daft punk saved my life

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
i know there have been a lot of posts about these dudes lately and it seems like in the last 1-2 years the daft cult has blown up, but i caught them when they came through chicago last night (well, watched from outside the fence, i wasn't really interested in paying 80$ for lollapalooza) and even from that distance it was pretty jaw dropping. I wish i'd spent $80 If any of you get a chance to see them, i know they're in ny soon, take it w/out hesitation."Alive" and "Rollin and Scratchin" were mind-bending highlightsfinale:

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    quit blowing daft punk.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    quit blowing daft punk.
    at least i'm not making shitty pop songs sampling them ":D"

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

wow, 2 dudes playing a CD...and those lights....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I thought Daft Punk peeked like 7 years ago?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah somewhere in there. sorry i forgot about soulstrut's bias against old music

back to the contemporary sounds of nicole willis

wow, 2 dudes playing a CD...and those lights....
    you sound old

yeah somewhere in there. sorry i forgot about soulstrut's bias against old music

back to the contemporary sounds of nicole willis

Nah.

How long have you been checkin them?

I used to read a gamg of music mags back in the late 90's w/ all that House/Electronica/etc and Daft Punk were just one of many cats doin it. But if there doin it still - well i cant hatt.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i bought discovery when it dropped, that was my first real exposure, i guess i'd heard 'around the world' before somewhere ... the only house i heard before that was chicago house stuff that got played in h.s.

I agree they are well past their creative peak, but the show is still a spectacle

they've grown in stature in the last year or two w/ some people, and a new generation has kind of taken to them justice and all that stuff. Which i'm not really into as much ... more rock influence, and more into discovery's pop songs than homework's chicago house ripoff. i think they're both great albums but it does lose something

the french house scene was obv more than just those two but a lot of stuff coming out was by them that wasn't under their names, ie stardust, crydamour label, etc

I like Goldfrapp.....

• Options

I didn't know either that they were fully blown up right now. I just checked on ebay to see if some of their old vinyl I have is going for cash and saw the tickets for NY going for a lot of money, 120 per ticket.

What's made them blow up again? Sorry for being a bit disconnected, I really thought they were an afterthought the last few years.

I remember a night maybe 10 years ago they had just played a huge party in NYC and were standing outside with their record boxes, just the two of them and maybe 4 boxes. I think they were waiting for a car or something, then they just wandered back inside and left the boxes on the curb!! There was a group of maybe 10 of us all staring at each other wondering if we should take them and get the hell out of there, when all of a sudden after a couple minutes some little girl comes running out wild-eyed and yells "OH THANK GOD" when she sees the records are still there. It was kind of surreal, and a minute or two later they both come sauntering out sipping sodies like a couple wide-eyed little kids. I'll never forget that, they killed it that night too and played some wicked records that I'd never heard before or since.

• Options

the french house scene was obv more than just those two but a lot of stuff coming out was by them that wasn't under their names, ie stardust, crydamour label, etc

Roule label was owned by Thomas Bangalter as well.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    discovery is probably the key to that, it was an album that really resonated w/ a different audience than they normally were drawing circa homework ... i wouldn't say it was quite 'crossover,' but definitely in the vein of that velvet underground 'everyone who heard it went out and formed an [electronic pop act]'. A lot of the stuff now that bites them, the blog house and justice and simian mobile disco and all that is like one more step removed from straight house, leaning into pop and rock, lots of 3-4 min songs, bigger hooks. a lot of it feels hit or miss to me, but i am guessing that a lot of that late 90s french filter disco felt the same way to ppl raised on czr and paul johnson and dj sneak et al

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I remember a night maybe 10 years ago they had just played a huge party in NYC and were standing outside with their record boxes, just the two of them and maybe 4 boxes. I think they were waiting for a car or something, then they just wandered back inside and left the boxes on the curb!! There was a group of maybe 10 of us all staring at each other wondering if we should take them and get the hell out of there, when all of a sudden after a couple minutes some little girl comes running out wild-eyed and yells "OH THANK GOD" when she sees the records are still there. It was kind of surreal, and a minute or two later they both come sauntering out sipping sodies like a couple wide-eyed little kids. I'll never forget that, they killed it that night too and played some wicked records that I'd never heard before or since.
    haha i love this

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think they're like the hair metal/pink floyd of the dance music scene. Definitely aged but still selling out arenas and rocking hard.

I am feeling Justice just a bit more these days, Daft Punk still opened my eyes to house/disco back when Homework dropped though. I was always intrigued by the fact that a review of their initial attempt as a rock band led them to the path they're on now and the reviewer called their music some kind of "daft punk," hence the name.

The fact the they lift from moder/boogie/r&b/disco is also key. Some tunes are just good tunes, no matter who makes them/interpolates them/samples them or if it's mainstream as fuk.

