Please to recommend some cartridges (DJ-R)

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
So, I was asked to do a weekend-long DJ dealie in a few weeks, and I need to get some new cartridges. I'll be doing mostly soul 45s and a few album cuts with minimal cutting and mixing, so I'm looking for something with excellent fidelity and tracking. I don't need anything with extremely high output???my main concern is no skips and quality sound reproduction.Also, if you have any advice on weight/height/anti-skate settings for those particular cartridges, I'd appreciate that as well. I'm using Tech 12MK2s, if that helps.Thanks in advance,GBH

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    knowledge has been dropped on a previous occasion, peep:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=821559

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    knowledge has been dropped on a previous occasion, peep:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=821559

Nice, thanks!

The crowd seems split between the 447s, the 44Gs, and the Shure White Labels. I'm leaning toward the 447s (balling-on-a-budget-R). Anybody got set-up tips for proper weight, tonearm height, etc., or should I just use the recommended settings?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Get the whitelabels. They are perfect. I have them and some M44Gs which sound awful in comparison.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Get the whitelabels. They are perfect. I have them and some M44Gs which sound awful in comparison.

Well...alright, I'm game. What's the deal with Concorde-style cartidges, though? Never had any.

• i have the qbert ortofon concordes. a pair of em with barely used stylli and one extra stylus. they are like the whitelabels, but you can use them for scratching.

shures are better for Microwave, so i never really use them.

if your interested, pm me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'll cosign on the white labels. I've been very happy with mine though I didn't buy a pair since I mostly got one for digitizing vinyl purposes. For DJing, I still use my 44-7s but if I were buying carts for the first time, I'd just get a pair of white labels.

It says "concord-style" but it's not really. It just happens to be an integrated headshell but it looks more like a conventional cart than, say, an Ortofon.

That said, not having to install the headshell yourself =