record flops it's nothin to them. meanwhile a label might be willing to drop that kind of paper if they're trying to break an artist.

I mean, nas aint really a big money artist these days. if he's competing with puffy, he might offer that 2 mil upfront so it's no risk for the neptunes.

but you gotta be real stupid to drop two million plus royalties for a beat.

I agree that 2mil would buy you full writer/publisher royalties.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the most recent White Stripes album was made for under $10,000

and I'll bet you it'll make more than the next Nas Single

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    the most i've got is 9k for a track. i've hanged out with dj lethal a few times and he says he makes between 40-60k for a track if its for a big artist. so it's all over the place. stein. . .

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    IndI little dood like myself: remix? $1500. Straight up beat, no royalty stream... $5000.
    I don't see it as an impossible figure, but maybe would depend on the terms of endearment.
    Crazy Cash man. I would eat anyones ass for that kinda money.

Ha.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I would eat anyones ass for that kinda money.

[Quote = Young Phonics:]Check your PMs.[/Young Phonics]