Yah I like a lot of 50 Cent and Ciara songs, too.

I'm excited to hear what the rest of the Kanye album turns out to be like. That, Curtis, and the Carter 3 are gonna make for a hot fall/winter, no doubt.

I think they're like the hair metal/pink floyd of the dance music scene. Definitely aged but still selling out arenas and rocking hard.

I am feeling Justice just a bit more these days, Daft Punk still opened my eyes to house/disco back when Homework dropped though. I was always intrigued by the fact that a review of their initial attempt as a rock band led them to the path they're on now and the reviewer called their music some kind of "daft punk," hence the name.

The fact the they lift from moder/boogie/r&b/disco is also key. Some tunes are just good tunes, no matter who makes them/interpolates them/samples them or if it's mainstream as fuk.

Yah I like a lot of 50 Cent and Ciara songs, too.

I'm excited to hear what the rest of the Kanye album turns out to be like. That, Curtis, and the Carter 3 are gonna make for a hot fall/winter, no doubt.

I hear what ur sayin but i cant lump them into the same realm as Ciara/50/Kanye.
    The "dance" scene is a whole different dynamic IMO.

• FmGTFmGT 13 Posts
    No doubt, they're good showmen, but their most famous songs were direct lifts from older shit. No artistry in that, or is there? [Debate] I mean, the skill and deftness with which they mixed/arranged songs like "Robot Rock" or "Digital Love" or "Harder Better Faster Stronger", where they did nothing to adjust or manipulate the hooks into their songs.... I dunno... good show or not, I'm really not as down with them as I once was.

Robot Rock = "Release the Beast" by Breakwater
    Digital Love = "I Love You More" by George Duke
    Harder Better Faster Stronger = "Cola Bottle Baby" by Edwin Birdsong

[apologies if all this ish has been pointed out before, I'm new to the 'Strut and I love it here]

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

You must hate rap.

Worst 4th post ever.

:bangsheadagainstbrickwall:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    No doubt, they're good showmen, but their most famous songs were direct lifts from older shit. No artistry in that, or is there? [Debate] I mean, the skill and deftness with which they mixed/arranged songs like "Robot Rock" or "Digital Love" or "Harder Better Faster Stronger", where they did nothing to adjust or manipulate the hooks into their songs.... I dunno... good show or not, I'm really not as down with them as I once was.

[apologies if all this ish has been pointed out before, I'm new to the 'Strut and I love it here]
    robot rock was a little suspect but the other two are nothing like the o.g.s

• FmGTFmGT 13 Posts
    Nah, I like. Just not huge on Daft Punk is all.

• FmGTFmGT 13 Posts
    Yeah, that was a shitty post in retrospect. Shouldn't drink and post.

Shouldn't drink and post.

ALWAYS DRINK AND POST

• You can't hate the heat that Daft Punk have brought... seriously they get hot ass on the dancefloor which is prime. That said, heard that the light show... is the show but whatever. If you want to talk french discoey housey douchery talk to me about Fred faulke and Alan Brauxe they got an access denied to creativity. Oh and Justice is actually going to cause that schizoid brain embolism that Arnie was warned about in Total Recall, Do the D.A.N.C.E. from F.R.A.N.C.E. Je deteste.
    "Dude what about their shirts in the video?"... "What about you suck in real life"
    I'm Out

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    wow

You can't hate the heat that Daft Punk have brought... seriously they get hot ass on the dancefloor which is prime. That said, heard that the light show... is the show but whatever. If you want to talk french discoey housey douchery talk to me about Fred faulke and Alan Brauxe they got an access denied to creativity. Oh and Justice is actually going to cause that schizoid brain embolism that Arnie was warned about in Total Recall, Do the D.A.N.C.E. from F.R.A.N.C.E. Je deteste.
    "Dude what about their shirts in the video?"... "What about you suck in real life"
    I'm Out

you sound white

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    ... "What about you suck in real life"

ALWAYS DRINK AND POST

• Options
    You can't hate the heat that Daft Punk have brought... seriously they get hot ass on the dancefloor which is prime. That said, heard that the light show... is the show but whatever. If you want to talk french discoey housey douchery talk to me about Fred faulke and Alan Brauxe they got an access denied to creativity. Oh and Justice is actually going to cause that schizoid brain embolism that Arnie was warned about in Total Recall, Do the D.A.N.C.E. from F.R.A.N.C.E. Je deteste.
    I'm Out

What the hell just happened?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• their music always makes me think of "night at the roxbury"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I hear they KILLED it at Coney Island last week. Pure

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I hear they KILLED it at Coney Island last week. Pure

kick myself for not going to this. always been a fan. haterade or not.