who would win in an asshurtiness contest? Asshurt DJ.Peace...JLR

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    RECORD STORE DUDE WHO IS ALSO DJ:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you should really start clicking "preview"
    before you post - you tend to leave 3 or 4
    words out of every sentence. It's like playing
    fucking Wheel of Fortune trying to read your shit.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The DJ's got a job to do so he should be able to move
    on quite quickly....

The record store guy has all day to stew about shit, all he
    has to do occasionally change the CD.
    He just listened to Gang Gang Dance and Devendra Barnhart so
    he just a big downer in general.

I say record store guy, hands down.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Disc Jockey's Asshurtness > Wreka Sto Dude's Asshurtness

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fam, You gotta say no Homo after you something as gay as Asshurt.

Saying "no homo" is way past the expiration date.

Should we also be trying to "catch wreck" too?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Dope

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Back to the question at hand, being a DJ who does his best to avoid the pitfalls of asshurtedness (ayo,) and being that I know a shitload (ayo) of DJs who are full-on-asshurt (ayoayoayo,) I gotta go with the record store dudes.

"Oh, that's not obvious enough Rob. How about the Beatles? Or fucking... fucking Beethoven? Side one, Track one of the Fifth Symphony... How can someone with no interest in music own a record store?"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    both are full-on ridiculous. If you don't want to make your living in music then go get yourself a job doing some normal shit.

Everyone, from the DJ to the record shop clerk, has to compromise some of themselves to succeed. But you know what, even that compromise is a whole lot less than going to work for some company you don't care about, doing some shit you don't love, making money you don't give a shit about.

I have off days at the shop no question. And I just got handed two FULL dvds of music to play at this wedding this weekend, some of which is awful. BUT, as I am putting together my playlists I am peppering in Leroy Hutson, Money Jungle, Turner Brothers, Curtis Mayfield, The Zombies, Le Cop, and so on. I am really stoked to throw down... even though it means playing "Waiting For The World To Change". That is 4 minutes of pain that I can live with.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    both are full-on ridiculous. If you don't want to make your living in music then go get yourself a job doing some normal shit.

Everyone, from the DJ to the record shop clerk, has to compromise some of themselves to succeed. But you know what, even that compromise is a whole lot less than going to work for some company you don't care about, doing some shit you don't love, making money you don't give a shit about.

I have off days at the shop no question. And I just got handed two FULL dvds of music to play at this wedding this weekend, some of which is awful. BUT, as I am putting together my playlists I am peppering in Leroy Hutson, Money Jungle, Turner Brothers, Curtis Mayfield, The Zombies, Le Cop, and so on. I am really stoked to throw down... even though it means playing "Waiting For The World To Change". That is 4 minutes of pain that I can live with.

you're lucky your shop is a raer boutique...have ya ever had to deal with douchetards who want a fucking discount on a 25 cent Van Halen LP because it "has some scratches" That shit makes ya wanna go all Jack Black on someone.....

I just got handed two FULL dvds of music to play at this wedding this weekend, some of which is awful. BUT, as I am putting together my playlists I am peppering in Leroy Hutson, Money Jungle, Turner Brothers, Curtis Mayfield, The Zombies, Le Cop, and so on. I am really stoked to throw down... even though it means playing "Waiting For The World To Change". That is 4 minutes of pain that I can live with.

Seriously mang - I was at a wedding this weekend (wifey's cousin) and the DJ's playlist (I'm assuming he was the venue's pick, not the wedding couple's) was so straight-up "wedding music" that it was almost a parody of itself. We're talking..."Kokomo," "Don't Worry Be Happy" and "Caribbean Queen." I kept waiting for Ritchie's "Hello" or maybe Stevie's "I Just Called To Say I Love You."

When "Celebration" finally came on, I grabbed wifey and daughter and said, "that's our cue: time to go." Something like Curtis or the Zombies would have blown my mind.

I just got handed two FULL dvds of music to play at this wedding this weekend, some of which is awful. BUT, as I am putting together my playlists I am peppering in Leroy Hutson, Money Jungle, Turner Brothers, Curtis Mayfield, The Zombies, Le Cop, and so on. I am really stoked to throw down... even though it means playing "Waiting For The World To Change". That is 4 minutes of pain that I can live with.

Seriously mang - I was at a wedding this weekend (wifey's cousin) and the DJ's playlist (I'm assuming he was the venue's pick, not the wedding couple's) was so straight-up "wedding music" that it was almost a parody of itself. We're talking..."Kokomo," "Don't Worry Be Happy" and "Caribbean Queen." I kept waiting for Ritchie's "Hello" or maybe Stevie's "I Just Called To Say I Love You."

When "Celebration" finally came on, I grabbed wifey and daughter and said, "that's our cue: time to go." Something like Curtis or the Zombies would have blown my mind.

why do people with tastes like this even have music at their wedding? They obviously dont really like music.

There is NO way they like those songs...oh wait, were they in a coma?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    asshurt record store dude wins hands down - those are some of the most asshurt people in the world - just think of all the record store dudes on this forum alone! laserwolf has a record store right?

why do people with tastes like this even have music at their wedding? They obviously dont really like music.

Ha - well, not to turn this into a wedding thread but the wedding was just the kind of paint-by-numbers affair that makes me exasperated with the whole wedding industrial complex to begin with. I understand the desire for ceremony and tradition and, even from an anthropological point of view, *ritual* but this wedding - which was not small...maybe 200 people? - just seemed so by-the-book that there was very little in the way of creativity, spontaneity and individuality. The fact that they let the venue's DJ run the show was indicative of that. You don't need to hire your own DJ but at least hit dude off with a list of songs you want. I'm assuming the Bride/Groom first dance song was their own choice, but while I don't know my wife's cousin very well, I just can't believe her or her husband actually sit around and listen to "Schlock Hits of the '80s" all day long.

