what do you think this will do in a couple years?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• Options
    Damn! I bought that at the last show, great song. If they have more this week I'm scooping up a bunch.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Seller information
    da-real-beat-digger[/b] ( 389)

sweeet! REAL SWEET!

• Options
    it's unavailable now? Or do they still sell it at shows?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I dont know if they are still selling it at shows...but I am sure there werent as many as a normal Daptone pressing. They didnt have many left( a few boxes)when they came through here in February. So, since then they prolly have gone through most of the ones that were left.

• is this the kenny rogers tune? how much was it at the shows?
    I JUST DROPPED IN TO SEE WHAT CONDITION MY CONDITION IS IN

• Options
    how much was it at the shows?

I don't remember, I bought a bunch of different stuff. I didn't even know it was a Kenny Rogers song, I know it as one of the songs from The Big Lebowski.

is this the kenny rogers tune? how much was it at the shows?

it was 5 bucks...and yes it is the Kenny Rogers/First Edition tune, the Dap Kings version sounds almost exactly like the Bettye LaVette version, which rumor has it impressed Kenny Rogers so much he signed her to his Silver Fox label.

it was 5 bucks...and yes it is the Kenny Rogers/First Edition tune, the Dap Kings version sounds almost exactly like the Bettye LaVette version, which rumor has it impressed Kenny Rogers so much he signed her to his Silver Fox label.

I'm pretty sure Silver Fox was run by Kenny's brother Lelan (he of the International Artists label)

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I'm pretty sure Silver Fox was run by Kenny's brother Lelan (he of the International Artists label)

Are you sure Lavette got signed to Silver Fox? I can't bring any 45s of hers on that label to mind - Gloria Taylor has a bunch though.

---

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it's a little bit cheaper here:

http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/dap1022.html

Are you sure Lavette got signed to Silver Fox? I can't bring any 45s of hers on that label to mind - Gloria Taylor has a bunch though.

---

Betty Lavette

He made a woman out of me / Nearer to you - Silver Fox 17 * 1969

Do your duty / Love made a fool of me - Silver Fox 21 * 1969

Games people play / My train's coming in - Silver Fox 24 * 1969

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

I Just bought 3 copies. Thanks for the link.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

---

Betty Lavette

He made a woman out of me / Nearer to you - Silver Fox 17 * 1969

Games people play / My train's coming in - Silver Fox 24 * 1969

ok, that rings some bells - now I know why I forgot about 'em too...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have so many of these Desco, soulfire, daptone 45s that they outnumber the OGs that I have. It never dawned on me that they would be worth much.

• it's a little bit cheaper here:

Good idea...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: I don't think current 45s are going to retain some of the ridiculous values we've seen on them in the long term... collectable, sure, but I won't be surprised if some of these $50-100 45s end up being $20-50 records several years from now... I'm including 'blazing downtempo' in here too...

That said I think SJ&theDK's are one of few recent groups that will have relevance in the future, and considering how limited (and good) this single is, this could be one for the ages...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Service Temporarily Unavailable

SoulStrut effect in full swing...

• it's a little bit cheaper here:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

SoulStrut effect in full swing...

I got in under the wire....hee hee.....

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: I don't think current 45s are going to retain some of the ridiculous values we've seen on them in the long term... collectable, sure, but I won't be surprised if some of these $50-100 45s end up being $20-50 records several years from now... I'm including 'blazing downtempo' in here too...

I'd easily spend $50+ for 41st Street Breakdown, Stone Cold & a few others I need to track down & it wouldn't matter if they were woth $20 in 10 years. I'm in no hurry, though, so if they come down in price, even better.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    it might be the seller. that guy got over 100 for the rhythm machine reissue.

• That guy = Demonfuzz recordshop Cardova mentioned in the Antwerp / Brussels thread.

• is this the kenny rogers tune?

The drummer wrote this song. They should have let him in the song circle more often. Dude looks like Conan O'Brian!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Man, I don't know if anyone can top the First Edition version. Plus, it was used in The Big Lebowski, so extra points there. The Betty Lavette version doesn't really do it for me and I'm certainly not going to drop $100 for it. Although, now I regret passing up the Sharon Jones when it was available because I didn't think it was as good as the homie Kenny Rogers.

Some of the new funk will hopefully drop in price because there's some good ones I missed, but I'm not gonna stress over any of it. It's not THAT good.

DJ Ferrari

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Hear the Betty Lavette version at about 40:00 on this DeepFunk radio show.

Good one. Pressing is shit, though. At least on mine.

Good one. Pressing is shit, though. At least on mine.

just listened to mine, sounds good, needs a little treble and wee bitty cut in the mids, but sounds good to me....