My Powerbook Hard Drive Crashed (WHY MUST I CRY!?)

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
*sigh*Yeah and basically all my mp3's for Microwave are now gone and I have to try and remember what I had on their.According to MAC I can get a brand new hard drive no problemo since it's still under warranty but if I wanted to get my old hard drive resurected I'll have to take to one of those data retrival spots (I'm leaning towards Lazuras in S.F.) for a free estimateMy point, should I even bother leaving my computer tied up and out of comission for 3-5 days? How much does this cost considering I had about 35 gigs out of 40 out it filled? Can I choose which files in my hard drive I want saved?

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Stay strong Yung Phon.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Mine just went out recently as well, have had it nearly 3 years. I had a chance to save my Itunes before hand luckily but that is all I could get off of it before it wouldnt turn on anymore.

I have applecare so I sent it on a tuesday and had it back in my hands with a brand new hardrive on thursday evening, I would have had it @ 10 am thurs. but missed the fedex guy. Less than 72 hours sent and returned and things are running smooth now.

If all else fails, Find the friend with the phattest E-Crates and copy their folders to get some music back, but send it in to apple for sure. Good Luck.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

If all else fails, Find the friend with the phattest E-Crates and copy their folders to get some music back, but send it in to apple for sure. Good Luck.

Yeah, luckily i got a bunch of good deejay dudes/true blue homies who've already offered. I'm more caught up about my "raer" that took forever to record and random cutty mp3's that i've lost.

(damn, am I really tripping about "rare" mp3's? wtf...!??!?!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Not to be the bearer of bad news, but recovery is generally priced to be out of reach for the common man (read: those without a corporate expense account.) When my system HD drive went a couple months ago, the estimate was $1400, no guarantee of getting anything back. I gotten mac estimates at places like tekserve up to 2gs+. I actually ended up getting everything back for about 60 bucks using a program called getdataback, the free version lets you peep whats recoverable, and when you pay and unlock it, it lets you save it to a new drive. Not sure if this works for mac, and you will need a functioning computer and a way to hook the dead drive up, like an external enclosure. It really comes down to if the drive is making noises and clicking, or if it just seems like a corruption/software issue. good luck dood...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ayyo P*****K--

What exactly happened to your hard drive? I know on my old iMac, the hard drive crapped out, and I thought it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to get all that data recovered. As it turned out, the big problem was that the hard drive wasn't spinning fast enough, which meant the computer couldn't even start up. I took it in to a repair spot, and the guy said, "I can get this up and running again, but it's going to die again pretty quickly."

So as it turned out, I spent $50, the guy made it so that the computer would run again, I started it up once, all my data was still there, I dumped it all onto an external drive, and that was it.

I don't know if your situation is similar, but it's possible that all is not lost.

It really comes down to if the drive is making noises and clicking, or if it just seems like a corruption/software issue. good luck dood...

yeah it was making a weird clicking sound....DON'T TEASE ME! I NEED MY COLLECTION OF GANGSTARR INSTRUMETNALS BACK!

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    GANGSTARR INSTRUMETNALS

here is a start

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you don't need to give up your entire comp when you are doing data recovery. Just pull out the hd and you can hand that off to them. It probably isn't worth it as data recovery is expensive. Neither you nor I sound rich enough to afford said luxury.

I'm guessing applecare will want the busted drive before they give you the new one.

Now, go backup your shit.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    same thing just happened to me. except im not sure if it was an HD crash or what because i lost all of my photos but lost no music. ive got all my documents. yeah, i lost only my photos---really weird. i think its because i decided to try an old version of soulseeX on here.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    It really comes down to if the drive is making noises and clicking, or if it just seems like a corruption/software issue. good luck dood...

yeah it was making a weird clicking sound....DON'T TEASE ME! I NEED MY COLLECTION OF GANGSTARR INSTRUMETNALS BACK!

Try using a pc with getdataback, have an external drive ready. It got some stuff off a drive i had that was clicking. If you've completely given up, ive been told that putting the drive in the freezer can help. Ive never tried myself, but maybe someone on here can school me on how long to leave it in, i think i remember hearing no more than 15 min. Just have drive space ready if all your ish mircaculously appears.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Hey P,
    that sucks. I had a hard drive die on me about 6 months ago and it sucked. My warranty had just ended, so apple basically wanted half of the computer's value to replace the hard drive (mac mini). I bought a drive myself and replaced it for less than half the cost.

Like mentioned before, data recovery is really expensive and probably not worth it for you. My suggestion would be to try a few things before apple replaces it.

There is a way to hook up the laptop with a firewire cable connected to another computer and try to force it to show up as an external hard drive. You may be able to open up your music folders that way.

The other thing I would suggest is to ask apple if you can have the broken hard drive back. If you can get it back then you can always pop that hard drive into a (laptop size) clam shell and try to boot it up or run disk utility on it. It's good to have. Maybe you'll figure it out or find some program to help you. Or maybe you'll dj a party with a data recovery person who you'll befriend and he'll fix it. You might as well ask for it back and see what you can do. Otherwise they'll just toss it in the trash.

If you went to the mac store and the "genius" wasn't able to even locate any of your folders or even an image of your hard drive then it's probably gone for good. The shitty thing is that all the information is there, but it's probably a bad sequence at the beginning of the drive that is fucking up everything after it. That's when you have to pay the big bucks for the data detectives to figure it out. It's not worth it though. Consider it a fresh start. You won't be lugging around all those heavy crates with various random mp3s you never played, but kept around for some reason.

There is a way to hook up the laptop with a firewire cable connected to another computer and try to force it to show up as an external hard drive. You may be able to open up your music folders that way.

The other thing I would suggest is to ask apple if you can have the broken hard drive back. If you can get it back then you can always pop that hard drive into a (laptop size) clam shell and try to boot it up or run disk utility on it. It's good to have. Maybe you'll figure it out or find some program to help you

Word Tommy. I just dropped it off and the dude himself was a deejay (!) so hopefully he'll be sympathetic and a straight shooter.

I mentioned the whole reading the drive via a clam shell or through firewire and the guy at the Mac store didn't really see that as an option. And yeah basically the computer WILL start if the HD is removed but if it's connected it won't. Regardless, I'm going to keep the HD because i'm an optimistic pack-rat like that.

Luckily I'm still under warranty and have an external drive (500 gigs?) ready.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    hhmm.. Looks like I'll have a lot of work come the summer time. awesome.

- spidey

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    hhmm.. Looks like I'll have a lot of work come the summer time. awesome.

- spidey

?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I fix computers, and desperately need the cash.

- spidey