HDTV Recommendations? (NRR)

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I know there've been threads on this but I couldn't find any searching on here or on google. I'm in the market for around a 32" LCD HDTV and I wondered if anybody here knew any particularly good deals. I know LG and Sharp are two of the top manufacturers of these TV's, and they do cost a little more. I won't spend over a G and would like to keep it around $750 if possible. Anybody got any tips? Any good experiences with these TV's? Any bad? Thanks.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Give Samsung some consideration during your search. I love my slim-fit CRT HDTV, which I like better in terms of picture than an LCD (looks too much like a computer screen for my taste). Here's a 32" for under $800: Samsung LNS3251D 32" LCD HDTV

• Man, that's a good deal. Might look at one of those for the Master BR.

Drewn, you frickin' w/ DirecTV? I got my new MPeg5 jammie coming on Thursday, gonna catch all the new HD channels they've launched.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Drewn, you frickin' w/ DirecTV? I got my new MPeg5 jammie coming on Thursday, gonna catch all the new HD channels they've launched.

My building is only Dish Network-enabled, which I've been pretty satisfied with, but I have heard that DirecTV has a better HD channel line-up. The part that sucks the most about Dish is that Comcast owns the Sixers and Phillies, so even with League Pass they block out of the games, even all of the away jawns!

• I heard Dish had the best HD lineup, maybe that changed recently? Anyway, I can't afford all those channells anyway, I'll be getting a pretty basic package and adding on HBO (for The Wire) and the Sports Package. It still looks like a pretty good deal though. Free HD DVR and $20 off my bill for 6 months.

I will check out that Samsung TV, looks liek a good deal. Thanks Drewn!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Before buying anything, go read up on HDTV's or find info on specific models at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

You'll find a ton of user reviews that will save you the hassle of buying a TV only to find out it has a bunch of problems.

• Thanks. That CEDIA Expo rolls through Denver once a year, shit is ridiculously packed and out of hand when it happens. They do it across the street from my job. I'll check their forum for some user reviews, thanks!!

• Options
    I know there've been threads on this but I couldn't find any searching on here or on google. I'm in the market for around a 32" LCD HDTV and I wondered if anybody here knew any particularly good deals. I know LG and Sharp are two of the top manufacturers of these TV's, and they do cost a little more. I won't spend over a G and would like to keep it around $750 if possible. Anybody got any tips? Any good experiences with these TV's? Any bad? Thanks.

I have the 32" Sharp Aquos LCD, the 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma, and the 26" Toshiba LCD. All of them are hooked up to HD service over Verizon's FIOS.

LCD's have a nice sharp colorful picture but most people who are really into high-end and home theater and all that bullshit will tell you that a plasma is the way to go, then give you some schpiel about how "deep the blacks are". I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference so I bought both types to see which was better.

The plasma is insane and not to be trifled with. The LCD is cool and I give it the mercywatch sometimes. But it knows it's the redheaded stepchild compared to the big boy.

My sister's got the Samsung 50" LCD, it's nice too.

Make sure you get something with 1080p, it has something to do with the amount of pixels per something. But you want that, it'll make a difference when they convert all the signals (I realize now that I don't know where in the world you live, so that might not apply).

Get the Aquos, it's good for what you're looking for. If not, get the Samsung. There are some cheap joints like Olevia that people have and are perfectly happy with, a lot of these tv's are made in the same factories anyway and just have different names on them.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Give Samsung some consideration during your search. I love my slim-fit CRT HDTV, which I like better in terms of picture than an LCD (looks too much like a computer screen for my taste). Here's a 32" for under $800[/b]: Samsung LNS3251D 32" LCD HDTV

I need really want a new TV. I'm still
    rocking a 15" TV/VCR combo. I could
    mess with a 32 inch flat screen for under 800, easily.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    How about this one from Costco??

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV
    Tuner: NTSC/ATSC/QAM
    Resolution: 1366 x 768
    Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
    Brightness: 500 cd/m2

$759.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...y=1&topnav=&s=1

I'm rocking the Vizio vx20l as I type. I have a tv remote that I can switch to the TV with, got it hooked up to a $5 switch and a $5 antenna and I can switch between my DVD player, My computer, Cable TV, and Local HDTV channels.

Best $350 I've spent easily.

Plus the warranty is butter. I have a Westinghouse 20" from Christmas 04' that I still can't afford to fix.

I love me some sharp lcd's too. Hope this helps!

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I have the 32" Sharp Aquos LCD, the 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma, and the 26" Toshiba LCD. All of them are hooked up to HD service over Verizon's FIOS.

LCD's have a nice sharp colorful picture but most people who are really into high-end and home theater and all that bullshit will tell you that a plasma is the way to go, then give you some schpiel about how "deep the blacks are". I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference so I bought both types to see which was better.

The plasma is insane and not to be trifled with. The LCD is cool and I give it the mercywatch sometimes. But it knows it's the redheaded stepchild compared to the big boy.

My sister's got the Samsung 50" LCD, it's nice too.

Make sure you get something with 1080p, it has something to do with the amount of pixels per something. But you want that, it'll make a difference when they convert all the signals (I realize now that I don't know where in the world you live, so that might not apply).

Get the Aquos, it's good for what you're looking for. If not, get the Samsung. There are some cheap joints like Olevia that people have and are perfectly happy with, a lot of these tv's are made in the same factories anyway and just have different names on them.

