LA Sushi Call ::::: FOOD STRUT :::::

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Sorry to bother you all with this but I need a new sushi joint for tonight. I'm not happy with my regular dive and I hate gambling on food. I need reccomends. What's your favorite spot for these tastey, raw, morcels? I'm looking in the West Hollywood/Hollywood area, but I'd venture to West LA or even the valley if it's real good.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    um yea, you might wanna head West if you want Sushi.

Yuzen on Santa Monica Blvd. is a favorite.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    my grandma's house in montebello. my uncle used to be a fish buyer for some foofie restaurants so we always got a hookup.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    my grandma's house in montebello. my uncle used to be a fish buyer for some foofie restaurants so we always got a hookup.

Can I make a reservation?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I've only been to the location in Northern VA, but Todai is my shit and it looks like there's several out that way. Yes, its a sushi buffet, but its damn good shit.

http://todai.com/

• my favorite spots in the city are

saki house on la brea (between whilshire and 6th i think) - really good albacore and yellowtail, gets crowded at times

cafe sushi (on beverly i think? close to la cienega and beverly center) - amazing tuna tar tar and toro, nice place w/ sushi bar, a bit pricey but worth it

wakano - (on 3rd street) just about everything here is but its expensive

roku/sushi roku? - (i've only had delivery from them and still dont know where this place is)....everything here is amazing but is also expensive and very well worth it

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    West LA - Kiriko on Sawtelle & Olympic is fantastic. Hide Sushi is also solid, which is on Sawtelle, just north of Santa Monica. Both are affordable.

In Hollywood - Azami is very good. It's on Melrose & Formosa. Not too pricey either.

there are also some expensive places I could list if you wanted, but those 3 can hang with some pricey joints.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    West LA - Kiriko on Sawtelle & Olympic is fantastic. Hide Sushi is also solid, which is on Sawtelle, just north of Santa Monica. Both are affordable.

In Hollywood - Azami is very good. It's on Melrose & Formosa. Not too pricey either.

there are also some expensive places I could list if you wanted, but those 3 can hang with some pricey joints.

Hell yeah. Azami was it. Took the female shopping on Melrose, had amazing sushi, sevice was beyond great, ended with some pinkberry, and all within walking distance of the crib.

Good lookin'

HOLLER AT YO BOY.

My friend just treated me to some BOMB ASS SUSHI in Panorama City? Close to Universal studios. The place is called Chiba Restaurant. Probably one of the best places I've been to!!!! Nigiri, rolls, all kinds of appetizers. The counter right next to the big fish tank is the spot to sit.

LOVED IT. And highly recommended.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I love Yamashiros in Hollywood. A city landmark and a little on the expensive side, but take a honey there and you'll be looking like a It's great food, great sake, great atmosphere. The works

I love Yamashiros in Hollywood. A city landmark and a little on the expensive side, but take a honey there and you'll be looking like a It's great food, great sake, great atmosphere. The works

woah! i can dig it. japanese garden and koi pond is always a good look. no matter how superficial it may look in some places.

it's up in the hollywood hills so the view is insane

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

To each their own but seriously, it's a fake Japanese palace built by a bunch of overly eager Japano-philes (with a lot of money) back in the 1920s or some shit. It's totally cornball, like a Benihana on steroids.

My wife and I went to a wedding there and it was hard not to snicker half the time. The view is pretty kick ass, that much is definitely true, but otherwise, I felt like we were at Epcot Center, in the "Japan" section.

To each their own but seriously, it's a fake Japanese palace built by a bunch of overly eager Japano-philes (with a lot of money) back in the 1920s or some shit. It's totally cornball, like a Benihana on steroids.

My wife and I went to a wedding there and it was hard not to snicker half the time. The view is pretty kick ass, that much is definitely true, but otherwise, I felt like we were at Epcot Center, in the "Japan" section.

"It's totally cornball, like a Benihana on steroids." HA!

Harsh words, but probably true....

You know me - I'm of the school where, if you go to eat any kind of Asian cuisine and it's mostly white people there, you know it's .

Personally, if I want good sushi, it's the kind of place that will throw you out on your ass if you ask for a California roll.

What's up with the Hump? I heard that place is supposed to be all that and a plate of toro. What's the real?

