oldschool dj footage, post 'em

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
not my video. dj skribble at some club in LI - 1993.....check out the gear!!!

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Can we please bring back spiked leather gloves to DJing fuckers? Has anyone seen this doc "Breakin and Enterin"? Shit looks madd meltish.

This site is rocking my world right now...

http://www.westcoastpioneers.com/

The video section.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    BTW Darryl Davis is the fuckin' DUDE, best cover art EVAAAR.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us/></a><br/><br /><br /><a href=http://www.westcoastpioneers.com/artists/lyrrad.htmlhttp://www.westcoastpioneers.com/artists/lyrrad.html

• hahaha "Rap??????????????????????????????by??????????????????????????????DJ??????????????????????????????Clientele"

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    hahaha "Rap??????????????????????????????by??????????????????????????????DJ??????????????????????????????Clientele"

Mike, you need to bite this guys style a little, shit is FREESSSSSSHHHHHHH.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Can't fuck with this. One of thee most notable hip hop graphics thanks to Lyrrad

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    AWWWWWWWYEAHHHHHHH

I've been trying to upload this for a week now.

The quality is not the best. But I still think it's pretty great.

Jazzy Jeff - Live in South Philly [1986]

• Anyone happen to know what's the first house track Skribble is scrathing over? The hook goes "understand this groove" or similar.

• that jeff video is sick!!!

• Hi,
    I??m one of the Webmasters from West Coast Pioneers. Cool that you like our site.
    For a lot of old school footage check West Coast Pioneers on YouTube.
    Enjoy your trip.

http://www.youtube.com/user/westcoastpioneer

• I've been trying to upload this for a week now.

I'm sorry but unfortunatley this is not working for me. Cant you upload it at youtube ???

Ok here is what I found:

Def cut show from Aladdin, his show is so funky !!!!

Than this here. Its still a scandal to me. Even if he won 2 times, even if he is German like me, I'm still not impressed with this performance. Mistakes through the whole set, but what is so impressive about what he is doing ?? I cant see the performance of a DJ. I see more of a acrobatic dude standing in front of a 2 turntables. Fuck it, DJ Soul D should have won that German championship, but his father was not the organiser of the German Championships back than.

DMC Champion 1991

Ah OK, and he is playing poker in tournaments. And he is doing that better than DJaying.

De Deutschen Westcoast Fans sind auch hier. Mir ist eure Seite schon vor Monaten aufgefallen. Sehr Geil was ihr da macht !!!!!!! Die Interviews sind Bombe !!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

that jeff video is sick!!!

The video quality isn't the best. But damn... What I wouldn't have have given up to be there that night.

I've been trying to upload this for a week now.

I'm sorry but unfortunatley this is not working for me. Cant you upload it at youtube ???

Can't... Youtube time limits won't allow it. You probably will have to goto stage 6 and grab the DIVX player.

Than this here. Its still a scandal to me. Even if he won 2 times, even if he is German like me, I'm still not impressed with this performance. Mistakes through the whole set, but what is so impressive about what he is doing ?? I cant see the performance of a DJ. I see more of a acrobatic dude standing in front of a 2 turntables. Fuck it, DJ Soul D should have won that German championship, but his father was not the organiser of the German Championships back than.

I remember back then. Sure most of David's routine was purely show. But back then, the DMC wasn't so much about technical, more like wowing the crowd with show stopping tricks. When dude did the spin at the end to Jungle Bros. Thats all I heard about for months.

• Jazzy Jeff - Live in South Philly [1986]

Thanx 4 posting

• When dude did the spin at the end to Jungle Bros. Thats all I heard

I know, here in germany was the same. But all those dudes had no knowledge. They were blinded by a piece of shit.

But after that came a huge backlash. Bodytricks where so much out after this. Because nobody wanted to be in the same class with him !!!!

Peace

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Holy shit Hawkeye I just spent an hour watching those videos. Thanks for posting them. I hadn't seen some of em in years. I brought my son in here so he could be schooled in
    Aladdin and Cash Money were killing it back then.

One thing I've always wanted to see is that Joe Cooley/Cash Money battle. Anybody got that?

• Sorry found this randomly and had to post it here

• damn, i can't belive this is 10 years old now

It was funny to see the X-men all swaggered up then watching them get SERVED the fuck up in their own town.

• This shit changed my young life

It was funny to see the X-men all swaggered up then watching them get SERVED the fuck up in their own town.

check out yuichi in the background!

this was indeed awesome. i seem to remember folks saying it was a draw but come on.

• man, what a time. All I did for like 3-4 years was scratch an watch battle videos. What's funny is that today I would cringe at something like a "rocksteady festival" or "team scratch huddles" or whatnot.

Draw? They beat 'em withink the first 1 1/2 minutes.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    This shit changed my young life

check out yuichi in the background!

this was indeed awesome. i seem to remember folks saying it was a draw but come on.

Classic Battle.Just Q and Short alone, kill it!
    Mix Master Mike is dope, but those two..Styles for days.

• there's a lot of old/classic turntable t.v. episodes on Youtube, a bunch with d-styles.

• DJ FATBLUBBERBELLY!!!

• Oh hell yeah!!She don't seem like she's in control though..all show??

• Holy shit Hawkeye I just spent an hour watching those videos. Thanks for posting them. I hadn't seen some of em in years. I brought my son in here so he could be schooled in
    Aladdin and Cash Money were killing it back then.

One thing I've always wanted to see is that Joe Cooley/Cash Money battle. Anybody got that?
    Aladdin, $ Money and Jazzy Jeff had that funk that not to many new school battle dj's/turntablists/etc,. seem to have.
    All of these videos make me want watch all my old DMC/ITF/Turntable TV tapes (yes tapes, not DVDs).

As far as the X-Men and Skratch Piklz battle, yeah, the X-Men got that azz whupped.

• What do you giuys think is the reason that so many DJs today seem to be technical perfect, but have a lack of soul or funkyness or musicality in their way of cutting.

Is it me or them ????

Am I ??????

Peace
    Hawkeye

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Aladdin... what can you say about that guy? His cuts added so much to the Low Profile album - easily one of my favourite DJs of all time. Same with Jazzy Jeff.

One of my favourite clips I've found recently is this 2 minute snippet of Steve D(ee). Can't believe that this was 1991...

So much style - and he's smiling and looking like he's enjoying himself throughout!

• What do you giuys think is the reason that so many DJs today seem to be technical perfect, but have a lack of soul or funkyness or musicality in their way of cutting.

Is it me or them ????

Am I ??????

Peace
    Hawkeye
    Well let's look at it like this.

In the 80's, DJ's didn't have access to How-to tapes and battle videos. Probably think dj's had to go off of were other dj's,
    mixtapes and the radio. So if you were in the middle of Nebraska, you had to be really creative to come up with something innovative.

In the 90's, access to DMC/ITF tapes really changed the way how battle dj's were performing. Dudes were actually studying routines (and subsequently biting them).

Even though a lot of routines were technically more advanced in the 90's then in the previous decade,
    all in all, it came off sounding like a bunch of robots were on the turntables. A big reason why that whole movement fell off around 2002.

• Even though a lot of routines were technically more advanced in the 90's then in the previous decade,
    all in all, it came off sounding like a bunch of robots were on the turntables.

I agree with 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are both of them real teath ????

• thanks for the videos! does anyone have or remember rey-d & membrane (from germany?) battling in 1994-95 DMC world? that had to be one of the funniest moments in dj battle history..