mr scruff - possibly my fav dj?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I'm not sure if any of you dudes are checking for him, his production output has its moments. Yes he blew up beacuse of moondog x lincoln navigator commercial x brazing downtempo. Don't hold that against him though, he is a top notch dj. Every time I've seen him, dude has been impeccable. Connecting the dots through extended sets, I really dig his philosophy of dj'ing an entire night (5-6 hrs).His nerdery on audio quality is appreciated too, his sets sound excellent. If interested, I would suggest you listen to a few of these....http://feed.mrscruff.com/cms/forum/viewtopic.php?t=377plus I rike his draw-ings.

Comments

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    word, thanks for sharing this! i love his productions, even the moondog one, i still play that out. and i have this quantic remix of one of his tracks that kills. ooh damn...the first mix starts off with "life is just a moment" nice!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    This guy is cool. My favorite Ninja Tune artist by far.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    his rmx of Jazzanova's "boom clicky boom klack" was one of the best tunes of 2006.

just looking at his playlists, anyone that can go from impossible dreamers to olli ahvenlahti gets props from me.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    his rmx of Jazzanova's "boom clicky boom klack" was one of the best tunes of 2006.

I'ma try to come out to Lot 16 tonight man!

I'll check out those links you posted for sure

peace

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    When I went on my honeymoon around Europe 5 years ago my wife and I made a stop in Brighton, England and caught Mr. Scruff at Concorde II. He mixed funk 45s for 6 hours straight and never missed a beat. The flow from record to record was on point all night. By far one of the best dj's I've heard play 45's like that.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    even the moondog one, i still play that out.

Really feelin' Scruffs vibe today, a lot of tracks I haven't heard and some great classics! His jazz selection is top notch, also like how he plays a decent length of each track.

Good on ya for posting this.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    one of the best dj's and I like a lot of his production as well

• choleracholera 101 Posts

I'ma try to come out to Lot 16 tonight man!

I'll check out those links you posted for sure

peace

Yes man! Lot 16 should be fun times. I'll be entering my dirty thirties in classical boozer fashion.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like his DJing better than his production. He is also a very nice person which goes a long way. I opened for him a while ago in Toronto and then saw him in Paris with Diplo (free tickets). He remembered the Toronto show (well, he said he did) and then played an hour straight of ska and rocksteady after I asked for a couple reggae songs. Nice!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    saw him in Paris with Diplo (free tickets).
    odd pairing? But cool!

I really dig his vibe. I got the samarui.fm mix bumpin now!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think he has been here 3 times, twice at roxy and once at fez batik, all by milk.

All 3 hands down have been the best milk parties I've been to. Should petition those guys to bring him back.

the two mixes on giantstep are so on point.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This guy is cool.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    ive always had a soft spot for this

maybe its the video.

i wonder if him and koala do crafts together.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think he has been here 3 times, twice at roxy and once at fez batik, all by milk.

All 3 hands down have been the best milk parties I've been to. Should petition those guys to bring him back.

that was the first (and last) Milk party I had been to since I played them in Kensington Market, upstairs near el Trompo. it felt like it was half Mr.Scruff fans and half weekend warrior club-goer types. I had a great time.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I like Mr Scruff a lot....that mix cd he did "Keep it Solid Steel" is just awesome...great selection of tracks and very well mixed too.
    His artwork is off the charts as well.

I think he has his own teabrand these days too.....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I opened up for him once, which meant playing on his setup: three turntables, two CDjs, and outboard EQs. Pretty nuts. Dude put down a hell of a set, too. He's really nice with the uptempo breakbeat stuff.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I like his DJing better than his production.

Same here, his Keep It Unreal album was a fun summer record but apart from that I haven't really bothered checking for a lot of his output. Every time I've seen him DJ though he's absolutely killed it. Great selection and always varied.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i really rate this dude as a recording artist. saw him DJ one of his New Years things in Kentish Town 2 years back and it was pretty much . i ain't trying to instigate the hate but it must of been an off-day for him or something.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Must have caught him on an off-day aswell two years ago, 't was really shit.

First Ninja LP is a alltime classic though.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    he's a nice guy. ive seen him dj twice and i stuggled as his sets are to long in the tooth. they get a bit boring after 40/50 mins.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    watched his evolution from the "fish" days onward

always an incredibly hard working dj, that plays really long sets.. whatever you think of his music (and personally I prefer his dj sets to the production too) he works it hard and gives the crowd what they need

his tea tents at various summer festivals around the uk always make me laugh

plus he's a lovely guy

respect from this general direction

ps I still love "fish", it makes me laugh.

pps I have an old(ish) giveaway mixtape that includes Date With The Rain, Koop - Marcus Enochson remix, some others.. it's great.

ppps I also have a mr scruff jigsaw puzzle if someone on here is a big fan and is desperate for it!