the cream of my latest haul

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
This is only a fraction of what I brought home with me from my last trip to Cotonou. I had only traveled with very few clothes and one pair of shoes so I could fill up my big hardshell suitcase with as many records as possible. When I hauled my suitcase onto the scale at the check-in counter, the crust on my shredded arm broke open. The scale said 95 pounds and the check-in attendant said "Non!". I had to open up my suitcase right there, take out some stacks of records and try to fit them into my already bursting carry-on bags all the while bleeding profusely from the busted up wound on my arm. It was nasty! People behind me were starting to freak out, they had waited in line for at least an hour and now there was this maniac blocking the check-in counter, bleeding all over the place and mumbling obscenities in a foreign language.Of course, after I was done, my carry-on luggage was way too much according to regulations but it took surprising little arguing and only a rather slim bribe to solve the problem, I guess my blood smeared appearance and the unruly crowd behind me made the attendant want to solve this situation just as quickly as myself.and a few pic sleeve 45s:

Comments

• let me be the first to say :

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Wow. not much more to say really.

i'm curios about the record in the top left corner, that cover is amazing..

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Wow. not much more to say really.

i'm curios about the record in the top left corner, that cover is amazing..

It's a compilation of different bands from Benin. It's a double LP and the design continues to the backside. Standout track is the organfuled afrobeat scorcher "africa" by Les Sympathics as featured on this mix here http://voodoofunk.blogspot.com/2007/04/life-is-game_10.html

I found a few sealed copies of this, can't do any trades or sales from here because of shipping issues but they'll probably end up at Jonny's store in a few months time...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    As always wow! Where is the master digger greamlin?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    As always wow! Where is the master digger greamlin?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Amazing stuff as usual Frank... can't wait to listen!

I can only imagine the scene at the airport. Hilarious

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "funky pack"

"atomic bomb"

FRANK'S MIDDLE NAME=UNFUCKWITHABLE

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Damn! Excellent finds.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    dude is that your blood on the top right LP!!?!

story and recs are hardest as fuckest, congrats!

• Amazing stuff as usual Frank... can't wait to listen!

I can only imagine the scene at the airport. Hilarious

BLEEDING DISHEVELED MAN WISHES TO ENTER EU GRIPPING PILES OF STAINED OLD RECORDS WITH NAMES LIKE ATOM BOMB AND FUNKY PACK.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think there needs to be a digging hall of fame. I think Frank is already inducted.

FRANK'S AFRICAN RECORD FINDS = MOST IN THE GAME

• May I just say a few things:

(1) "Record related injuries" highlight reel - here you come!

(b)
    it took surprising little arguing and only a rather slim bribe to solve the problem

This is gold. Victorian-colonial-era jewel-encrusted gold, my man.

(iii) That top left cover

is[/b] amazing, but I thought that nooses were personoose non grata around here lately???

Peace - J

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    good lord

let me pick up my face, it just melted

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Impressive....and I hate raining on parades, especially when some have had it up to here with the term, but....

"the cream of my latest haul"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    RIDICULOUS.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    My god Frank. If you ever do decide to write a book, I'll buy a stack of 'em for sure. Keep the stories comin'.

• Lots of good ones there, I wonder about some of the mysterious ones. Celebrant and that ck mann are real cool finds though. I know everyone knows about that funky pack record but it's still pretty hard. BREAD POWER indeed dude

• as always, finds and stories.

I just found a brithish copy of the sunny ade above, anyone wanna trade?
    pm if interested...

• killin it as usual!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    dude is that your blood on the top right LP!!?!

story and recs are hardest as fuckest, congrats!

haha, no, that's just a printing flaw.
    Luckily, I had all records split in smaller stacks and wrapped up in plastic bags, non of them got bloodied...

Tomorrow I'm going to take off for a two week digging spree in Ghana.