TAGSTYLE... Check the Technique

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Just a few quick hands. A Wicket

And an old school West Philly print called Diamond Style or Amazon Style

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Post deleted by spelunk

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I will crush any of you at a shitty tag battle. Seriously, none of y'all wanna see me when it comes to having zero visual arts skills.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Unfortunately I really don't have any photos of my shit, except for a few jawns here and there from the late 90s.

Here's a piece I did on the back of my notebook in 1990. Super on some teenager shit. Dig the whole "America is the prison, we're the jailbreak" bit!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Joint I did up in North Philly back in 1999

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Drez that DUSTER UA is like the hottest shit I've seen in a long while. That dude was a huge inspiration to me.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    WOW!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It goes from the BOOK

to the WALL (part of a bigger MSP/KTS production with CENSE, KEMOS, ENEM and JUNE)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

always nice to shout out your girl in a piece. respect!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Joint I did up in North Philly back in 1999

fresh...

My girl was with me while I was doing this one and kept on yelling ay me cause she thought I was fucking the color combos up!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I went hiking the other day in the canyons and I saw a couple tags on a boulder, and I was pissed. It looked rather toy. And I was thinking "why here?!". But I am not mad at this. Mind blown on many of these.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    some freights from college:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    oh shit........................................................... peep the anarchy symbol ^^^^

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I went hiking the other day in the canyons and I saw a couple tags on a boulder, and I was pissed. It looked rather toy. And I was thinking "why here?!". But I am not mad at this. Mind blown on many of these.

dont lie about hiking homie, you were on some tito ortiz training in the hills steeze

yup, higher elevation training. =P

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Drez that DUSTER UA is like the hottest shit I've seen in a long while. That dude was a huge inspiration to me.

yo that shit is mad was done at belmont way back... circa 90-91
    i caught right b4 it was dissed by haters...

I haven't been there since the mid-late 90's. My man Nacho used to joke that C.H.U.D. lived in there.

We need him to get in on this thread and post pics of his ride that Mear and Toonz did.

dream TDK ?Crew (RIP)

"bring your bitch with you to do your fill-in" hahaha how's Dream putting Cos on blast from the afterlife? just kidding.

Thurs.
    April 19
    Mike Dream Art Exhibition Opening Reception
    RX Gallery, 132 Eddy Street, SF www.rxgallery.com
    8 pm-late, Free
    DJ Fuze, Myke One, Sake One

Thurs.
    April 19
    Mike Dream Art Exhibition Opening Reception
    RX Gallery, 132 Eddy Street, SF www.rxgallery.com
    8 pm-late, Free
    DJ Fuze, Myke One, Sake One

did you peep the doze exibit on disply there now?

nah I skipped that. I may peep this though.

• Why did I think the girl who's real name is Dream, was Vogue? Who the fuck was the girl Dream then? Go aheead and hit ignore user because I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

DREAM

I guess she was just another nag champa enthusiast who liked to paint walls.

i think that's Dream Hampton who is a journalist/filmaker, etc.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Euro Edition:

1994, Trains were rather easy to paint back then, me and my man hush on German steel...

this guy Dmax snitched on more than 15 people here in my hometown, apparently i still see him from time to time and ice grill him. he got the beatdown though more than once and is effed up for life...

This guy here is the European Train King (aka WUT, amongst other names). He has painted more than 10000 cars and is active since 84. He has painted trains everywhere, from Hong Kong to NY to Scotland. Rumour has it that he is currently in Brasil painting legal whole trains with Os Gemeos

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    EuroKings Amsterdam Edition. Nothing compared to amsterdam back in the days. So sad its all gone now. Those were the golden days with next level styles each month...

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    A Graffiti related story in the news here in Australia

Graffiti vigilante now art vandal

By Nick Squires

An Australian MP's crusade against graffiti backfired when he spent five hours scrubbing off what turned out to be a specially commissioned piece of street art.

Steve Pratt invited the media to witness his one-man campaign, calling the artwork painted on the side of a concrete bridge in Canberra an "obnoxious piece of vivid graffiti vandalism". It was only after he had reduced it to a discoloured smear with the aid of stiff brushes and industrial-strength detergent that it emerged it had been commissioned by a local sports club.

The Chief Minister of the Australian Capital Territory, John Stanhope, said the Opposition MP's artistic vigilantism had been referred to police for investigation. "In his eagerness to thump the law and order tub ... [he] may have joined the ranks of those he so consistently reviles - the vandals of our community."

