whats good in Birmingham, Alabama

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
just scored a bunch of work so im gonna be down there a lot in the upcoming weeks. will it be a good thing that i will be working 6 10-12 hour days a week or are there cool things to do/places to dig down there?holla at a spock.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if you are into rednecks and boredom, it is a helluva town.

but in all fairness, I havent been there in ten years, so it might have become a fun place since then.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    wow. dont think you'll need to much luck down there. sounds like you'll be busy, but be as persistent as possible on lunch breaks.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    if you are into rednecks and boredom, it is a helluva town.

so youre saying its a good thing i wont have any time to do anything, alrighty then.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    fucking barbecue is off the hook. best luck in "antique" stores--which are more like thrift stores. because the thrifts tend to be total garbage. while the people down there invented soul and funk, they did not have as much discretionary income to build collections. plus dudes like dante have prolly raided all the jukebox service centers and closed stores years ago. you will peep some nice private label krunk steez 12s. have portable.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    but be as persistent as possible on lunch breaks.

yeah, we are installing a huge a/v system in a church down there so hopefully it will be in a neighborhood with some old thrifts or something. we shall see....

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    you will peep some nice private label krunk steez 12s. have portable.

true, didnt think about that.

and portable is on lock.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    if you're there the 14-15 there's a decent record show that gets people as far away as Tampa so it's a decent selection of ish

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    damn, thats pretty much next weekend, right? i dont know if im gonna be down there quite yet, but thanks for the tip!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    if you can make - DO! I got mad heatage last show (I'll be in NYC this time around)

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    cosign on the show. go early and just walk in the back...no charge. i did it two days in a row. there is no digging frenzy...dudes were just chatting about stra bales and shit. i caught professionals for $2, melton bros for $2, joann garret sealed for $6 and a grip of 45ives...a great show. theres a big fleamarket near there, but i didnt get too much lucky. a nice looking record shop at the little 5 points area (if thats what it was called?) but i didnt find shit. down th eblock from there there is an old school health food coop were they gave me a free salad cause i "looked like i had traveled far"

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I dunno I copped a whole slew of James Brown/People/Maceo Parker LPs and 45s at the salvation army when i was in Birmingham for a day. Not really rare, but nice enough to sell especially when i bought em for a quarter apiece...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    they gave me a free salad cause i "looked like i had traveled far"

thank you, tony. i needed a new location. too much negativity about wacky german ebay dudes.

you guys just sold me on birmingham. i'm going.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    if you're there the 14-15 there's a decent record show that gets people as far away as Tampa so it's a decent selection of ish

wait a second- is it me or is this a Thursday/Friday thing... i can't go to that.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

thank you, tony. i needed a new location. too much negativity about wacky german ebay dudes.

misprint!....i meant they TOSSED my salad cause.... well, neveryoumind
    a*i, the shows i went to were saturday/ sunday
    andi believe happened twice a year

i found acouple things at the thrifts too. definitely not no james brown collection though what you talking about "nothing big". every time i find a jb record for a buck i do a back flip (in my private mind garden)

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Nah not that its not big, just not big dude status It was a good haul though 30-40 pieces polydor to people to king

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

misprint!....i meant they TOSSED my salad cause.... well, neveryoumind
    a*i, the shows i went to were saturday/ sunday
    andi believe happened twice a year

are you sure you don't mean that they DRESSED your salad? i will have to find out myself... i look like I traveled far too right now- but maybe you smelled like your traveled far? whadeva...

any clues on how to find out about this show? I searched the spots online where I know there are record fair listings, but i rarely search for this stuff as i'm not a record show kind of guy. there was no mention of a birmingham show in april. There was a show in another town in march- can't remember the name. oh well..

• Dunno anything about record digging out that way, but I highly recommend checking out the Civil Rights Institute and the 16th Street Baptist Church. Very moving experience. And I'm not really a museum guy.

The Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame is across the square if I remember correctly, but its a great disappointment, altho if you're bored, I think it's free.

About a block from all of that is a soul food joint that pretty much rocks. Can't remember the name. I just remember it was about a block or two to the right when your back is facing the front of the Civil Rights Institute.

I'm sure there's a gang of good soul food joints there, tho.

Folks were really friendly and lowkey when I passed through there.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    My family spent the night in Birmingham once about 10-12 years ago while driving to Panama City or something. I have to say that Birmingham is the only place where I ever went to a Kenny Rogers' Roasters and they had somebody that showed you to a table and refilled your drinks for you. They take their chicken *seriously* down there!