That said, my daughter had a great time. Huge parquet + 2-3 year olds = mega hit.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

There is NO way they like those songs...oh wait, were they in a coma?

It's not always the fault of the people getting married, though; sometimes the wedding "DJ" takes it upon himself to play that schitt.

My parents and sister worked really hard on the playlist for her wedding last year--you should have seen my dad's face when the DJ went ahead and started playing schitt like "Celebration" and "Play that Funky Music," despite being given an extremely detailed playlist. And that's definitely not the only wedding I've heard of where the "DJ" has insisted on foisting that crap on the attendees, despite being specifically instructed not to.

• Paychex, we know you da man. You ain't gotta shit on us "desk jockeys" just ta big yaself up!

You could just edit your first sentence, making it EVERYONE has to compromise. Not just records slangers and spinners.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

It's not always the fault of the people getting married, though; sometimes the wedding "DJ" takes it upon himself to play that schitt.

i have yet to see a good wedding dj and i've been to quite a few weddings over the past couple of years.

a few weeks ago, i was at a wedding where the couple chose "lets stay together" for their first dance. the dj, in full-on cheesy radio voice, introduced the couple and before pushing play on the cd, he said with complete seriousness, "ladies and gentlmen, Mr. Al Green".

Although I have only DJ'd a few weddings, i realize how much power the DJ has over the reception. I was a last minute DJ at a wedding and I asked over and over, when is the first dance, father bride dance, etc...no one told me. Also I asked what they wanted as those songs, their response was "anything will be fine". Whatever. I was playing Bossa, Jazz and some mellow Hammond stuff while dinner was going on...semmed to be going ok, then all of the sudden this dude grabs the mic and introduces the couple and says, now the first dance! I had some Blue Note thing spinning while he said this...I was like OH SHIT because everyone was looking at me. But by some divine intervention or something I plunged my hand in my 45 box when I saw dude grab the mic and the first record I pulled was Sam Cooke "You Send Me",I slapped it on and had it ready to go right when the dude said ..."dance!" I coulda completely ruined their wedding.

A freind of mine accidently dropped Eric Clapton "Cocaine" during the Father/Bride dance. whoooops!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've been to some good weddings from the DJ p.o.v. recently. I went to a particularly memorable one in Chester a while back where, in amongst all the 70's/80's throwback stuff like Shalamar and Sister Sledge, we got all kinds of classic rare groove, and things like Airto and Joyce as well - they didn't clear the floor either. I went to a junglist wedding the other week, and it was funny as shit watching the bride and bridesmaids, all still in their wedding mufti, shockin' out to shit like Renegade Snares and The Helicopter Tune.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

A freind of mine accidently dropped Eric Clapton "Cocaine" during the Father/Bride dance. whoooops!

"this ones for the father of the bride who just got out of jail."

I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and the dj played muzak versions of all the hits like play that funky music and celebrate. It was just plain horrible.

I think a lot of couples just don't know what to do so they just call some random wedding DJ service and they are fucked right off the bat. If someone says, "I have been playing weddings for 30+ years they are probably shit."

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    I've played a few weddings and they always suck to play. People call me from hearing my radio show and say that's the music they want (mostly funk 45's, bit of hip hop) and I ask them like 5 times 'You sure this is what you want, because I'm not going to play cheese'. Sure enough everyone stops eating and all they want to hear is Michael Jackson and Prince. I always try to price myself out of it but it never works, then I start adding up what gear or records I can buy with these chumps cash and next thing next thing you know I'm eating an overpriced and overcooked steak the size of quarter.

Record store dude asshurt no question, especially if he's short too. Those little-man-syndrome dudes hold on to shit like a rottweiler.

Sure enough everyone stops eating and all they want to hear is Michael Jackson and Prince. I always try to price myself out of it but it never works, then I start adding up what gear or records I can buy with these chumps cash and next thing next thing you know I'm eating an overpriced and overcooked steak the size of quarter.

You should not dj weddings.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I always try to price myself out of it but it never works

ORLY

You should not dj weddings.

I know. It's not like I'm rude or doing anything wrong and I still do the job properly. But these people do call me and say we want a proper DJ not a 'wedding DJ' and they know exactly what I play because they heard me and then called so they know what they are getting. I don't do them for less than about $1500 so i can handle the pain for a few hours. But I think they may permanently harming my soul

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    at our wedding we just gave the guy a list of about 15 songs we wanted him to play, but more importantly about 20 songs that he was NOT to play under any circumstances.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Who hates playing Prince and Michael Jackson? Jesus

I fucking love weddings. The money is good, contracts are usually signed without so much as a question, and for every Sinatra or MJ or (gag) Slightly Stoopid tune I've had to play I can drop stuff like Duke Pearson, First Choice, The Charmels, and classics like Otis Redding or whatever.

If you're doing your job, you won't have a bunch of people nagging at you because everyone will be too busy enjoying themselves. If you're the kind of selfish ass that only wants to hear themselves play tunes they like and nobody else even knows then you shouldn't be doing weddings because you are fucking with people's lives behind that shit.

This, beyond all of the other stuff, is why manchild should not dj weddings.

This, beyond all of the other stuff, is why manchild should not dj weddings.

no, no, don't get me wrong. love prince and michael jackson - i mean this is the ONLY thing of mine they like. no otis redding, no motown, nothing. i try and bring more accessible funk and soul stuff, not the raers and they usually still can't get down