Wilson Simonal Recommendations?

NutsNuts 44 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I just picked up Wilson Simonals - "Simonal", and I really really like it. Can anyone recommend me any of his other records or other similar sounding artists?

Comments

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Talk to CHAN!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    all the volumes of "Alegria, Alegria"

Mexico 70

shit, I love dudes voice and delivery, I like everything I have ever heard.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i kind of have a hard time with his 60's stuff- some of it is good, some is a bit poppy for me, but maybe my tastes have changed since I last listened.

But I still dig on "Olha balandro... e bufo no birrolho grinzo!"

and yes... i had to actually grab the album to write that.

nice '75 dancefloor samba tunes, cool production, and just feel good shit.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I just picked up Wilson Simonals - "Simonal", and I really really like it. Can anyone recommend me any of his other records or other similar sounding artists?

Nuts

You can??t do wrong if you buy his albums released by Odeon:

??? Tem algo mais (1963) Odeon LP
    ??? A nova dimens??o do samba (1964) Odeon LP
    ??? S'imbora (1965) Odeon LP
    ??? Wilson Simonal (1965) Odeon LP
    ??? Vou deixar cair... (1966) Odeon LP
    ??? Wilson Simonal ao vivo (1967) Odeon LP
    ??? Alegria, alegria!!! (1967) Odeon LP
    ??? Alegria, alegria vol. 2 ou Quem n??o tem swing morre com a boca cheia de formiga (1968) Odeon LP
    ??? Alegria, alegria vol. 3 ou Cada um tem o disco que merece (1969) Odeon LP
    ??? Alegria, alegria vol. 4 ou Homenagem ?? gra??a, ?? beleza, ao charme e ao veneno da mulher brasileira (1969) Odeon LP
    ??? Simona (1970) Odeon LP
    ??? J??ia (1971) Odeon LP

If you can find Simonal??s LPs, you can have them on CDs; they were all released in a box set: Wilson Simonal Na Odeon 1961 - 1971

Peace

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    all the volumes of "Alegria, Alegria"

Mexico 70

shit, I love dudes voice and delivery, I like everything I have ever heard.

Yeah, I agree. I once sold this copy of Alegria Alegria 3 (or was it 2?) to some dude for a lot money. Ah, good memories...

• For the funky stuff, check his track "Mexerico da Candheira" (sp?)... it was on an LP, forget the name, from 73 or 74 on brazilian RCA... perhaps his funkiest moment. I like Joia Joia, but it's definitely more in the MPB vein. Speaking of Simonal, he's interesting cause he was ostracised in the 70s for his alleged support of the military junta. I believe there was an article in Waxpoetics a while back.

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    Thanks alot for the replies, I'll try to get hold of some of the ones you've mentioned.