mingering mike in the new yorker

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
just saw this was in the this week's edition. nice work!Good review, too...one of the four mini-reviews this week.MAS PROPS!Mingering Mikeby Dori Hadar (Princeton Architectural Press; $24.95)July 2, 2007 Stevens, Mike;Biographies; Outsider Artists; Record Albums;Album CoversIn the late nineteen-sixties, Mike Stevens, a teen-aged ghetto daydreamer in Washington, D.C., imagined a fabulous existence as Mingering Mike, a soul-music superstar, and he hand-painted a series of colorfully exuberant record-album jackets representing his explosive career. Between 1968 and 1977, he painted some fifty LP covers and nearly as many 45 r.p.m. picture sleeves (inserting cardboard disks with labels and even painted grooves). Into this fictive discography he wove an elaborate personal mythology; pictures, titles, and liner notes incorporate many references to his neighborhood and his family. The covers were discovered at a flea market by Hadar, an R. & B. record collector who subsequently tracked down Stevens. Hadar has clearly discovered a true outsider artist, and the na??ve charm of the album covers is a reminder that the greatest pop musicians succeed at implying an entire world as dazzlingly seductive as their songs. ?

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    (Princeton Architectural Press; $24.95)

Ooo, I was not aware of the publisher.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    (Princeton Architectural Press; $24.95)

Ooo, I was not aware of the publisher.

Not that it's here or there, but I don't believe that that press is actually affilliated with Princeton or its school of architecture.

Also: Kells in the New Yorker

• Man, this makes me reeeeal happy..

Some other magazines to look out for this month with mingering stories: Flaunt (Mike drew some portraits for this issue, you gotta see them), Anthem, and Dazed and Confused.

LA strutters - Mike will be coming your way very soon. I'll let you know the details when I know more!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Mingering Mike finally made the Washington Post today (a little slow out of the gate I'd say):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/06/AR2007070602105.html

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

LA strutters - Mike will be coming your way very soon. I'll let you know the details when I know more!

Please keep us updated. I will definitely be there