Pratt said his stand against graffiti was part of a wider campaign against vandalism and anti-social behaviour, which he alleged the ACT Government had failed to curb.

But the Ultimate Frisbee club wants the MP to pay for it to be replaced. "It's now a grimy mess," said club secretary Greg Sparksman. "Ironically, he's exposed the illegal graffiti tags that were on the wall before the painting went up."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some of the shit in here is fucking mindblowing. Great thread, people.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

espo sever

I love these roller peices. I wanna try and do these top of the building lean over the side style peices but my vertigo is keeping me away.......

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Yeah let's make this the OFFICIAL GRAFFITI THREAD.

KET GOT GAT

Graffiti Figure Admired as Artist Now Faces Vandalism Charges
    NEW YORK TIMES
    By THOMAS J. LUECK
    Published: April 19, 2007

When graffiti was rampant in New York City during the 1980s, a Brooklyn teenager known as Alan Ket was at the top of his game. In broad strokes of aerosol spray, he slashed brash images on subway cars, branched out to vandalize trains in Europe, and became such a fixture in the flourishing graffiti culture that he was asked to speak at several universities.

Now, as graffiti has evolved into a popular art form, it is drawing both the outrage of public officials and the scrutiny of law enforcement authorities. And for the first time, Mr. Ket, whose graffiti work has been shown in galleries, is facing a serious legal gantlet.

Relying on computer evidence seized from his Manhattan home last October, the district attorneys in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens have charged Mr. Ket under his real name, Alain Maridue??a, with 14 criminal counts, including trespass, criminal mischief and making graffiti. If convicted, he could potentially face decades in prison and huge financial penalties.

Mr. Maridue??a is charged with painting several recent images on subway cars, a form of graffiti vandalism that has largely died out since the early 1990s. But his case, and his recent professional history, underscore how graffiti has been propelled from the shadowy corners of the subway system into a global genre of virtual images circulated on the Internet, and become a powerful influence in design, fashion and graphics.

The case could pose an important test for prosecutors and the police, since Mr. Maridue??a was never caught in the act and has no previous criminal record in New York City. Instead, the government???s case appears to be based largely on what prosecutors say is the unmistakable detail of his graffiti signature ??? his ???KET??? tag ??? and the fact that the tag is visible on photographs of illegal subway graffiti that were entered into Mr. Maridue??a???s home computer only hours after identical work was discovered on subway cars.

There is apparently no clear precedent for this type of prosecution of graffiti vandalism; graffiti charges usually tie a defendant physically to the scene of a defacing. ???I know of no case specifically on this point,??? said Michael Brovner, the senior assistant district attorney in Queens, where Mr. Maridue??a is accused of defacing a subway car parked near a Queens subway station on March 22, 2006, and of leaving a readily visible tag.

Mr. Maridue??a, 36, has pleaded not guilty to all the charges. He maintained in an interview that he was nowhere near the subway trains or stations that were vandalized, and said he believed he was being singled out because of his professional ties to Marc Ecko, the designer, who has championed graffiti as an art form and has tangled with City Hall over graffiti.

Mr. Maridue??a said that he had not committed any graffiti vandalism since his daughter was born in 1994, and that the images and tags that prosecutors are now trying to tie to him were the work of copycat graffiti sprayers.

???I do consider myself a good friend of Alain???s,??? Mr. Ecko said in an e-mail response to questions, adding, ???I will consider using my personal resources to fight??? the case against Mr. Maridue??a.

It remains unclear what evidence the district attorneys may have beyond photographs of graffiti. None of the cases have reached the point at which prosecutors must show their evidentiary hand through the discovery process.

John O???Mara, an assistant district attorney who is prosecuting Mr. Maridue??a in Brooklyn, said, ???A tag is not a fingerprint,??? and added that he ???would not have elected to proceed solely on a tag.??? But he said the government could also show that photographs of graffiti on Mr. Maridue??a???s computer were entered soon after the vandalism took place.

A legal scholar and an expert on graffiti vandalism differed on the strength of the case, based on the limited information that has been disclosed by prosecutors.

???It sounds like a strong circumstantial case,??? said Carol Steiker, a professor at Harvard Law School. ???People are convicted on circumstantial evidence all the time,??? she said, citing an example of someone who is convicted of robbery after being found with the victim???s wallet or credit card.

