ATTN LA HEADS: RIP HAL FISHMAN

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
a true LA legend for those that don't know Hal Fishman was the longest running on air newsman in the nation. He passed away several days ago. I grew up watching him and his dignified wy of reporting the news will always stand out to me as the standard for broadcast journalismhere is a news story on his passinghttp://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN0725649220070808 LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Hal Fishman, the longtime news anchor for independent Los Angeles television station KTLA, died at his home Tuesday morning, less than a week after being diagnosed with colon cancer. He was 75.Fishman had been hospitalized for a serious infection after collapsing at his home Wednesday. While undergoing treatment for his infection, doctors discovered that Fishman had colon cancer, which had spread to his liver.The Tribune Co.-owned station said Monday that Fishman had returned to his home, where he died at 3 a.m. Tuesday with his family.Fishman, a 47-year news veteran, had anchored KTLA's 10 p.m. newscast since 1975 -- which made him the longest-running anchor in TV history, according to the station -- and also served as the show's managing editor."Hal's strong connection with southern Californians, along with his journalistic integrity, made him one of the brightest stars in KTLA's 60-year history," a statement on KTLA's Web site said, adding that "the citizens of Los Angeles will always hold Hal very dearly in their hearts, and he will be deeply missed."Added California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger: "I remember Hal giving me the news when I first came to California in 1968 ... Hal will forever remain an icon in California history."Fishman started his career in broadcasting while working as a political professor at CSU Los Angeles. In 1960, he was approached by local TV station KCOP asking him to teach an on-air class in politics. The class, "American Political Parties in Politics," was a success, and KCOP asked Fishman to anchor his own news segment.He joined KTLA in 1965, the same year as the Watts riots. His coverage of that event helped the station win Emmy and Peabody awards.Fishman also covered such stories as the 1968 assassination of Robert F. Kennedy, the 1994 Northridge, Calif., earthquake, the 1991 Rodney King beating and the September 11 terrorist attacks Among Fishman's honors are a Governors Award from the Los Angeles chapter of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences and an Outstanding Broadcast Journalism Award from the Society of Professional Journalists. In 1992, Fishman received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.Along with his newscasting duties, Fishman appeared in films and TV shows, playing a version of himself. He most recently was seen as the anchorman in this year's "Spider-Man 3."Fishman, who was known as the "Flying Anchorman," also was a veteran pilot and held 12 world aviation records for speed and altitude, according to KTLA.He is survived by a wife and son.Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Comments