Honestly Plasma doesn't do it for me. I have a friend that calibrates these for a living, and they're really not that far off from LCD. Deep blacks my ass. 1080p is expensive, and not really imo proving its worth. Audiophylactic-status.

- spidey

• Drewn, you frickin' w/ DirecTV? I got my new MPeg5 jammie coming on Thursday, gonna catch all the new HD channels they've launched.

My building is only Dish Network-enabled, which I've been pretty satisfied with, but I have heard that DirecTV has a better HD channel line-up. The part that sucks the most about Dish is that Comcast owns the Sixers and Phillies, so even with League Pass they block out of the games, even all of the away jawns!

Man, that's some BS about the games.

I actually thought Dish had the better HD lineup but we'll see after DTv gets the rest of their shit launched.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    my wife and i got the phillips ambilight 42" flat screen, and we love it. the picture is great ( and the addition of 40+ HD channels this past year) and we're definitely satisfied.

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually found some Samsung models similar to the one above at 720p (good enough for me) that are about $750. I think I may go to CC or BB and have a look in person. I think I'll check out the Vizio too, since the screens are produced by Samsung. Maybe I can even get a 37" for the price of a Samsung 32". Thanks!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm wondering if anybody can give me a little advice on this...

I spent saturday evening at PC Richards looking at new televisions figuring i would make my decision based on the size, picture quality and design of tv itself, but i soon realized things are MUCH more complicated. I guess some of these new TVs have wifi built in so you can stream video directly?? this would be amazing and would save a lot of space and time trying to rig up a laptop. are there any brands that people recommend for this? I really only watch dvds and netflix, so i wouldnt need it for much else.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good bump. I was checkin flats recently as well.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    sony just released this:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644751998&XID=O:internet TV:corp_sitv10_gglsrch:inttvph_inttv_ad5#googleTVSet

and all these are apparently ready to go as well:
    http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

my head is swimming. too many options. can someone help me narrow it down?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I went through this back in the spring when I was on the market and it IS absolutely overwhelming.

What helps is to start with the two "easiest" basics: what size screen and what's your budget. Hold firm to both and that will help filter things down considerably.

For me, that meant a 42" screen under a $1K. 47" was tempting but my options of making my price point were too limited. Likewise, I could have gone down to 37" and that could have saved a couple hundred (or not) but I was willing to trade up to a bigger screen so long as I stayed under budget.

I ended up with this for under $1K (including tax and shipping): http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SV422XVT-42-Inch-Class-Internet/dp/B0036DDHSU

It's a 42" Vizio LCD w/ internet integration.

Re: the latter, most of the apps you can get are really a waste of time but Netflix is the fucking truth. The streaming service is astounding from my iphone up to my TV.

Vizio isn't as well-regarded as Sony or Samsung - it targets the more budget consumer and you tend to find them in big box stores more than, say, Best Buy. But Vizio got decent marks from owners and so far, I've been extremely pleased with the choice. Had I had, say, a $1500 budget, I might have gone with a Samsung instead or a thinner LED/LCD hybrid but for less than a grand, I thought I did ok.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    anyone have one of these?
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/

• do not sell yourself short on getting anything under 42"...... it's the base size for experiencing a true HD @1080p.

totally worth the extra $200 or whatever at the time of sale. trussmeh.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think TV size matters more based on placement. A 42 was perfect for the size of the room and viewing distance but something above 50" would have overwhelming, resolution be damned.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I pretty much dont watch regular TV anymore.

DVDs /NBA league Pass and mostly PS3 gaming.

I really want something that is "pro-videogame" if there really is an option.

My boy is playing Madden on some 50+ screen. I dont need to go that big.

I dont need to watch the News on a big ass television.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    recommendations in the 500 and then 1000 range?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    I got a 37" Samsung LED thing about a year ago, it was under $500. LEDs are way better than LCDs at this point - they look better, they're lighter and use less electricity I think, and they come in larger sizes.

I stayed away from the internet-ready "smart tv" business, I have a PS3 that I use for Netflix and things like that, and it's also an excellent blu-ray player. Plus you can play video games on it.

Don't bother with 1080p unless you're buying something over 42", otherwise you won't notice the difference - and it only counts for stuff that's at 1080p, meaning only some blu-ray dvds and some HD programs on TV. And I wouldn't go over 42" unless you have the space for it and are going to sit several feet away. I find my eyes get tired very quickly if I'm sitting too close to one of those big-ass screens.

• for my money nothing beats the sharp quattron. i have the 60" and run Fiber op cable and a ps3 for blu-ray and upconverting dvd's. i haven't seen anything on a household level perform as well as this.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I just did a lot of research and finally bought a Samsung un46es6003 and couldn't be happier. $697 for a 46" LED that's super slim and has a minimal bezel. Picture quality is fantastic. Looks great hung on the wall. No smart features that are slow and soon to be outdated, just a great screen. I bought a new Apple Tv on craigslist for $65 to take care of all the apps and netfilx. So happy with my purchases in hindsight. Prior to this I had a Sharp Aquos 37" LCD that lasted me quite well for 5-6 years.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    for my money nothing beats the sharp quattron. i have the 60" and run Fiber op cable and a ps3 for blu-ray and upconverting dvd's. i haven't seen anything on a household level perform as well as this.
    50" or smaller, ny-apt-related