And just to put out my wife and her family's favorite spot: Sushi Sasabune. Not cheap but definitely not snotty or scene-stery and the chef's tasting menu (go with the Japanese version, not the watered-down, wussy American version) is killer.

You know me - I'm of the school where, if you go to eat any kind of Asian cuisine and it's mostly white people there, you know it's .

Personally, if I want good sushi, it's the kind of place that will throw you out on your ass if you ask for a California roll.

What's up with the Hump? I heard that place is supposed to be all that and a plate of toro. What's the real?

And just to put out my wife and her family's favorite spot: Sushi Sasabune. Not cheap but definitely not snotty or scene-stery and the chef's tasting menu (go with the Japanese version, not the watered-down, wussy American version) is killer.

I hear you, but then again if the meal they serve is decent and I'm hungry, i'm like the garbage man, I will clean that shit up. My ex said that "You say everything is good!".

Never heard of the Hump. What's that?

Actually the pagoda is a REAL 600 year old pagoda brought in from Japan, and they hired hundreds of REAL Japanese craftsmen to build the rest of the place in 1914. Cornball? Well, like you said to each his own. But for me, its a fun place in LA to escape for a while.

Actually the pagoda is a REAL 600 year old pagoda brought in from Japan, and they hired hundreds of REAL Japanese craftsmen to build the rest of the place in 1914. Cornball? Well, like you said to each his own. But for me, its a fun place in LA to escape for a while.

Sayin' - it has its charms, especially given its locale but personally - and this is just me talking - I find attempts at "authenticity" in this respect to be corny. It's pure simulacrum, nothing more or less than what you'd see in Las Vegas. And mind you: I like simulacrum but precisely because it wears its fakery so obviously.

That they went to such an extent to import *cough cough* "REAL" Japanese to build it actually makes it even more laughable. I will say though: it's so completely Hollywood in that respect, I almost have to respect it just for being such a symbol of a uniquely Southern Californian impulse. I'm amazed an episode of "ENtourage" hasn't been filmed there yet.

If I were a baller (and single. And actually drank), I'd go there for drinks and an ironic laugh with a date who either 1) totally gets the joke or 2) totally doesn't get it.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

i love this place, miss the old location, but you know
    it's mostly white people there

& to chime in on the hollywood hills spot, its good fish and a fun atmosphere, but it feels a little forced/fake. its strange but in LA, the best, most true sushi is many times found in strip malls.

i love this place, miss the old location, but you know
    it's mostly white people there

& to chime in on the hollywood hills spot, its good fish and a fun atmosphere, but it feels a little forced/fake. its strange but in LA, the best, most true sushi is many times found in strip malls.

Yeah, I liked the old location better. Much cozier (and a little odd) but the food is still good at the new spot.

There's supposed to be a good strip mall sushi spot on National, by Sepulveda though the name evades me right now. Apparently, the head knife there is on some Sushi Dictator shit so apparently...it's quite good. Just don't ask for a spider roll.

um, dudes. this is LA. you realize that the whole city is basically trying to be anywhere but here. palm trees arent exactly indigenous to socal. neither are roses or lawn grasses. los angeles is basically where trends come to die.

palm trees arent exactly indigenous to socal.

Depends on the palm.

These are indigenous:

These are not:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    canary island date palm is the one most people associate with the LA skyline.

they're dying out from a rare disease.

get familiar.

These are not:

come on dude. which one of these pics is screaming LA?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I assume Oliver is referring to Sushi Zo.

the the the realness

I assume Oliver is referring to Sushi Zo.

the the the realness

Your blog has been bookmarked.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    um, dudes. this is LA. you realize that the whole city is basically trying to be anywhere but here. palm trees arent exactly indigenous to socal. neither are roses or lawn grasses. los angeles is basically where trends come to die.

this is so speaking to me right now. i think it's time for me to leave this town.

you realize that the whole city is basically trying to be anywhere but here.

Given that Los Angeles would basically be a desert if not for our aggressive strong-arming of water for the region - yeah, no doubt.

But of course, if LA were not any actually the way it is here, would we want to be anywhere here?

Saying.

this is actually one of the few tings i like about LA.

LA has some many different communities and vibes. That's what makes it so unique and interesting imho.