Disco gems (benefit related)

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
With all this sillyness aside on here lately...I have volunteered to play some disco for a gentleman who was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. As well, because of his smoking, they may have to remove his jaw. So, this is suppose to be a surprise event to help raise money for him. He used to be a disco dj back in the day, and I really want to make this special. Of course I have disco, but I thought maybe I could get some more ideas.But if you could be kind enough to lead me to a link of a thread(or threads) that was on here with some disco tracks. Or just some ideas. I just really want to make this perfect for him. I have searched for some ideas on here, and we know that search engine is not so helpful sometimes. I am also doing the soulseek thing. I feel like I should drop the not typically heard disco, just to give that whole nostalgic effect, and to see him smile.I know they are some knowledgable disco heads out there who can help!thank you in advance!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The Jones Girls - Youre Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else 12" Long Disco Version

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

margie alexander - gotta get a hold on me 12" from chi sound, killer disco!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    great! thanks everyone!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Elise are you on Microwave?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Elise are you on Microwave?

yes. It's just easier sometimes for things like this, and in general. I wish I could look through this guys crates...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    If you are on microwave that may make things easier. Was he into more mainstream disco or into the stuff we know collect?

I just got my micorwave yesterday so I don't have too much disco ripped but I'm sure Cosmo or one of the dudes here have all the classic/staples for your party.

this is a great look.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    If you are on microwave that may make things easier. Was he into more mainstream disco or into the stuff we know collect?

Im gonna go with 90% records we collect, and maybe 10% of what was popular or necessary to play.

I don't think this is going to be difficult, but I just want to make sure I don't forget anything.

I know he definately dug the Levan Days a lot! He's got some great stories, im sure of it. It's just so sad to see this happen to someone, or anyone. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    you should pick up the levan 12'' collection on CD. Not only for your party but just for some good songs to have. It came out a few years and should be around. I'm assuming you live in Chicago (?) so holler at Dusty Groove.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    definatley have that already.

loose joints is a must.

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

no party is complete without this! IM RICK JAMES BEEEYAAAATCH!! party all the time!

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Some deep DISCO MIXES for you to check out.If you like the set just email the DJ'S for a play list.http://www.bringtheheat.com/

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Check out the UNDERGROUND RAILROAD SHOW 6.24.07 http://archive.wbai.org/

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

just browse the song list in the appendix for some good idears

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Play heavily Larry Levan, Patrick Adams, Tee Scott, Jellybean Benitez, Tom Moulton produced bangers + occasional obscurities.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    So as an update, the benefit went really well. We raised $10,000!!!!!!!!! Which is incredible with the amount of time we had. I am so happy this worked out, and the dude the benefit was for was just shinin'. Had to be one of the best days of my life--just to see people pitch in and take care of someone. He loved the disco, and I made some old people dance.

I am a happy person right now.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, and help!!!

• Options
    So as an update, the benefit went really well. We raised $10,000!!!!!!!!! Which is incredible with the amount of time we had. I am so happy this worked out, and the dude the benefit was for was just shinin'. Had to be one of the best days of my life--just to see people pitch in and take care of someone. He loved the disco, and I made some old people dance.

That's awesome, glad everything worked out. Benefits are always a good time when they go well, seeing the person they are for beaming can lift you for daaaays.

I went to one recently for a local bartender who caught some type of cancer, and I hadn't seen him in a few years. He was a big guy at one point, 250 lbs easy. At the benefit I walked right by him without recognizing him, the chemo took maybe 100-120 lbs off him. He grabs me and I'm stammering for words because I was suprised at how skinny he was and he just yells, "IF YOU FIND MY OTHER HALF BUY HIM A BEER!!!" That was a fun day, they raised around $30,000 for the guy's bills.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

That's awesome, glad everything worked out. Benefits are always a good time when they go well, seeing the person they are for beaming can lift you for daaaays.

I went to one recently for a local bartender who caught some type of cancer, and I hadn't seen him in a few years. He was a big guy at one point, 250 lbs easy. At the benefit I walked right by him without recognizing him, the chemo took maybe 100-120 lbs off him. He grabs me and I'm stammering for words because I was suprised at how skinny he was and he just yells, "IF YOU FIND MY OTHER HALF BUY HIM A BEER!!!" That was a fun day, they raised around $30,000 for the guy's bills.

MAN, thats great they raised that much. Yes, it's crazy how much weight this fella lost as well.

My own grandmother has lost some weight too and it worries me. Her chemo ends this month and I can't wait to see how she is afterwards. It always hurts to see your hero in so much pain.