But Tim Kephart, a California entrepreneur who uses computer models to analyze graffiti tags for law enforcement authorities, said the case against Mr. Maridue??a appeared weak. Mr. Kephart, the chief executive of Graffiti Tracker, said matching a tag to a vandal was crucial, but better evidence would probably be needed to show that Mr. Maridue??a was at or near the sites of the recent subway vandalism.

Mr. Maridue??a???s lawyer, Daniel Perez, said his client spent several nights in jail in March as he was being shuttled between arraignments in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn, and was released only after his friends and family provided a cumulative bail of $65,000 required by three judges.

???Three district attorneys have ganged up on my client,??? Mr. Perez said. ???There has got to be something going on.???

While insisting that he has not vandalized property for more than a decade, Mr. Maridue??a has hardly disappeared from the graffiti scene. According to a biography he has posted online, he has worked as an artistic consultant to companies like Atari, Mo??t & Chandon and MTV. His strongest business ties have been to Ecko Unlimited, the company run by Mr. Ecko.

Mr. Maridue??a was hired by Mr. Ecko in 2001 to start Complex, a fashion magazine for young men. He later created graphics for a video game, ???Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure,??? which was designed by Ecko Unlimited for Atari. Public officials condemned the game because it offered players the virtual equivalent of creating their own graffiti.

The release of the game, and a Chelsea block party staged by Mr. Ecko in August 2005 to celebrate it, led to a clash between Mr. Ecko and City Hall. When city officials learned that Ecko Unlimited planned to have 20 young people at the party paint graffiti on metal panels made to look like the sides of subway cars, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said, ???Defacing subway cars is not a joke.???

Then, after the city revoked the company???s party permit, Mr. Ecko???s lawyers won a court ruling from a federal judge who ordered the permit reinstated and scolded the city for overstepping people???s rights to free speech.

In the case against Mr. Maridue??a, Mr. Brovner said prosecutors could present a video being marketed on the Internet that shows Mr. Maridue??a painting his tag on a subway car. But Carl Weston, the director of Videograf Productions, who said he made the video and has long been an acquaintance of Mr. Maridue??a, said the video was made in the early 1990s, long before the cases of graffiti vandalism that Mr. Maridue??a is now charged with.

Pieces of the prosecutors??? case are included in an affidavit that was submitted by a detective in October to obtain a search warrant for Mr. Maridue??a???s apartment.

The detective, Jonathan Dubroff of the special investigations unit of the police Transit Bureau, describes graffiti that was sprayed in March 2006 in a Brooklyn subway yard. The affidavit says the tag ???KET??? was clearly visible in the graffiti, but provides no evidence that Mr. Maridue??a was at the yard at the time.

The affidavit also provides a short history of how New York City graffiti has evolved, describing a ???clean train policy??? employed by the subway system since 1989, in which any defaced car is taken out of service and cleaned. As a result, the affidavit says, graffiti vandals began to immediately photograph their wor k and eventually started circulating the images on the Internet.

When the police searched Mr. Maridue??a???s apartment on Oct. 12, they removed his computer, which he said held hundreds of graffiti images that had been sent to him, and 3,000 aerosol paint can tops.

Mr. Maridue??a said the paint was a tool of his art trade and the photographs were being stored for a book about the history of New York City graffiti.

???I am a photographer, a sometimes commercial painter and a historian who is totally a fan of the art movement,??? he said. ???I???m just a geek, but they are trying to fry me.???

• I got to see the A'dam subway when it was the most bombed. It was amazing! So many styles so little space. People from all over went there to paint. The Hall of Fame under that highway bridge was like full of next level Delta pieces plus the usual suspects: oase, rhyme, cat 22 etc.

I also saw Dortmund when the HCT Crew (hate clean trains) got up big time. Apperantly it was still pretty easy to do trains at that time.

Free Ket!

Dress

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    more stolen flicks (it's all I got at work), but I know most of the photographers so it's all good:

Old school Denver king Tuke aka 2quick.

the homeboy Voice One SWS DCK KGP TKO WH etc. etc. etc. Another older school head from Denver. Been in the streets since early 90s.

HUGE Koze TKO right on the freeway in downtown Denver, hard to miss this shit.

the homie Acee with a funky ass fill.

This guy Taste BTR been killin' it with style lately.

Nime TKO with a nice fill.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i interviewed him once he's a real nice guy. he was telling me about his love for graff and how he used to hit the buses real hard back in the day.