45 coasters

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
ive seen these a few times on the strut from other dudes who found some raer shit totally ruined. none of these are really hard to find, but all good tracks that were either completely warped, beat to shit, or cracked in multiple places...(usually i keep even VG-- 45s...) so i cut them up and put them to a new use.good way to take out some anger on an unplayable 45..what do you have?(P.S. will somebody please send me a nice non-coasterized copy of that mcgriff 45? i still dont have that track in any shape or form, and this copy was...SERIOUSLY...95% hiss. i have no idea how a record's grooves can get so damaged.)

Comments

• I put epoxy on mine and glued a circle of cork underneath.

Can't remember where I put 'em though!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You can snag the McGriff LP for cheap on the Bay. It turns up at the odd thrift store, too. Hell, you'll probably get one by the end of this thread.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    You can snag the McGriff LP for cheap on the Bay. It turns up at the odd thrift store, too. Hell, you'll probably get one by the end of this thread.

oh yeah, ebay! i forgot about that place.

yeah his lps dont really turn up too often around here. i only have 2 that i found in actual stores. only seen that worm 45 ONCE and NEVER the lp.

• I have a nice stack of these as well...my raerist one is a Soul Seven...got some other raer ones also...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What are you using to cut these out?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

what he said. pretty cool.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

SCISSORS! super easy for 45s, not so for LPs. Also, watch out for flying splinters.

Which fool told me to heat up a tomato can till it was red hot and stamp them out?!

I'm doing a bunch at the moment, will post up soon.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    herm had those waaayyy back...

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I cut a potato in half set the 45 atop and broil that beezy 'til I have an ashtray. Last one I made was couple weeks ago with that nice marvin smith on mayfield. Out of town so no pic. About to make another out of this adulterated jay mitchell "goombay bump"

• chasechase 767 Posts
    an ashtray with a big hole in the middle??

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I use epoxy to attach a circle of glass to the bottom, helps weigh it down. No problem having it cut because grandma does stained glass.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    gotta few NM Salt coasters

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

SCISSORS!

yep, scissors. pretty easy, just make sure you dont cut yourself. the scissors ride the hump for the label pretty well and you end up with a relatively clean cut without much effort.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    READ EM AND WEEP LITTLE DUDES!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

SCISSORS!

yep, scissors. pretty easy, just make sure you dont cut yourself. the scissors ride the hump for the label pretty well and you end up with a relatively clean cut without much effort.

Thanks y'all.

Esp. Ako for the safety with scissors advice.