LEARNING DRUMS (knowledge wanted related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
i've wanted to learn drums for a long time but never pursued it because i didn't think it was practical compared to something like guitar. they're too big, too loud for neighbors, kinda obnoxious to hear someone practicing just drums blah blah blah. but now i'm like fuck it, so i'm going to start taking lessons as this dude's studio probably once or twice a week. i don't have a kit of my own yet, and space is kinda limited in my flat but i can make space for it. so i have a question about what to look for in my first kit. i just want something i can practice rudiments on at home but i have roommates and neighbors. (roommates are super cool about noise but i haven't really 'tested' the neighbors yet.) i also don't know anything about drum sets. is there such a thing as drum sets that are on the quiet side? i don't want big drum sounds cause of noise complaint risks. another thing, is it unwise to buy a cheapish set in a $350-450 range for a beginner? i am looking at this right nowhttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-Accent-5Piece-Combo-Drum-Set?sku=446306thanks in advance

Comments

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I'm not to sure about beginner kits, but a set of dampeners or silencers like these might allow you to practice more often at home. I had a set for a junk kit. Not as much fun to play, but definitely easier on the roommates and neighbors.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    If you have the money to blow then do it. I would recomd you put together a frankenstien set out of high quality individual pieces you'll find over time.

Just get a kick, a snare and a high hat and worry about the rest when you can actually keep a beat. To many people want a big set when really they aren't going to be able to do much with it for a while. (AYO!)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    zeke thank you for the silencer tip! i will definitely need to get these

Just get a kick, a snare and a high hat and worry about the rest when you can actually keep a beat. To many people want a big set when really they aren't going to be able to do much with it for a while. (AYO!)

the thing is i've actually played around on other people's drum sets in the past and can keep a very basic beat with the kick, snare and high hat. i want to have a deeper range, utilize cymbals, learn how to do fills and crap, and have better stick control

i also am a little hesitant to burn through money for a fancy kit since i want to have some extra dough for maybe a ny, chi or montreal trip this summer

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    zeke thank you for the silencer tip! i will definitely need to get these

the thing is i've actually played around on other people's drum sets in the past and can keep a very basic beat with the kick, snare and high hat. i want to have a deeper range, utilize cymbals, learn how to do fills and crap, and have better stick control

i also am a little hesitant to burn through money for a fancy kit since i want to have some extra dough for maybe a ny, chi or montreal trip this summer

The snare, kick, hi-hat combo is a good recomendation, there are a million things you can learn on these. In the long run it's much better to have a really nice snare, kick, hi-hat, that you can add to, than a second rate full kit.

That said, if you've got your heart set on a full kit I would recomend finding a decent secondhand kit, you'll get much more for your money this way.
    There's always plenty of people with unused kits. If you're really lucky, and know some musicinas, you may find people who have a old kit, or snare, etc sitting doing nothing, that they may give you. This is how I put together my first kit.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Holler at your girl STEF! She's taking lessons now. Y'all could form the new .38 Special.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Oh and, playing with those silencers sucks. If you're going to learn, and practice at home, you have to be prepared to get a major from your neighbours.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

The snare, kick, hi-hat combo is a good recomendation,

i agree, but definitely add a ride cymbal. you got 4 limbs (i assume) so get to working on their coordination and independence! (I understand you want more drums, but really you can go sooo far w/ these 4 elements)

Throwing a towel over your snare helps dampen the volume.
    I also recently got a drum pad which goes a long way in preventing neighbors from hearing how bad i am when practicing rudimentary stuff.
    lastly, i'd recommend getting a metronome w/ headphone capabilities. so important.

good luck and have fun Ms. Head!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Well, Brand NEW kits are mad expensive, there's a place here that has real good deals.. like $700-650 range. The type of drums you buy is up to your ear. Don't trust anyones opinion play it for yourself. Find a drummer to go drum shopping with you. Who can show you how to tune or detune a drum.

Personally, I love Tama drumkits, Yamaha's are usually passable, Paiste cymbals. I usually search for 70's snares and I tune them tight. You can get away with building a monster kit, but usually people don't keep those for long, and it's usually better to just put your money into a set you're going to actually use. I mean it all depends on how serious you are, if you're just gonna be a bedroom drummer, playing along to funky drummer. Then a do it yourself pawnshop jawn might be your thing. If you want to play with a band, you're going to need something reliable. Also, it depends on what type of music you're playing.

- spidey

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

i agree, but definitely add a ride cymbal.

And a crash is good too. In my mind, that's the perfect drum kit. The Dap Kings and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble are two examples of groups whose drummers use, pretty much, that exact setup.

Less is more.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Oh, Also keep an eye on Craigslist musical instruments. Subscribe to the RSS feeds great drum deals all over.

- spidey

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    if you're hard up for space, cash and cannot make as much noise as you'd like, i would recommend this:

The Pearl Rhythm Traveler

for 399. you can get the whole package including the hardware and cymbals. granted the cymbals are complete shyte and will need to buy new ones, but the drums are actually pretty well made and the sound is dope. even used this in a few of my recordings. it comes with regular skins as well as mesh skins for quiet sessions when you need them. best part about it is that it takes hardly any room to store.

good luck in learning. i've been playing for close to 20 years now and still play regularly.

cheers,

kg.

• rsmeetsrsmeets 35 Posts
    you can find pretty good used kits if you know what you are looking for- my advice, find your favorite drummer in your area and talk to them- they may even have good used gear that they are looking to sell or know someone who does.. you just have to look look look.. as for learning itself.. rudiments, all you need are two sticks (and maybe a practice pad) quiet and cheap to start.. you'll want to get a metronome too.. and maybe buy a beginner drum video to get you started, then once you get some things together, go to a pro to learn the real deal..

hope this helps,
    rob

ps.
    drum dampeners kind of suck to practice on IMO..

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Holler at your girl STEF! She's taking lessons now. Y'all could form the new .38 Special.

HAHAHAHA. they are always showing their videos on VH-1 Classics. it's mind boggling

anyway, i like the snare better when loose and will probably mostly be playing rock drums, but i'm not ruling anything out.

thank you all for the great advice. i'm even more excited now (and a little overwhelmed with all the suggestions) but i'm glad to know i have a lot of options now for my own set up. that pearl rhythm traveller set seems kinda perfect for the limitations of my space but yeah i won't really know which drums are perfect for me until i try them out in person. i just don't want to take a stab in the dark so thanks again

• hcrunkhcrunk 116 Posts

i agree, but definitely add a ride cymbal. you got 4 limbs (i assume)

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    In a few years when you get good and have a lot of cash available I will do you a good price on one of my custom made kits

[shamelessSelfPromotion]www.spiritdrums.com[/shamelessSelfPromotion]