A lot of cats here diss DJ AM but what about???

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, Adam DJ AM is ill, hands down and a cool dude to boot, paid his dues and all that. I'm glad he is getting $20 Grand to play, seriously. But I don't think anyone here has ever mentioned this guy?! I believe he gets over $100 Grand to play! And honestly, where is his skill and wtf is he doing?

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I dont understand it either...
    I guess he's symbolic of the general bad taste out there and gets paid for being the ambassdor of that taste, in stead of being a skillfull DJ.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    You guys obviously don't understand the power of the mix.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    You guys obviously don't understand that middle class white people on E will rave to anything with headphones on

ANNND if they have a tight tank top and spikey hair, they clearly are gods amongst men.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Methylenedioxymethamphetamine is a hell of a drug.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    wtf is he doing?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Well clearly some of that 100 G's goes to the violinist

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You guys obviously don't understand the power of ADAGIO FOR STRINGS.

YOU MUST DEAL!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Meow.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Meow.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    image is everything.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Anyone have that clip of Tiesto disappearing in a floating box mid set, all cooperfield style? That shit was next level.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    ...and then of course there's the Oakie.

...and then of course there's the Oakie.

now...the way he plays... is really hard to do.
    hes fucking brilliant.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Ok, Adam DJ AM is ill, hands down and a cool dude to boot, paid his dues and all that. I'm glad he is getting $20 Grand to play, seriously. But I don't think anyone here has ever mentioned this guy?! I believe he gets over $100 Grand to play! And honestly, where is his skill and wtf is he doing?

Things he does and Dj Shadow doesn't:

Hot crowd
    hella moving
    smiling
    gets $100k / gig
    got girls at his show
    got live instruments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I dont understand it either...
    I guess he's symbolic of the general bad taste out there and gets paid for being the ambassdor of that taste, in stead of being a skillfull DJ.

hahahaha...i first watched this and didn't even pay attention to the sub titles.

Hot crowd
    hella moving
    smiling
    gets $100k / gig
    got girls at his show
    got live instruments

dj am i have never heard live...much props to him, although im not really into sloppy cuts over the theme song from rent...but whatever shtick works for you to get that $$. now, do i really think a cat like am cant rip shit down in terms of what i want to hear...? of course he can. just as i can play like tiesto. except id go nuts if i had to play 135-140bpms allllll night long...with music that you cant even tell when the last song ended and the new one came in.

im not mad at all that tiesto gets his...but.
    im jaded so excuse me.
    how is this crowd hot ? mindless club music for people who cant dance. this shit is for ukranian landlords that rock sandals with tracksuits..
    hot women with bad taste....are not hot. ive done enough of those. i prefer the hot women that go to a m.a.w. party....all day.
    the masses will always have bad taste...you cant buy good taste. take a look at what most people like from vanilla ice to hammer to... t pain....yea!
    money is not my ruler for success.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    not to hi-jack this thread, but isn't Mark Ronson on this board?

Paging Mark Ronson...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    ukranian landlords that rock sandals with tracksuits..

and socks, for some reason they always wear the socks and sandals thing.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    THE POWERMIX?!?!?!!? This guy has reached new levels of cheese.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    THE POWERMIX?!?!?!!? This guy has reached new levels of cheese.

He's been on a strict diet of these:

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    maaaaaaaaaan, i stlll cant grasp the concept of going to a dj concert. what the fuck kind of shit is that??? even going to see dj shadow just sit on stage is beyond me. i love how they have a video screen of dudes face so you can really get the feel for whats going on. hahahaha. get the fuck outta here with that gay shit.
    this cult of the dj stuff is some really corny bullshit to me. i can completely understand being at a bar or a club where theres a dj setting the tone and settingshit off and making it irresistable for people to dance and get close...but even at those places i dont want to be yelling at a girl over the music for her to hear me. and setting up a venue where the dj is the center of attention and everyone is watching them is the gayest shit evar.
    but hey, obviously some people are into that... so whatever makes their clit jump

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    maaaaaaaaaan, i stlll cant grasp whatever makes their clit jump

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Hot crowd
    hella moving
    smiling
    gets $100k / gig
    got girls at his show
    got live instruments

dj am i have never heard live...much props to him, although im not really into sloppy cuts over the theme song from rent...but whatever shtick works for you to get that $$. now, do i really think a cat like am cant rip shit down in terms of what i want to hear...? of course he can. just as i can play like tiesto. except id go nuts if i had to play 135-140bpms allllll night long...with music that you cant even tell when the last song ended and the new one came in.

im not mad at all that tiesto gets his...but.
    im jaded so excuse me.
    how is this crowd hot ? mindless club music for people who cant dance. this shit is for ukranian landlords that rock sandals with tracksuits..
    hot women with bad taste....are not hot. ive done enough of those. i prefer the hot women that go to a m.a.w. party....all day.
    the masses will always have bad taste...you cant buy good taste. take a look at what most people like from vanilla ice to hammer to... t pain....yea!
    money is not my ruler for success.

Hot crowd as in people are having fun. As opposed to a dj shadow concert where he drops "Organ Donor" and people cheer almost out of obligation cuz they paid $40 and somehow need to make their experience worthwhile.

I was mainly joking though.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Fuck tiesto and all trance deejays. Play one side of a 12" for twelve minutes, you have got to be kidding me. Your style is boring. This is most definitely not cool to be.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    a friend of mine played a venue in chicago on a saturday. He was making small talk with the sound engineer about what happened the previous night and it turned out it was this dude terry (perry?) corston (maybe forsten??). Apparently this guy was named the number one dj in the world a year or so ago by some magazine and is basically just a tiesto/oakie clone.

the sound engineer went on to describe this guys method of djing:

His set was completely pre-programed. He djed with two cdj's and left them on 0% pitch the entire time. This meant that he adjusted all the tempos back at the lab before he got to the club. as well, the sound guy noticed that the whole set was in harmonic nirvana so he must of adjusted the key of all the songs as well. All he did was start songs and fade them out and if he had his cue points set...and im sure he did... then he didnt even need to bother to remember the set. On top of that all this was done off of two cd's. how boring.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    im kinda out of the loop here -

why do people hate on AM? deerocks post prompted me to check out youtube for an idea of what he does. so whats the problem with the guy? did he step on some toes to get where hes at?

• If you look at closely to the crowd, people are not so much into it...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    maaaaaaaaaan, i stlll cant grasp the concept of going to a dj concert. what the fuck kind of shit is that??? even going to see dj shadow just sit on stage is beyond me. i love how they have a video screen of dudes face so you can really get the feel for whats going on. hahahaha. get the fuck outta here with that gay shit.
    this cult of the dj stuff is some really corny bullshit to me. i can completely understand being at a bar or a club where theres a dj setting the tone and settingshit off and making it irresistable for people to dance and get close...but even at those places i dont want to be yelling at a girl over the music for her to hear me. and setting up a venue where the dj is the center of attention and everyone is watching them is the gayest shit evar.
    but hey, obviously some people are into that... so whatever makes their clit jump

FUCKING CLASSIC! SHit had me laughing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ferry corsten..yeah my friends that are into trance love this guy

he has a song with Guru that is possibly one of the worst songs in recent history