$1 million speaker cable challenge

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/calling-bulls...tter-305549.phpOur rant about those $7,250 Pear Anjou speaker cables found its way to the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF), and Randi offered $1 million to anyone who can prove those cables are any better than ordinary (and also overpriced) Monster Cables. Pointing out the absurd review by audiophile Dave Clark, who called the cables "danceable," Randi called it "hilarious and preposterous." He added that if the cables could do what their makers claimed, "they would be paranormal." We see that the Pear Cable company is advertising a pair of 12-foot "Anjou" audio cables for $7,250; that's $302 a foot! And, as expected, "experts" were approached for their opinions on the performance of these wonders ... Well, we at the JREF are willing to be shown that these "no-compromise" cables perform better than, say, the equivalent Monster cables. While Pear rattles on about "capacitance," "inductance," "skin effect," "mechanical integrity" and "radio frequency interface," - all real qualities and concerns, and adored by the hi-fi nut-cases - we naively believe that a product should be judged by its actual performance, not by qualities that can only be perceived by attentive dogs or by hi-tech instrumentation. That said, we offer the JREF million-dollar prize to - for example - Dave Clark, Editor of the audio review publication Positive Feedback Online. This is not Randi's first clash with audiophile reviewers who claim to hear differences in various exotic equipment. He promises a million dollars (which he has waiting in an account for them) if any could prove in double-blind scientific testing that their extraordinary claims are true. None have stepped up so far.

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    $7,250 Pear Anjou speaker cables

GTFOHWTB

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Ha! I just found the review as well. What a retard.

"In extended listening sessions, I found the cables' greatest strength to be its PRAT. Simply put these are very danceable cables. Music playing through them results in the proverbial foot-tapping scene with the need or desire to get up and move. Great swing and pace???these cables smack that right on the nose big time."

- Dave Clark, Editor Positive Feedback Online

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Pepsi Challenge them shits

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    The thing I don't get about audiophiles is they spend bank on their gear, and then listen to (mostly) shit music on it. I'd love to know someone stupid enough to spend that much money on cables... I'd sell them a bridge.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    The thing I don't get about audiophiles is they spend bank on their gear, and then listen to (mostly) shit music on it. I'd love to know someone stupid enough to spend that much money on cables... I'd sell them a bridge.

mfsl dark side of the moon and alan parsons for days baby