Every collectros nightmare phone call - NAGL

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
i just found out this weekend that my storage unit in brooklyn got flooded (about an inch they say). I have 95% of all my records in there, and i am having a heart attack right now fearing the worst (i can't make it out there till tonight/tomorrow to know for sure the condition).I had my shit stacked in uhaul boxes, so i think at worst i am dealing with 2-3 boxes (150+ records) that would have come in direct contact with water. i am praying that my unit did not catch the worst, but until i check, i have no way to know.but, i need some advice help.1. with the records themselves, any words on the best way to treat records that just came into contact with water through saturation? to add insult to injury, my storage unit called me last week, and i just came across the voice mail message (OOF! [email]F@CK).[/email] that means, the water has likely receded fully and i am now possibly dealing with mold.2. any of you folks ever deal with insurance cases at storage units. i think i had about $3-5K in insurance, and i just want to know what (if any) luck i have getting money if the records are drenched/ruined? or am i going to catch a scenario where because they don't appear destroyed to a non-record person, they will give me shit?i can honestly say i am somewhat grateful that my collection doesn't include many amazing raers. most of my shit is 90's hip-hop with some mid-range bin soul/jazz/rock. but still...it was hard enough for me to give up my records to storage as i am in between moves. if i lost any gems to this, i am gonna be crushed. :whymusticry:

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Damn, man, sorry to hear about that.

The one Jonny Paycheck can probably offer some advice--in fact, if he's not around, I know there was a thread from when his store flooded that should have some information you can use.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    J, Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'm free.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    thanks D. ima go through that thread and look for info to try to salvage what i can.

Br#nt, i am gonna see if i can work from home tomorrow and take part of the day to go over to that spot, i may holla at you for some help. thanks duder.

Honestly, when i got the VM from my storage unit, my first fear was that something happened with my automatic payment and that they were just selling my records to the good folks who live in FT Green.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i lost a couple thosand records to flooding once. what saved the rest of the records was pulling them out of their jackets and sleeves and drying them off immediately. i had four people working for for 8/9hrs to do this. in the end, it all worked out but the faster you get on it the better your records will be.

we started off just pulling the vinyl and placing paper towels between each piece but after running through a few rolls we just started using rags to get the moisture off them.

most of the jackets had to be tossed...

good luck!

• J, Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'm free.

Yeah, homie. What he said. Just holler.